• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,085 posts in this topic

I called CGC this morning and they said Value Fast Track is running 6 weeks and Economy is running 3+ months. :(

Peace,

Chip

Honestly that's unacceptable. I understand not "everybody" can grade books but with the overall money CGC should be pulling in then employee shortage shouldn't be a problem.

Their service is getting worse while their competition increases. Ridiculous. I'm sitting at graded for two weeks now. Unacceptable.

I hear you. I've been at Graded for something like 38 calendar days now on my Value sub. Why it would take so long just to encapsulate and ship 15 books is beyond me.

I will say that the customer service people on the phone are very good. Not their fault.

They're pleasant enough, I'll grant you that, but last time I called about this sub they told me it would be 1-2 more weeks before it shipped. That was about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't even hit QC yet. Unless folks are just forgetting/declining to update there have been Value subs in QC that have taken a couple of weeks at that stage before shipping.

Can you tell I'm :pullhair:

I will say that the customer service people on the phone are very good. Not their fault.
I 100% agree. They are always super nice but every year it seems to take a tad longer and a tad longer.

Modern Fast Track

Long Beach Comic Expo ended June 1

Received: 6/5

Verified: 6/10

Scheduled for Grading: 6/24

Graded: ?

Shipped: ?

It's been 13 business days, but I feel as if it's been longer.

Modern Fast Track

Long Beach Comic Expo ended June 1

Received: 6/5

Verified: 6/10

Scheduled for Grading: 6/24

Graded: ?

Shipped: ?

It's been 13 business days, but I feel as if it's been longer.

You still have a long way to go my friend. :sorry:

My 5/21 Modern FT submission is still in Graded (24th business day).

With big shows like WW Philly most of the staff is on the road for the better part of the week. Grading literally grinds to a halt.

That makes sense, but it’s something that also leaves me scratching my head whenever I think about it. I can't seem to get a line on whether or not they are just comic experts that are really that bad at running a business or if they just don't want the amount of the market share that they have.

Any business leader would hire part-time staff through the con season if that’s their peak. I get that you wouldn’t want to staff to your peak, but you have to do something to offset the capacity need; otherwise your business model will crumble when you can’t meet the demands of your consumer. It’s cap planning 101. Even those that don’t understand workflow system and design know when they are overwhelmed. You send one or two company leaders or mid-level team members and a team of PT employees to man the con table and run the SS program.

It’s more like they don’t care, which is really frustrating as a consumer until you consider the potential why. As much as we, the forum, like to complain about the steps, or lack thereof, taken by CGC, perhaps it’s their way of making sure that they control the amount of volume that goes through their doors. Perhaps this is a focused way of making sure they only have a small portion of the market. Some companies would just rather stay small. If you look at it from that perspective, you have to agree that in the long run…they are going to be very, very successful.

With big shows like WW Philly most of the staff is on the road for the better part of the week. Grading literally grinds to a halt.

That makes sense, but it’s something that also leaves me scratching my head whenever I think about it. I can't seem to get a line on whether or not they are just comic experts that are really that bad at running a business or if they just don't want the amount of the market share that they have.

Any business leader would hire part-time staff through the con season if that’s their peak. I get that you wouldn’t want to staff to your peak, but you have to do something to offset the capacity need; otherwise your business model will crumble when you can’t meet the demands of your consumer. It’s cap planning 101. Even those that don’t understand workflow system and design know when they are overwhelmed. You send one or two company leaders or mid-level team members and a team of PT employees to man the con table and run the SS program.

But that's what CGC does at most shows :shrug:

The reason grading grinds to a halt around WW Philly is because it's an on-site grading show - so the graders, encapsulators, QC people, etc are physically in Philadelphia for the weekend. But that's not the case for any other show where there's no on-site grading.

It’s more like they don’t care, which is really frustrating as a consumer until you consider the potential why. As much as we, the forum, like to complain about the steps, or lack thereof, taken by CGC, perhaps it’s their way of making sure that they control the amount of volume that goes through their doors. Perhaps this is a focused way of making sure they only have a small portion of the market. Some companies would just rather stay small. If you look at it from that perspective, you have to agree that in the long run…they are going to be very, very successful.

This. There would be people on this board falling all over themselves to be deputized for a weekend to work the CGC booth in any capacity they wanted for free grading coupons. Virtually shutting down the business of grading they books they already have to go get more business, which will slow down the pipeline even more, is extremely frustrating.

If onsite grading is the only type of show that paralyzes CGC to this extent then why can't we consider any con Friday to be a business day for the purposes of grading?

That makes sense, but its something that also leaves me scratching my head whenever I think about it. I can't seem to get a line on whether or not they are just comic experts that are really that bad at running a business or if they just don't want the amount of the market share that they have.

Any business leader would hire part-time staff through the con season if thats their peak. I get that you wouldnt want to staff to your peak, but you have to do something to offset the capacity need; otherwise your business model will crumble when you cant meet the demands of your consumer. Its cap planning 101. Even those that dont understand workflow system and design know when they are overwhelmed. You send one or two company leaders or mid-level team members and a team of PT employees to man the con table and run the SS program.

But that's what CGC does at most shows :shrug:

The reason grading grinds to a halt around WW Philly is because it's an on-site grading show - so the graders, encapsulators, QC people, etc are physically in Philadelphia for the weekend. But that's not the case for any other show where there's no on-site grading.

Then you don't do on-site grading. If you're charging more for consumers to bypass the FIFO work model with your fast tracking service, why push them back behind on-site? Three times the estimated turn around is crazy. Also, PT workers would also be something that should be deployed in their office around intake, encapsulation, QC, and shipping. You may not want a PT person handeling a book outside of being bagged/boarded or slabbed, but they could do quality, check in submissions, or update the status. Maybe they do deploy them, but it's clearly not working.

Two days - that's what they missed because of on-site grading.

Graders flew in late Wednesday night to Philly - then left Sunday night back to Florida. I ran into some of the CGC & CCS employees at the airport. Back at work Monday morning.

So two business days (Thursday & Friday) - call it an extended Holiday.

And they still encapsulate books back at home. I had invoices ship on Thursday & Friday of last week.