• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,038 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 6/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, zoso99 said:
On 6/27/2022 at 11:00 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If they're still at GEI in "cgc's system", I wonder if they were finalized, and or, still added to the census or registry? @CGC Mike

ARE YOU SAYING they're at home with you, but still show GEI under tracking?

At home, with me, for two weeks now. I don't open my boxes straight away. Actually, I don't open my boxes at all, my daughter does. She caught it. It threw her for a loop. I get a few boxes at a time, 3-4.

If you could PM me the submission numbers, I will make sure they made it into the census.  

On 6/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, Stefan_W said:

Just have some movement ahead of schedule for a slow track modern submission:

Received and SFG on 26 Apr 2022

G/E/I on 23 June 2022

I love this quick turnaround, kudos to the CGC staff for moving things so quickly :) 

Modern slow track with 25 books

SFG 26 April 2022

G/E/I 23 June 2022

QC end of day on 27 June 2022

This is awesome :) 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, Stefan_W said:

Modern slow track with 25 books

SFG 26 April 2022

G/E/I 23 June 2022

QC end of day on 27 June 2022

This is awesome :) 

Modern slow track 25 books

SFG 26 Apr 2022

GEI 23 Jun 2022

QC 27 Jun 2022

Finalized on 28 Jun 2022 and scheduled to ship out the next day.

The last batch that finalized yesterday had surprisingly good results, and this batch was the exact opposite and was completely and utterly hosed by the grader. The grades and not even close to what I was expecting on the majority of books. Apparently I got the grader again who loves giving out 9.0 to 9.4 on books with tiny flaws that would most often be called 9.6. 

On 6/28/2022 at 12:20 PM, skybolt said:

The inconsistency in CGC grading will drive a lot of sellers and buyers away from ultra high grade CGC slab market. From a seller's standpoint, it's a huge hassle since A.) not being relatively sure what the grade will be before sending the book to be pressed and/or graded, B.) breaking even or losing money on every 3rd submission graded by a newbie, and C.) having to scan and list 9.0/9.2 graded copies at a loss, even though deep down inside you know these will likely come back as 9.6's or 9.8's if resubmitted. However, if a 9.8 copy of a certain book is only selling for $90, most sellers will not go through the hassle of shelling out another $25, waiting 3 or 4 months for the book to be graded, and then hoping they don't get the same newbie grader again.

From a buyer's standpoint, I can already sense some of their frustration when receiving a 1980's CGC 9.8 graded book that isn't absolutely flawless. I've had a couple of buyers complaining about the book being over-graded because it has one non color breaking tick mark along the spine. At some point these ultra high grade buyers will start noticing that some of their recently graded 9.4 copies looking better than some of their 9.8's, and start asking themselves why they're paying a premium for a 9.8 copy. Yesterday someone sent me a message on Ebay asking if my 9.8 CGC graded copy was completely new or like new. He basically wanted a book that was never handled before (even though all graded books are handled by CGC).

I honestly hate this roller coaster ride of grading high grade books, and am leaning towards buying and selling mid grade bronze age type books instead. At least in that scenario if a book is graded a 4.5 or 5.5, the 5.5 copy will not sell for 3 or 4 times more.

My experience so far has been that this type of hosing happens to me about 20-25% of the time (one out of every four or five submissions). I swear and stomp around for a while and then everything returns to normal, including continuing to send books in. At the end of the day, when this happens I curse myself for not using the pre-screen on that submission. That at least minimizes the loss if the occasional submission gets torched by the grader.  And I absolutely could have used a pre-screen for this one. 

The worst was a book in the batch that I cracked and re-submitted. I could see the presser I used a while back left some fixable flaws, so I opened up the 9.2 case, gave it a solid pressing until I was happy, and sent it in expecting a 9.6 (it did have a small spine tick). After all that it came back a 9.0. 

On 6/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, Stefan_W said:

The worst was a book in the batch that I cracked and re-submitted. I could see the presser I used a while back left some fixable flaws, so I opened up the 9.2 case, gave it a solid pressing until I was happy, and sent it in expecting a 9.6 (it did have a small spine tick). After all that it came back a 9.0. 

I get your frustration. CGC grading shouldn't be like gambling, where we factor into our equation that 1 out of every 3 or 4 submissions will be completely hosed by the grader, and that we have to be prepared to shell out another $25 (minimum) to have a 70% chance that an experienced grader will grade these same books next time.

With respect to your previous point about pressing, I think professional pressers will also have to deal with a lot of complaints from customers that their books did not receive 9.8 grades because they didn't get pressed like a pancake.  For example, I have many 9.8 pressed books in my collection with 1 or 2 non color breaking spine ticks and/or spines not sitting perfectly flat. The newbie graders could easily give these books a 9.2 or 9.4 grade. 

Edited by skybolt