• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,097 posts in this topic

I am noticing from my last submission that I sent in not too long ago, that CGC is slowing down their M/FT and Walkthroughs again. My WK has been sitting at G/E/I since Saturday with no movement, while my M/FT is at SFG but has not moved yet to G/E/I. The last 1.5 months these M/FT were getting turned around fairly quickly, but it seems like they have changed course again.

Has anyone else sent in books the last 2 weeks as M/FT and they seem to be taking a bit longer than they have? Maybe like CGC Mike said, they have totally shifted resources to the backlog, which is cool, but they should still at least be honoring their walkthrough TAT's since we pay a pretty penny for that service.

Edited by captainzombie

Hello all!

I held off on submitting books last year because the TAT’s were (IMHO) excessive. I switched to CGC after my books were held hostage elsewhere for 32 weeks in “received” status, while other people who submitted at the same time, in the same tier, had gotten their books back already. But I digress…

If it’s going to be a year(ish) on TAT, which seems to be the general issue/complaint, it would be nice to have that clearly stated up front, just so I know what I’m getting into. My opinion, I could be wrong. 

On 5/11/2022 at 7:20 AM, BabaLament said:

Hello all!

I held off on submitting books last year because the TAT’s were (IMHO) excessive. I switched to CGC after my books were held hostage elsewhere for 32 weeks in “received” status, while other people who submitted at the same time, in the same tier, had gotten their books back already. But I digress…

If it’s going to be a year(ish) on TAT, which seems to be the general issue/complaint, it would be nice to have that clearly stated up front, just so I know what I’m getting into. My opinion, I could be wrong. 

I was in the same boat and stopped submitting for 9 months or so.  CGC seems to have turned the ship around a bit so I re-upped my membership and am now submitting.  That said, I would *not* submit anything under ECONOMY tier unless you use the FAST TRACK option.  From what I've read on these boards all of the other tiers seems to be in fairly decent shape these days.  One word of caution though -- grading seems to have gotten quite a bit tighter so you may see that grades are lower on average.  Oh, and if you decide to use CCS for MODERN/ECONOMY then expect a very lengthy TAT.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:43 AM, Petroman said:

I was in the same boat and stopped submitting for 9 months or so.  CGC seems to have turned the ship around a bit so I re-upped my membership and am now submitting.  That said, I would *not* submit anything under ECONOMY tier unless you use the FAST TRACK option.  From what I've read on these boards all of the other tiers seems to be in fairly decent shape these days.  One word of caution though -- grading seems to have gotten quite a bit tighter so you may see that grades are lower on average.  Oh, and if you decide to use CCS for MODERN/ECONOMY then expect a very lengthy TAT.

I would say the grading is more inconsistent these days than tight across the board. Five of my last nine submissions have come back with fairly expected grades, while the other four were graded extremely tight with very few books receiving a 9.8. 

Submissions all delivered to CGC Jul 26, 2021.  All Slow Track.
    Economy    22 books    
        Received at CCS Jul 27, 2021
        Charged for CCS May 9, 2022

Modern    25 books    

Modern     6 books     

Edited by Still Only 20¢
Formatted to look better with phone width.

My ME book has been trapped in G/E/I for a couple of weeks now. No biggy since it hit that stage quickly and it is still well within the listed TATs, but it notable for me since this is the first time I have had something stall out there. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, Stefan_W said:

My ME book has been trapped in G/E/I for a couple of weeks now. No biggy since it hit that stage quickly and it is still well within the listed TATs, but it notable for me since this is the first time I have had something stall out there. 

I think that what CGC Mike told us last week that they are prioritizing on the backlog, I am seeing some of these other services being affected.......especially ones where we are paying a more premium on to have graded quicker. It looks like even your ME is being affected by this too which should also have a high priority due to it being their error.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:08 AM, skybolt said:

I would say the grading is more inconsistent these days than tight across the board. Five of my last nine submissions have come back with fairly expected grades, while the other four were graded extremely tight with very few books receiving a 9.8. 

Yeah, I'll agree with this.  I would say that in the event of an unexpected grade, in my experience over the last 6 months, that grade has been lower than expected pretty much every time.  And yeah, this seems hit or miss per submission -- some entire submissions have come back as expected, and others have come back with much lower grades than expected.  For those of us trying to monetize collections we've had for years, the latter result really hurts the wallet!

On 5/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

My 3 Terry Austin signing books that had to go back due to Mechanical Error were marked as shipped today. Hopefully they fixed the issues. 20220511_110258.jpg.6463673cff44b56744515e9ea2bd5d9c.jpg

Mine were received 4/14/22 and they have been sitting in G/E/I for a couple of weeks. Things like this really make me scratch my head.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, Petroman said:

Yeah, I'll agree with this.  I would say that in the event of an unexpected grade, in my experience over the last 6 months, that grade has been lower than expected pretty much every time.  And yeah, this seems hit or miss per submission -- some entire submissions have come back as expected, and others have come back with much lower grades than expected.  For those of us trying to monetize collections we've had for years, the latter result really hurts the wallet!

The inconsistency does hurt the overall market. For example, if CGC was grading 9.8 copies harshly across the board, I could see the market adjusting, where buyers would be willing to pay a premium for a tightly graded 9.8 copy graded in 2021/2022 vs. another 9.8 copy graded before. However, when grading standards are all across the board with experienced vs. new graders, it's hard to define which submissions were graded more harshly than others. These days we'll just have to assume that 1/3 of the submissions we get back will be a wasted effort.

I am hopeful that shorter TAT's would result in more graders looking at each submission.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, Stefan_W said:

Mine were received 4/14/22 and they have been sitting in G/E/I for a couple of weeks. Things like this really make me scratch my head.

While I can understand the head scratcher.  When they make it back(both yours and mine ) we will see which is actually better. Hopefully they fixed the issues with both of our submissions, however I have had some that went through the ME process pretty quick, only to have to make a second return trip.  (Faster isn't always better) 

On 5/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, skybolt said:

The inconsistency does hurt the overall market. For example, if CGC was grading 9.8 copies harshly across the board, I could see the market adjusting, where buyers would be willing to pay a premium for a tightly graded 9.8 copy graded in 2021/2022 vs. another 9.8 copy graded before. However, when grading standards are all across the board with experienced vs. new graders, it's hard to define which submissions were graded more harshly than others. These days we'll just have to assume that 1/3 of the submissions we get back will be a wasted effort.

I am hopeful that shorter TAT's would result in more graders looking at each submission.

It really does hurt the market and comic book industry overall, because at the end of the day they have a lot of power and dictate what some books can command in the market.

I also have this sneaking suspicion these last 1.5 months where submissions were turning over so fast with quick TATs, could it have been CGC making it look like they have changed their tune and are getting caught up? This way they can get more to submit using their fast track service, only for them to slow things down again?

For those CGC submission experts, I had my walkthrough just go from "Quality Control / Finalized" which I thought was the last step before shipping to "Grading/Quality Control" within 15 minutes of each other. I am confused because wouldn't "QC/Finalized" mean the QC would be complete?

On 5/11/2022 at 1:00 PM, skybolt said:

These days we'll just have to assume that 1/3 of the submissions we get back will be a wasted effort.

The problem I have with this "wasted effort" is that because of the time and cost involved I don't have the desire to CPR most of these books (unless the grade was egregiously bad).  If a book I expected as a 9.8 comes back a 9.4 or 9.6 I'll just dump it on Ebay at cost or a slight profit.  There will definitely be some opportunities to buy undergraded books from 2021+, especially those with notes like "light bends" etc. (if there are any notes available LOL).

On 5/5/2022 at 8:14 AM, CGC Mike said:

I was told we’re actually just shifting resources right now to tackle EC. You should be seeing some movement on that tier over the coming weeks.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, joeypost said:

Anyone getting economy books back from ??/??/???? ?

On 5/11/2022 at 2:44 PM, electricprune said:
9/28/21
ECONOMY
Scheduled for Grading :kidaround:

On 5/11/2022 at 2:50 PM, Beastfeast said:

So I should expect my 2/24/22 ECO back sometime on the 35th of Nevuary?  

This is all we've been told :cheers: