• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I always thought collectors should be saving up for or spending on the intial TWD treatment by Kirkman/Moore called "Dead Planet". It's a kinda TWD prototype set in space. Not 9.8 1's. That's the holy grail of TWD and if you don't know what it is until now, then you aren't a TWD collector. I wonder what one would go for? hm

(tsk)

:roflmao:

Count me as a true WD fan, since I know what it is... ;)

For those who don't, and would like to read it, PM me. I have scans.

I always thought collectors should be saving up for or spending on the intial TWD treatment by Kirkman/Moore called "Dead Planet". It's a kinda TWD prototype set in space. Not 9.8 1's. That's the holy grail of TWD and if you don't know what it is until now, then you aren't a TWD collector. I wonder what one would go for? hm

I've been seeking that out for years now :(

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Why? To flip it of course!

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

If that doesn't say speculator hype to anyone here, nothing will.

BTW, to answer a PM, I am only 35, nowhere near 50!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

How can I be missing the point? My answer was pretty clear.

There are people who think they can still profit because they feel the franchise has not peaked yet.

I don't think that today's prices are going to be sustained long term, but to pronounce judgement on other's choices of "investment", is not my cup of tea.

By stating this, you seem to be 'missing my point.' Someone has to be left holding the bag. In a speculative bubble everyone ASSUMES that the price will go higher and higher until finally...common sense prevails and prices fall.

If kept for the short term, this is a no different than 'flipping.' Therefore one could make a fairly good argument that for those individuals who wish to engage in this; this is NOT an 'investment', but nothing more than a commodity.

Real estate, gold, no different. I wish the speculators the best of luck. Unfortunately, as stated (and history tells us this); most will lose.

'mint'

No, your point is quite elementary. (Please no more speculative bubble explanations again)

My point is also quite elementary: There are people with differing opinions than yours.

"(Please no more speculative bubble explanations again)"

" There are people with differing opinions than yours."

TWO great points. Education, knowledge, and understanding favor an open mind.

Here are my points on the matter:

Most people need to fail to learn. You will always learn more from your failures than your successes. I think this will be some of the best advice dispensed in this thread; for those buying an item like this for the long term. Also, remember that people will argue until they are 'blue in the face' to defend an item they think has value; speculative or not. I could post a link to an article about this (which deals in speculation in collectibles and the fallacies involved); but it has been over done, especially in the 'bronze age' forum.

Final point; 'invest in what you know.' Easiest way to wealth in a capitalistic society. If you think you can plan on timing the market on this item for a 'quick flip' more power to you. However, as an 'investment' I have my doubts about this item. You are welcome to disagree. Time will tell. Time will tell, my friend.

"Speculation is the mother of all evils.'

-Gordon Gekko (Wall Street 2)

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I remember at $600 people said it was a fad!

They just don`t get it. This is this generations Incredible Hulk #181 and TMNT #1.

Except those comics represent the first appearances of characters that have fan followings. Walking Dead is more about the overall story than any character. I think Walking Dead is more comparable to Cerebus than any super hero comic, and how much are you willing to pay for the first appearance of Lord Julius?

The difference I see in Cerebus and Walking Dead is not many non-comic book fans will ever hear about Cerebus. So I really wouldn`t compare the two franchises.

Dave Sim had many chances to merchandise his great creation,but he refused.

So we won`t be seeing a Cerebus move,animated series or video game anytime soon.

I understand what your saying about the Walking Dead that is more about characters than just one major one,but so is the concept of the X-men.

Really the Walking Dead was the perfect storm,as Marvel and DC haven`t created any iconic characters in the last twenty years in their respective universes. People wanted a little something different than confused multipart crossovers in the DC and Marvel modern universes.Kirkman`s Walking Dead snuck in and stole the show.

Nobody expected this,just like how TMNT came out of nowhere in the 1980s.

IMHO.

Actually there is a Cerebus film in the works.

http://www.facebook.com/cerebusfilm http://www.facebook.com/cerebusfilm

http://cerebus3d.com/

http://www.whatcomix.blogspot.com/

Yeah - but if he has a room full of heads in TV screens and screws his undead daughter whilst raping the bejesus out of Michonne, then really, I think I will hate him too much to care what he looks like!

All seriousness - he is a very,very good actor and is a well known face in the UK.

Anyone else somewhat bothered by the fact the Governor on the tv show looks nothing like the Governor in the comic?

meh, not the biggest deal but I wasn't super excited when I saw him.

I'm going to guess that since the show veers so far away from the comic in a variety of elements, and the audience is acceptant of all that - he'll be accepted, too. To me, it seems that they have translated the spirit of the book pretty well for the show - I expect Governor and Michonne to be handled the same way, too.

Anyone else somewhat bothered by the fact the Governor on the tv show looks nothing like the Governor in the comic?

meh, not the biggest deal but I wasn't super excited when I saw him.

I'm going to guess that since the show veers so far away from the comic in a variety of elements, and the audience is acceptant of all that - he'll be accepted, too. To me, it seems that they have translated the spirit of the book pretty well for the show - I expect Governor and Michonne to be handled the same way, too.

It's very good Casting, David Morrissey is a great actor very capable of being the Evil the show needs :)

:news:

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 last GPA Sale $2k. :gossip:

$1400 in the last C-Link auction. Good flip potential, I wonder how many will not get through CGC fast enough to see those prices?

Actually the longer at CGC the better off the seller will be...when pricing is $2,500 in 6 weeks from now and $3,000 in the spring. :whistle:

Patrick this isn't undisclosed pressing, why such the hate on?

Jim

Edited by cgcworld

$1400 in the last C-Link auction. Good flip potential, I wonder how many will not get through CGC fast enough to see those prices?

Actually the longer at CGC the better off the seller will be...when pricing is $2,500 in 6 weeks from now and $3,000 in the spring. :whistle:

Jim

I stated it is a huge flip Jim? And it is not as much a hate on, as it is a recipe for disaster. I know that alot of people are making good money, but those people know the gravy train has a caboose. The part that bothers me is the "TV fan, turned collector" is not as knowledgeable. So if and when it does drop, how many people will be out hudreds and thousands of dollars? I view it as short term benefit for the hobby, but ultimately lead to people feeling shafted. I want to see the hobby enjoy continued growth Jim, not cash grab bullsheet like the death of superman.

Jim

I stated it is a huge flip Jim? And it is not as much a hate on, as it is a recipe for disaster. I know that alot of people are making good money, but those people know the gravy train has a caboose. The part that bothers me is the "TV fan, turned collector" is not as knowledgeable. So if and when it does drop, how many people will be out hudreds and thousands of dollars? I view it as short term benefit for the hobby, but ultimately lead to people feeling shafted. I want to see the hobby enjoy continued growth Jim, not cash grab bullsheet like the death of superman.

Good point Pat, as a lot of those Walking Dead Weekly fans were the "TV fan, turned collector". Most paid exorbitant amounts for reprints of stories that they could have found in cheap Walking Dead trade paperbacks.

I would say #1 will be the keeper,and I am not sold on #19.

Walking Dead #19 reminds me similar to Daredevil #168.

First Michonne

First Elektra.

From past history using DD #168 as the barometer I see WD #19 taking a bigger hit for price adjustment than issue #1.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I am glad to see this thread is still kicking. Hopefully it will last until the market adjustment and then we can see who was correct.

By market correction I assume you mean short term? This is a book I see having little long term potential (as I have stated in this thread). It is a good 'flip.' That being said, has anyone ever thought of this scenerio:

The television show lasts a few seasons more and then gets 'cut' (for whatever reason; budget, loss of interest, runs its course)...

But then a few years later a Walking Dead movie is released. This would cause new interest in the book. Obviously, it may not be sustained as movie 'hype' only lasts for so long (as folks now buying IM #55 will learn).

Just one of the many possibilities if 'Hollywood' still has an interest in 'comic book' movies at that point in time. There is no reason to assume they would not, as zombies are a universal theme.

I just doubt the long term potential of this book (meaning decades; NOT just a few years).

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I am glad to see this thread is still kicking. Hopefully it will last until the market adjustment and then we can see who was correct.

By market correction I assume you mean short term? This is a book I see having little long term potential (as I have stated in this thread). It is a good 'flip.' That being said, has anyone ever thought of this scenerio:

The television show lasts a few seasons more and then gets 'cut' (for whatever reason; budget, loss of interest, runs its course)...

But then a few years later a Walking Dead movie is released. This would cause new interest in the book. Obviously, it may not be sustained as movie 'hype' only lasts for so long (as folks now buying IM #55 will learn).

Just one of the many possibilities if 'Hollywood' still has an interest in 'comic book' movies at that point in time. There is no reason to assume they would not, as zombies are a universal theme.

I just doubt the long term potential of this book (meaning decades; NOT just a few years).

Kind Regards,

'mint'

So why would a movie get made if the TV show can't do well enough to sustain interest in your scenario?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

So why would a movie get made if the TV show can't do well enough to sustain interest in your scenario?

The same reason we have Superman, Batman, and other movies based on popular culture. I am talking years out, not months. You are also ASSUMING the television show was not sustainable due to a lack of interest. Eventually, all good things end...

Budgets get cut, actors want raises, fans want conclusions...

This does NOT mean a movie would not get made. Think of all the movies that were released on all ill fated ideas. At the very least, The Walking Dead is entertaining.

'mint'