• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Complete DC Collection (and not from who you think)!!! Three Cheers!!!

188 posts in this topic

He also posted in my "Collecting Every Crisis On Infinite Earths" thread, didn't he? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He may have even laughed.

There were reports of it happening, I swear.

London trembled, but it happened. I SWEAR.

Oh, FOAD already, the whole sodding lot of you!

The funniest thread of all time! cloud9.gif

Congratulations to "the Collector".

As far as Ian goes, I did not like him coming on the boards and asking collectors to NOT BID on books he wanted. Are their rules against this?

If the above is true along with some of the other stuff I have read I am beginning to understand why there is such animosity towards him. The thing I found odd is when he was surprised to hear that Hal Jordon was returning and the Green Lantern series was changing. He seemed to have no clue what was going on yet he owns every issue? Maybe I'm out of line (Ian my apologies if I am) but it just seemed like buying all those DC was more important than actually reading and enjoying any of them. I almost never see him participate in any other thread? Does he have a favorite character or series? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ian_Levine User The English Impatient 07/10/04 09:23 PM Reading a post in flat mode

A Complete DC Collection (and not from who you think)!!! Three Cheers!!!

hi.gif

You're peeking again. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I like Ian's board presence personally...

He has a unique personality.

You've got to understand these creative/obsessive types... It takes a certain mindset to get ahead in business or to collect something that most of us would not even dare to undertake due to the monstrous size of the task. grin.gif

One day, someone will set foot on Mars, hopefully in our lifetime. One day, I hope to see affordable commercial travel into outer space. Many of us have dreamed of it, but it took a select few with the money, willpower, knowledge, and resources to actually pull it off.

He also posted in my "Collecting Every Crisis On Infinite Earths" thread, didn't he? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He may have even laughed.

There were reports of it happening, I swear.

London trembled, but it happened. I SWEAR.

Oh, FOAD already, the whole sodding lot of you!

The funniest thread of all time! cloud9.gif

You know, we're running a little low on complete freaks lately... who will we mock when the mockables are gone?!?!?

Okay, so Ian's been driven away probably for the final time, but just because another collector completed her collection (and this is very old news, btw) doesn't mean it's time to take the [!@#%^&^] out of Ian when he's so close. She (the collector) finished her collection ages ago. There are of course other DC completists such as Jerome Wenker (who's only 180 away from completion, and has done many trades with Ian which has benefitted them both), so Ian has never been alone in this pursuit. There may be other collectors who've done this but have kept a low or non-existent profile.

And let's not forget that Ian didn't say "don't bid on the auctions I'm after", but rather he asked people not to punish bid or bid on his behalf, as he was always aware of anything he was after. He isn't a "Johnny Come Lately" - he's been around in U.K. fandom since 1972 and has had rare books in his possesion since 1974.

It's a shame that the Forum won't be there to see Ian cross the finishing line, and you can't deny that Ian didn't bring a bit of color and pizazz to the Boards.

According to Ian, another person put up a wants "auction" at the same time as Ian and even brought it to everyone on the Forums' attention via a link. Yet he was not reported.

Ian has asked me to point out that this is why he feels that certain board members have been vindictive towards him.

Who? Personally, I hope Ian comes back. I liked Ian - he brought a certain something to the boards. He just needs to have a bit of a thicker skin and realize that much of the [!@#%^&^] he gets here is simply him getting ripped.

That sums it up pretty well. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

I also hope Ian sticks around, it would be good to hear if he finishes his quest and theres no doubt his presence here added to the entertainment level.

It struck me, that with all the postings Ian made, and all the time he spent on the boards, he doesn't seem to have cultivated any friends.

I wish him well in his quest. But it's kind of like wishing a robot a nice day. I doubt if he ever expressed any interest in any one else's books, or collecting interests, or offered support to anyone else on any matter, unless it related directly to his quest.

I can't help feeling that Ian thinks of us as a giant one-celled organism called "The Board". I'm sure he would be surprised to learn that Darth has a kid, or that DAM60 does any charity work. Or that Joanna is a talented writer. Or that Joe Collector is one of the kindest...most loving....uh, scratch that last one.

With that said, I still wish Ian the best. And I suspect today is not one of his best days. But if he had shown a little more interest in others, he might find he had a bit more support in his hour of need. Make that, year or two of need. Uh, make that um, need....ALL THE TIME!

Carry on Ian.

That's exactly it Brad. I have been saying this for a long time. Although I get blasted for being so vocal about it. There were many times I could have posted against Ian but chose not to.

Ian has almost every DC ever made, yet did he ever show anybody his books? The only thread I can remember is when another foryum member went to Ian's place and took pictures. Every other post was about Ian and Ian's quest. Threads like the most difficult comics, Ian would always mention the books he needs.

Although I have been against Ian's methods I do wish him the best in finshing his quest. It's just his methods that annoy me.

First of all, congratulations to Christine and her incredible accomplishment... this is just an incredible collecting feat. As a completist I am in awe of this incredible collection.

However, I would like to share some of my experiences and thoughts on Ian. I started to contact Ian through these boards back in December of last year when I ran across a few sites that had comics he needed-this was when Ian still needed 250+. At that point I never physically found any comics for him-I just pointed him toward the sites. Needless to say he was very excited and was very appreciative. He sent several PMs saying thank you and expressed it in his "XXX to go" threads also.

Ian sent me a PM and asked if he could call me so we could talk about comics and to say "thank you" for my assistance. I agreed and we spoke several times about various things including DC giveaways but he was also very interested in what I collected, what I did, etc. I found him to be engaging, interesting and very appreciative.

After one of our conversations Ian offered to buy me some comics for my collection but I declined because I didn't feel my assistance warranted this and I didn't want Ian to feel this was necessary for my continued help. Ian continued to politely offer to get me something and I finally agreed to accept some of his duplicates. Soon after I received a huge parcel with all kinds of old DCs including rare giveaways and Golden-Age greats. Needless to say I was amazed, especially since at this time I still had'nt physically sent Ian anything.

(There is more to come but I have to go for now)

I like Ian. thumbsup2.gif

On Bizzaro world there is a Bizzaro Ian who is trying to collect every Marvel.

Redhook 27_laughing.gif you should edit a pic of Ian paint his face white and have him hold an Amazing Fantasy 15 in his hand saying "Me no Like DC."

Redhook 27_laughing.gif you should edit a pic of Ian paint his face white and have him hold an Amazing Fantasy 15 in his hand saying "Me no Like DC."

I want that T-Shirt. grin.gif

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif

But we'd have to make the symbol on his chest backward!

How do you make a backwards I?

But we'd have to make the symbol on his chest backward!

How do you make a backwards I?

You just blew my mind.

And wouldn't this also mean that on alternate Bizarro World 14 there are comics trying to collect every Ian?