• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,088 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, Stefan_W said:

I use the 9.8 pre-screen quite a bit. It works for me because it lowers the risk cost in case I hit a particularly harsh grader.

In terms of how consistent the tier is, based on my experience I would say that it is as consistent as the other tiers. That is to say that you can expect to hit one of the tougher graders every 4 or 5 submissions. It is worth noting that I am pretty sure they put their newest graders in this tier, so any toughness is likely due to a new person trying to show that they are precise. 

I have never used pre-screen but plan on doing so for my modern submissions going forward.  Especially those that need a 9.8 to be worth it.  I was always put off by the extra processing time, but it seems that it may not really affect the TAT much and with their new up-front charging when received it has the added benefit of moving the charge out closer to the date you will get the books back.

My ME book that they missed putting into a case the first time around just finished way ahead of schedule.

SFG May 27

GEI about a week later (did not write down the exact date)

QC June 28

Just hit shipping so will ship out tomorrow, June 30

On 6/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, Stefan_W said:

My ME book that they missed putting into a case the first time around just finished way ahead of schedule.

SFG May 27

GEI about a week later (did not write down the exact date)

QC June 28

Just hit shipping so will ship out tomorrow, June 30

2 weeks sounds about right for "ME" mechanical error, or that's what they've always attempted, idk it has been achieved lately but congrats! :headbang: 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, Petroman said:

I have never used pre-screen but plan on doing so for my modern submissions going forward.  Especially those that need a 9.8 to be worth it.  I was always put off by the extra processing time, but it seems that it may not really affect the TAT much and with their new up-front charging when received it has the added benefit of moving the charge out closer to the date you will get the books back.

The hope is that if the books are pre screened for a minimum 9.6 grade, perhaps there's a bigger possibility that an experienced grader will perform the prescreening work. Worst case scenario, if I'm assuming 20 - 9.8's and 5 - 9.6's, but get 14 - 9.8's, 9 - 9.6's and 2 rejects from a tough experienced grader, I can still sell the 9.6 copies on Ebay at cost or for a small profit. I just want to avoid getting these newbie graders who give out 9.0's for 2 non-color breaking spine stress lines or if the staple is slightly pushed into the book.

To give give a sense of how fast the Modern tiers (including pre-screens) are moving through - I was sending a box of books to CGC for grading about every 3 weeks or so, which was one or two per month. In June alone I had 6 boxes graded with the last three in the mail this week. There was an ME shipment in there, but that is still crazy fast. I went from having a bunch of orders in the queue to having only two submissions left to grade, plus one other ME, and I am still not quite ready to send in my next shipment. It is really jaw dropping. 

1x Express
Delivered 6/27; Received 6/29; Scheduled for Grading 6/29

2x Standard

4x Fast Track Economy

All charged the day they were entered into the system if anyone is wondering...

On 6/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, Ed Hanes said:

this is strange..sent in 26 comics ..broken up in two submissions ..I only thought each submission had to be 25 minimum..not also maximum

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 2.29.34 PM.png

I've had this happen before too, not sure if its a shipping issue? Like they could only safely/securely fit 25 slabs per box?

On 6/28/2022 at 4:35 PM, JollyComics said:

From my observation here, it seemingly takes 3-4 days from GEI to Shipped status.

Currently GEI.

So far, it has been 44 weeks in waiting time - 215 business days excluded holiday days and 308 calendar days.

UPDATED: 5 books are shipped (I am slightly disappointed with grades) today.

It's officially 216 business day an 309 calendar days turnaround.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:37 PM, gadzukes said:

My 4/13/22 Econ FT just went to GEI

Seems very all over the place. I've heard Econ FTs from May back already.

Seeing yours from April just go into grading has me a little bummed. Just sent out a submission 😥

On 6/29/2022 at 5:41 PM, the menace said:

Seems very all over the place. I've heard Econ FTs from May back already.

Seeing yours from April just go into grading has me a little bummed. Just sent out a submission 😥

Yeah but fast track economy is much faster now, estimated at 20 business days. It was considerably slower in April when Gad sent those in. I think as slow as around 70 business days as I recall. So expect it to get done much quicker than his.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:44 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah but fast track economy is much faster now, estimated at 20 business days. It was considerably slower in April when Gad sent those in. I think as slow as around 70 business days as I recall. So expect it to get done much quicker than his.

I guess I might be misunderstanding of how the estimated turnaround works. I had assumed it was based off the most recent complete through for that tier. 

On 6/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, the menace said:

I guess I might be misunderstanding of how the estimated turnaround works. I had assumed it was based off the most recent complete through for that tier. 

No I mean it's an ever changing thing and just depends how quickly they're turning out books of course. Also if you have an invoice where it shifts throughout the process it will be affected. So may say 40 business days when you submit, but if it changes to 100 at one point, be prepared to wait that long now. Or could go the other way lol.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:19 PM, Aarrow108 said:

1x Express

2x Standard

4x Fast Track Economy

All charged the day they were entered into the system if anyone is wondering...

Yes, this seems to be the new process where they charge you immediately upon entering the order in the system.  I think the only exception is if you add the pre-screen option.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:29 PM, Ed Hanes said:

this is strange..sent in 26 comics ..broken up in two submissions ..I only thought each submission had to be 25 minimum..not also maximum

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 2.29.34 PM.png

I think the only time a submission minimum is 25 is if you add in the pre-screen option.  WRT the maximum, yeah they can only fit 25 books into a box so that's why the broke it into 2 submissions.

Just posting to compare they haven't been submitted for long yet , but maybe it will help some people track as well. 

1 book modern delivered 6/24/22 SFG 6/25/22

10 books signature series modern delivered 6/17, recieved 6/19 hasn't been SFG yet. These were all submitted at megacon Orlando so I expect a wait for the signature series. 

Well....... I guess CGC got sick of storing some of my comics instead of grading them:preach:

Modern Submission

Delivered 4/29/2022, scheduled for grading 5/09/2022

Grading/Encapsulation 6/29/2022

I have one CCS modern submission still in que since Nov 2021. Not sure based on the TAT I will ever get that book back. Its Batman 423UNSG2478.GIF.728b65475020f69b8d3add4bd298022f.GIF