• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

10 years+ is pretty impressive staying power, especially for an independent (not the big 2)

How many independent titles have come and gone in that time? how many just at Image?

It may not have been the sole reason for saving the comics industry (I never said that) but it was a contributor for the current market.

I'd be curious to hear what comic shop owners think of the Walking Dead and it's buyers.

I'm also positive that Marvel or DC wish they had a title like that. They haven't had anything near it in years.

#FREENEGAN

For those who put the WD down, I'll give you my perspective.

I'm a marvel superhero fan through and through. But I've never read the entire run of some of my favorite characters. Iron Man being one where I love the character but there are some really bad stories in the run here and there. Good ones too but I've never been so interested in the story to read issue after issue to know the story. In man cases, superhero arcs are short or not even the same story issue to issue.

The walking dead hooked me from issue 1 and I've read the entire run (have not missed an issue.

That's not just some boring zombie apocalypse comic. There is more to it then that...a lot more

I put my money where my mouth is also, I own a 9.6 black label #1 and don't plan on letting it go anytime soon. :)

Two things:

1) Reading and being a fan of the stories is not that same as believing it is the sole reason comics still exist (which is part of the argument being throw about right now)

2) If you really are such a believer, why own only a lowly 9.6? With such a disproportionate number of the comics in 9.8 (versus other "popular" books), why wouldn't you really put your money where your mouth is?

Regarding getting a 9.8, I picked up a black label raw copy for a great price and it graded 9.6. I'm not a label chaser and don't really care about it. 9.6 is good enough for me.

I also don't agree with your points but that's cool. Only time will tell if you are right.

10 years+ is pretty impressive staying power, especially for an independent (not the big 2)

How many independent titles have come and gone in that time? how many just at Image?

It may not have been the sole reason for saving the comics industry (I never said that) but it was a contributor for the current market.

I'd be curious to hear what comic shop owners think of the Walking Dead and it's buyers.

I'm also positive that Marvel or DC wish they had a title like that. They haven't had anything near it in years.

#FREENEGAN

My local comic shop owner thinks WD #1 is a key book of the modern age. He is also a major GA and SA fan.

Yep, I am sure thousands of today's youth will wake up in 20 years and be nostalgic for a zombie comic book that the show they watched was based on... This notion is beyond ludicrous.

I'd bet people said the same thing about Spawn.

Only time will tell.

Spawn is a singular character, Walking Dead is a story about a bunch of different people all eventually being killed.

Also, Spawn is no longer popular and hasn't been for some time now...

Yet the #1s still sell for decent $ in CGC 9.8...

the first part of your reply has no bearing on anything. There are plenty of group-books from the 1960's that are still popular to this day, groups that have had members killed off.

:baiting:

-slym

I like Walking Dead, but sometimes the show reminds me of Lost.

So what I am saying is I hope The Walking Dead isn`t just to replace our Lost fix we had. I hope that isn`t the reason why it`s so popular.

Also where does Resident Evil fit in all this?

A lot of the zombie stuff with TWD was done about 7 or 8 years earlier on the PlayStation 1 and 2 with Resident Evil.

Like I said I enjoy Walking Dead, but it seems to have taken some liberties from Lost and Resident Evil to make a hit.

Nothing wrong with that. Just throwing thoughts out to see if anybody else noticed the similarities to Lost and Resident Evil.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Nope, I am a HUGE RE fan (mostly of the Raccoon City storylines and strictly of the game series. The movies were fun and I drool over Milla, but seriously, they sucked story wise.) but I have never watched TWD or Lost...

Really?! :sorry:

I think TWD is so much more of a phenomenon than the TV show. I feel like it brought so many new readers to comics that hadn't ever had any interest in comics in the past and/or brought back readers that left in the 90's.

It created so much more interest in non-superhero comics and led publishers and writers to start scripting terrific stories that might not otherwise have been published. There's a reason why there are countless listings on eBay with "The next Walking Dead!" in the listing. :D

I think TWD #1 will be such a historically important book in the history of comics long after the show has ended just as FF #1 will have a place in history. 2c That is why I was so happy to own one and don't pay attention to the price fluctuations. It's in the collection and not going anywhere! :headbang:

Are you really comparing Walking Dead to Fantastic Four? Come on, even drunk on a Sunday that is beyond a stretch.

People are way over-selling its "importance" as a comic book series. It isn't the second coming of Christ of comic books...

Without the show, the book wouldn't be worth a tenth of what it is right now. Once the show is gone, the book won't be worth a tenth of what it is right now.

I think The Walking Dead sparked interest in comics for many that had no interest in reading before. More so than ANY book in recent memory. Saga is doing it now, but more so with TWD.

Believe me, I know it sounds crazy. But the FF is historical because it led to the Marvel Age of Comics, no? FF paved the way for Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, etc. etc.

I think TWD did that for non-superhero comics. You can look at it as two time periods:

Pre-TWD and Post-TWD. I think the non-superhero genre is probably bigger now than it has been in a long, long time if ever. The only thing I can think of would be PCH, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Westerns at one time. Other than that, the market has been dominated by superheroes. And for the longest time, it was the "Big Two". TWD changed that. Sure, Spawn had it's following and there were numerous other Image titles that were popular, but TWD made it the "Big Three."

As much as people want to underplay the significance of TWD, I really don't think the argument that the comic is so popular is solely because of the TV show. :sorry: I think the TV show LEAD to people reading the comic. But if the comic wasn't so good, people would pick up a few issues, say meh and put it down.

So, back to my point. TWD #1 = FF #1.

FF #1 lead to Marvel becoming a serious player in comics.

TWD #1 lead to Image becoming a serious player in comics.

FF #1 resparked curiosity and interest in comics which seemed to have been dying at the time.

TWD #1 resparked curiosity and interest in comics which seemed to have been dying at the time.

Why do people want FF #1 these days? Marvel is trying to kill the book. It hasn't been relevant in years. Why is it worth so much?

Nostalgia and that it's a historically significant book.

I think 40 years from now, TWD will be a hugely significant book. I have no idea if it's going to be same $ as what FF #1 is. I don't think any modern book will. When FF #1 came out, kids read comics and threw them in their back pockets and put them in their red wagons (I have no idea. I was born in 1979). What I mean is - people didn't treat comics back then how they do now. So FF #1 in NM condition is impossible and because of this will cost a pretty penny. People are taught to care for comics now so moderns are at minimum stored in bags and boards.

That's where I'm coming from in the comparison. :)

I agree a lot with what Swick is saying. I stopped collecting around 1998 or so, and then someone at work gave me some WD trades a few years ago and told me to read them. I was hooked and remembered how much I missed comic books. Naturally, I wanted to see what Spiderman was up to and picked up a couple of issues. Luckily I never got rid of the comics I had as a kid. Next thing you know, I went back and bought every back issue I had missed of all the Spider-man titles, which led to back issues of every other comic character I love which leaves me with 20 titles a month now.

I am sure I am not alone in this type of story. Walking Dead may not have saved comics but it certainly has brought a lot of money into all the companies.

Really?! :sorry:

I think TWD is so much more of a phenomenon than the TV show. I feel like it brought so many new readers to comics that hadn't ever had any interest in comics in the past and/or brought back readers that left in the 90's.

It created so much more interest in non-superhero comics and led publishers and writers to start scripting terrific stories that might not otherwise have been published. There's a reason why there are countless listings on eBay with "The next Walking Dead!" in the listing. :D

I think TWD #1 will be such a historically important book in the history of comics long after the show has ended just as FF #1 will have a place in history. 2c That is why I was so happy to own one and don't pay attention to the price fluctuations. It's in the collection and not going anywhere! :headbang:

Are you really comparing Walking Dead to Fantastic Four? Come on, even drunk on a Sunday that is beyond a stretch.

People are way over-selling its "importance" as a comic book series. It isn't the second coming of Christ of comic books...

Without the show, the book wouldn't be worth a tenth of what it is right now. Once the show is gone, the book won't be worth a tenth of what it is right now.

I think The Walking Dead sparked interest in comics for many that had no interest in reading before. More so than ANY book in recent memory. Saga is doing it now, but more so with TWD.

Believe me, I know it sounds crazy. But the FF is historical because it led to the Marvel Age of Comics, no? FF paved the way for Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, etc. etc.

I think TWD did that for non-superhero comics. You can look at it as two time periods:

Pre-TWD and Post-TWD. I think the non-superhero genre is probably bigger now than it has been in a long, long time if ever. The only thing I can think of would be PCH, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Westerns at one time. Other than that, the market has been dominated by superheroes. And for the longest time, it was the "Big Two". TWD changed that. Sure, Spawn had it's following and there were numerous other Image titles that were popular, but TWD made it the "Big Three."

As much as people want to underplay the significance of TWD, I really don't think the argument that the comic is so popular is solely because of the TV show. :sorry: I think the TV show LEAD to people reading the comic. But if the comic wasn't so good, people would pick up a few issues, say meh and put it down.

So, back to my point. TWD #1 = FF #1.

FF #1 lead to Marvel becoming a serious player in comics.

TWD #1 lead to Image becoming a serious player in comics.

FF #1 resparked curiosity and interest in comics which seemed to have been dying at the time.

TWD #1 resparked curiosity and interest in comics which seemed to have been dying at the time.

Why do people want FF #1 these days? Marvel is trying to kill the book. It hasn't been relevant in years. Why is it worth so much?

Nostalgia and that it's a historically significant book.

I think 40 years from now, TWD will be a hugely significant book. I have no idea if it's going to be same $ as what FF #1 is. I don't think any modern book will. When FF #1 came out, kids read comics and threw them in their back pockets and put them in their red wagons (I have no idea. I was born in 1979). What I mean is - people didn't treat comics back then how they do now. So FF #1 in NM condition is impossible and because of this will cost a pretty penny. People are taught to care for comics now so moderns are at minimum stored in bags and boards.

That's where I'm coming from in the comparison. :)

:shrug:

I think your argument is well articulated but I am not buying it. Sorry, I think TWD has been hyped well beyond its true popularity and people are way over-reaching on connecting the comic with the TV show. There are more than enough examples of more culturally popular things that have come and gone. Walking Dead will be no different.

Side note - the majority of people spending $1,500+ on a comic made after 2000 are not buying it for its "historical relevance." These people are specutors (many of which have likely never even opened the comic series) trying to capitalize on the popularity of the show and in many cases are already trying to dump their copies. This will only increase in the future and a huge price correction will happen as a result.

:shrug: we can agree to disagree as I have done with others in this thread before. Keeping the comic because you value it is a great idea, but keeping it because you are planning to sell it for big bucks someday is not.

I like Walking Dead, but sometimes the show reminds me of Lost.

So what I am saying is I hope The Walking Dead isn`t just to replace our Lost fix we had. I hope that isn`t the reason why it`s so popular.

Also where does Resident Evil fit in all this?

A lot of the zombie stuff with TWD was done about 7 or 8 years earlier on the PlayStation 1 and 2 with Resident Evil.

Like I said I enjoy Walking Dead, but it seems to have taken some liberties from Lost and Resident Evil to make a hit.

Nothing wrong with that. Just throwing thoughts out to see if anybody else noticed the similarities to Lost and Resident Evil.

Any thoughts?

TWD came out in 2003 a year before Lost did. I think that's the largest part of this divide. Those of us that have been reading and loving the series WAY before there was even a hint of a TV show understand that while the show has brought in more reader and caused a price spike, it was the story itself that drove it to be $300-400 raw book prior to any show. Even without a TV show it would be significant book today.

Also, this isn't anything like X-Files comics which were based upon a show, not the actual source material.

With the print run and cult following the book will never crash. I think it will hold up as THE key book of the time, but how much that will translate to value I'm not sure. I worry that the phenomenon as whole will end up more Star Trek then Star Wars. At this point it's entrenched enough to last a long time, but without the ability to market to a younger audience the fans will simply continue to age.

Side note - the majority of people spending $1,500+ on a comic made after 2000 are not buying it for its "historical relevance."

I spend $1,500+ on a Black Warning Label FOR it's "historical relevance." :grin:

I just don't see it dropping significantly and wanted one so when popped up at a "reasonable price", I took it. I guess it's a "buy what you love" sort of mentality. I paid the price and don't really pay attention if they're rising or falling. I'm just happy to own a copy. :cloud9: I bought a Watchmen #1 when no one cared and felt :whee: There are genuine collectors out there that aren't just speculators and buy books they really love and have a sentimental value to them.

I guess my question is - Why does a shows popularity affect the value of a comic book? I know it DOES. I'm just curious as to WHY. We see it all the time - no one cares about the Guardians of the Galaxy characters or books. Suddenly... :news: GOTG Movie coming soon :news: and people fall all over themselves. Same thing with the Inhumans, Ms. Marvel, etc. etc.

But those books weren't necessarily successful before movie speculation. TWD was very popular (from what I've been told) prior to the TV Show. I don't think it's solely a speculation driven book like many others like The Strain. I think TWD is here to stay.

I have a Zombie themed sleeve, my love of the genre started with watching Night of the living Dead at Christmas with my cousins, then escalated after playing Resident Evil for hours and hours with my sister.

Shame now most people think it's a Walking Dead tattoo :facepalm:

Yep, I am sure thousands of today's youth will wake up in 20 years and be nostalgic for a zombie comic book that the show they watched was based on... This notion is beyond ludicrous.

Walking Dead does not equal Superman, Batman, Spider-Man...hell it doesn't even equal Wolverine or Deadpool.

Once the show is gone, so will be demand for the comic.

People can want otherwise, but it just isn't logical. This isn't a hero, it's a story about zombies killing people.

Alien is 35 years old and yet they're still making movies and comic books about it.

It's not a superhero. It's just an alien killing people.

It's imbedded into our cultural vocabulary.

Just like Walking Dead is now.