• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,047 posts in this topic

I think CGC needs to get on the ball right now, I mean 80 days for a turnaround time is pretty pathetic and ridiculous IMO. I understand they got hit hard with the moderns and all but more work means you need more workers and at the prices they charge I'm sure they can afford to do so. With all the new interest in comics right now I don't see that turnaround time going down anytime soon so I really think it's on CGC to come up with a solution on how to address this problem with turnaround times because there obviously is one

It's not 80 days on Moderns. I'm on day 85 and it's still sitting there.

My moderns from June 4th came in last week via Fedex. This was from the first order I ever did and wow I should have been more strict with what I was submitting and not used cpg.com for what they were worth lol. Since then my other orders I had submitted were always gems (and quite fast compared to the modern tier)

My only highlight of the order was a 9.8 Black Widow #1 DF variant. My low light? A 6.0 ASM 301 and a 7.5 ASM 316. Dishonorable mentions: Ultimate Spiderman 160 polybagged 9.2 and Spider man 1 Silver Edition Poly bag 9.0. That's what I get for buying poly bag editions haha.

I have another order of comics I want to do but I'm really weary of sending them in to get graded. I have no idea if I will even be in the country anymore by the time these get graded (I might get moved due to work). What is the protocol if you change addresses during the time CGC has your books?

What the heck were you doing submitting ASM 301 and/or 316 if they weren't clearly 9.8's?

a friend of mine submitted one comic for ss at the heroes con in june and this was his first time and from the turn around times on the website he thought it would be back around august so needless to say he will never submit anymore.somethings just got to give with these delays. i love cgc but #@!%
Exactly my point. How many potential submissions will never happen because of instances like this?

My moderns from June 4th came in last week via Fedex. This was from the first order I ever did and wow I should have been more strict with what I was submitting and not used cpg.com for what they were worth lol. Since then my other orders I had submitted were always gems (and quite fast compared to the modern tier)

My only highlight of the order was a 9.8 Black Widow #1 DF variant. My low light? A 6.0 ASM 301 and a 7.5 ASM 316. Dishonorable mentions: Ultimate Spiderman 160 polybagged 9.2 and Spider man 1 Silver Edition Poly bag 9.0. That's what I get for buying poly bag editions haha.

I have another order of comics I want to do but I'm really weary of sending them in to get graded. I have no idea if I will even be in the country anymore by the time these get graded (I might get moved due to work). What is the protocol if you change addresses during the time CGC has your books?

What the heck were you doing submitting ASM 301 and/or 316 if they weren't clearly 9.8's?

Chrisco! (tsk) Most people screw up on their first submission. The polybag books almost always need to be pressed because the polybag itself puts a seam on the back cover. If you took a good look at the DF book before you subbed it, that is how all of your post 1980 books need to look to have a reasonable chance at 9.6-9.8.

a friend of mine submitted one comic for ss at the heroes con in june and this was his first time and from the turn around times on the website he thought it would be back around august so needless to say he will never submit anymore.somethings just got to give with these delays. i love cgc but #@!%
Exactly my point. How many potential submissions will never happen because of instances like this?

PLENTY.

CGC is losing MANY potential customers and alienating their current ones.

They have so much business they simply don't care. If they did, they would inform us all of their expansion plans. Public relations is not their strong suit obviously.

It's good to be a de facto monopoly. No competition.

Chrisco! (tsk) Most people screw up on their first submission. The polybag books almost always need to be pressed because the polybag itself puts a seam on the back cover. If you took a good look at the DF book before you subbed it, that is how all of your post 1980 books need to look to have a reasonable chance at 9.6-9.8.

301 and 316 were not polybag issues though. That's why I singled those out.

CGC is a de facto monopoly
You keep pointing this out but don't you think that rather than sit back and rest on their laurels they would maybe spend a little more thereby being able to process more submissions in a more timely manner and make even more money? (shrug)

Can't a brother just salve a n00b heiny?

Can't a brother just salve a n00b heiny?

Oh all right.

Please continue.

To be quite honest. I have no clue. I knew the 301 wasn't 9.6 but sent it anyways. The 316 was a bit surprising. I was expecting higher as the only real problem I saw was a small split on the bottom of the spine. I haven't the heart to dish out even more money on these for grader notes. Must have been something on the inside I missed. But regardless I think i was trying to fill out more of an order so I started throwing in extra books. Sad thing is I have about 25-30 other books I want slabbed now so I should have thrown those in at the time.

Edited by Jay1982

To be quite honest. I have no clue. I knew the 301 wasn't 9.6 but sent it anyways. The 316 was a bit surprising. I was expecting higher as the only real problem I saw was a small split on the bottom of the spine. I haven't the heart to dish out even more money on these for grader notes. Must have been something on the inside I missed. But regardless I think i was trying to fill out more of an order so I started throwing in extra books. Sad thing is I have about 25-30 other books I want slabbed now so I should have thrown those in at the time.

Yeah, I wouldn't waste your money on grader notes for those.

Like sean said, first submission is usually an eyeopener.

I missed a tiny 1/8-1/4" spine split on an otherwise perfect book and it dropped to 9.0. There was plenty wrong with the 316 other than that. If you are subbing books that you bought from 20 years that were sold as NM, you will be lucky to get 8.5-9.2 out of them. Old school grading (at least for most of us) did not reduce grade for non-color breaking wear the same way CGC does.

Post some books in the PGM section. Look very closely at the big scans in some of the sales threads and you will start to get a feel of what CGC grading is really like. I was positive that I sent in 15 books that were 9.9s and 10s in my first sub. Most were 9.4 and 9.6. Don't be discouraged, but don't throw any more money either. :foryou:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I had an Avengers Annual 10 that I was sure would get 9.9 from this order. Ended up a 9.6. I'll post that one up because I am sure it should have at least gotten a 9.8.

My other orders since then have been pretty good with 9.8s across the board save a NM 98 that I accidently ruined while prepping for shipping (at the time I didn't see it) and it came back a 8.5 with a folded and creased corner at the back. Otherwise it was a 9.6+.

This shipment was definitely a lesson though with about 10 slabs that are worth more than the comics they are holding lol. The biggest let down is that I had been waiting since June for these so it makes all this wait even worse.

The fact is the demand will meet the supply. If not CGC then someone else.

I just submitted 30 books to PGX!!!

:jokealert:

I tell you Chunky ... PGX may have ruined their market for encapsulation services with their shady practices and employees... but right now would be an excellent time for some VALID competition to arise.

If a new grading company started right now (and it quickly proved itself with the market)... and with the CGC turn around times as lax as they are... I'm sure they would deem that "striking while the iron is hot".

Wish I had a few mill to invest.... where's that Crossgen guy when you need him? ;)

CGC is a de facto monopoly
You keep pointing this out but don't you think that rather than sit back and rest on their laurels they would maybe spend a little more thereby being able to process more submissions in a more timely manner and make even more money? (shrug)

I agree. I mean obviously they have more business now and from the looks of it, it won't be slowing down any time soon. It just doesn't make sense to me that any company would sit back and watch this potential business slip away. I don't care who you are or how much you're making, no business likes losing money.

Ok, turnaround times are.. turnaround times but speaking of very minor qualms

Got a bunch of books back and a few ASM 648 sketches in the thick plastic holders -- drives my scanner nuts. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the books back, but :sumo:

:tonofbricks:

I have at least one invoice from Heroes (June 26) Scheduled for grading! :whee:

If it is scheduled for grading on the web that means they should have grades if you want to call them.

I just called a few minutes ago and they told me they were grading 6/25 invoices for moderns. Mine is 6/26 as well so I'm hoping for early next week. :wishluck: