• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

No, it's not feeling like 1993....

Not at ALL...

:popcorn:

...except there's not 1 million copies of the book. lol

-J.

No, and there weren't 1 million copies of the books that were selling for ridiculous money in 1993, either.

"Ridiculous" is subjective.

No, not really. $150 for a Harby #1 in 1993 was pretty ridiculous.

People buy what they like.

Oh please.

Maybe 10% of this board "buys what they like", especially in modern. The other 90% are looking for the next score.

If there are only 500 or so copies of a popular book in existence who's to say? Your thoughts of an impending "crash" are already well documented. This convo is probably best had in the thread you have already started on the subject. (thumbs u

-J.

Well, by all means, go continue it over there...wherever "there" is, because I haven't started any threads about an "impending crash."

Okay, let's hope you are right and the price stays high for the next few weeks :)

Jerome

Don't sell it. You may regret it later. lol:baiting:

-J.

I'll only sell it if it's a 9.6

CGC 9.6 = FML

Jerome

I call nonsense , on that statement.This is not a common modern, wherein a 9.8 sells for $75 and a 9.6 sells for a third of the 9.8 price.

9.6 is a hair away from 9.8...and the last recorded sale of a 9.6 was $2500.

IIRC, the 9.8 last week sold for $3800.

I'd rather have a 9.6, and keep $1300 or so, in my pocket....than pay upwards of $4000 for a 9.8.

Not at ALL...

You should probably stop calling other members out for creating redundant threads when you insist on making market crash comments over and over again.

hm

I'd have to see your evidence of what constitutes "over and over again", because 3-4 comments on the topic in a month doesn't seem to fit your parameters.

And I'm pretty sure there's a substantial difference between starting a thread on a topic for which multiple other threads already exist, and making a comment in one...not to mention, the context itself. I'm pretty sure there's quite a huge difference between the two. I could be wrong.

But I promise I won't complain about your posting habits, if you promise not to complain about mine.

Oh, and vikingreed wasn't "called out."

Not at ALL...

lol

Don't in the cornflakes. It will be so much more fun to laugh at all the "I wish I sold mine before it became a $100 book" posts.

A few people were saying the same thing in the Fall of 2012 when it was $900 in 9.8. ;)

-J.

$900, $5000, $1,000,000, none of that matters. It's all built on a foundation of nothingness. The book isn't worth that kind of money, and the only reason it sells for that kind of money is because GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

And when the bottom falls out, then what?

If YOU bought it for $900 and sold it for $5,000, YAY! You won the lottery of comics! Congrats!

Now what about all the OTHER "$900 comics" that aren't worth $300 today?

Oh, right, we don't talk about those....

:whistle:

A couple dealers and original owners are capitalizing on a book that got hot. Your point ? Would you prefer if nobody sold any copies at all? Or do the two people selling a copy now seem "greedy" to you. What about the other 80 or so people who own a slab that haven't sold, despite the run up, thus causing the shortage in available supply and the spike in prices for what has become a "trophy book" of sorts ? I suppose you would feel they should be commended for their restraint. :eyeroll:

-J.

You have missed the point.

What I would prefer is for the market to be stable and diversified as much as possible. Where you got "greedy" from, I don't know, but I suspect it's a projection on your part.

If the market was stable and diversified, I wouldn't care if the book was a million dollars. But, as is quite obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes, the market is anything BUT stable and diversified, and instability is dangerous.

And..."trophy book"...?

It's a comic book. Most of the world doesn't care (not that they should.) But...it's a comic book.

If you're seeking status and acceptance from others because you own a particular comic book, you're going to be very frustrated in life.

RMA- You pretty much started a giant "What I collect is cool what you collect is lame" thread in the Modern forum. The people here love their speculation and variant covers. Let them enjoy what they collect.

Oh and this is nothing like a lot of those early 90s books because it has a limited print run.

PS: I think the cover is hideous and have commented on it a few times.

Weird response.

You're both right. It's a trophy book. Nothing more. Nothing less. We all know where they end up.

In trophy cases? (shrug)lol

Love it or be bothered by it there are five or six modern variants that got hot and, even after being out for a few years, haven't stopped. This is one of them. There's also that wolverine 1, the 667 dell'otto, then to a lesser extent uxm 510 pyslocke sketch, and siege 3, and that Nabisco wolverine. That's less than ten books out of the thousands and thousands of variants that get released a year. Why this one or that one ? Who knows. But the fact that those books caught lightning in a bottle does not foretell doom for the hobby. lol Some books just click.

-J.

You're talking about a book which didn't exist 4 years ago.

Must I say more?

("No, but that's never stopped you before, RMA.")

No one is "bothered" by it. What you don't seem to realize is that many of us have gone through some gut-wrenching lows in this industry, and don't want to see others go through the same thing.

However....if you're intent on being offended that anyone would suggest there are wiser things on which to spend one's money at the present time, by all means...don't let anyone stop you.

RMA- You pretty much started a giant "What I collect is cool what you collect is lame" thread in the Modern forum.

And which thread would that be...?

Because that would, of course, be contrary to my consistent attitude over a decade on this board, and elsewhere.

You'll not find such a thing, and if you do...it's because you are reading something wrong. Must you always have everything spelled out for you all the time?

See Oakman's sigline for more info.

The people here love their speculation and variant covers. Let them enjoy what they collect.

And who's stopping them? The answer is no one. Everyone is free to comment as they please, and, more importantly, to disregard and ignore as they please.

Oh and this is nothing like a lot of those early 90s books because it has a limited print run.

Right. There were no "limited print run" books in the early 90's.

Oh, wait....

RMA- You pretty much started a giant "What I collect is cool what you collect is lame" thread in the Modern forum.

Because that would, of course, be contrary to my consistent attitude over a decade on this board, and elsewhere.

You'll not find such a thing, and if you do...it's because you are reading something wrong. Must you always have everything spelled out for you all the time?

The people here love their speculation and variant covers. Let them enjoy what they collect.

And who's stopping them? The answer is no one. Everyone is free to comment as they please, and, more importantly, to disregard and ignore as they please.

Oh, wait....

lol How does your head fit through the door? I haven't had a laugh like this in a while.

Sorry Modern Forum, you've been invaded...

Oh, wait....

lol How does your head fit through the door? I haven't had a laugh like this in a while.

Sorry Modern Forum, you've been invaded...

You equate certitude with "ego", and so you mock, because you are afraid to have a reasonable discussion, with reasonable concerns addressed in a reasonable manner.

Is that not so?

So, I'll ask again...to which thread are you referring that is a "giant what I collect rules, and what you collect sucks"?

Be a reasonable man and support your claims with proof.

Or don't.

Your choice.

Whatever the reason, the market has spoken and continues to speak volumes about the book and others like it.

Jerome

...for now....

There are "status books" across every comic age. The easiest course of action for you is to simply resolve to not purchase a copy of this one. Then maybe it won't keep you up at night. lol (thumbs u

-J.

Whatever the reason, the market has spoken and continues to speak volumes about the book and others like it.

Jerome

...for now....

There are "status books" across every comic age. The easiest course of action for you is to simply resolve to not purchase a copy of this one. Then maybe it won't keep you up at night. lol (thumbs u

-J.

And, again, if you seek acceptance and "status" through material items, you are in for a frustrating time. "He who dies with the most toys, still dies."

When you mock, I see "don't spoil it for us! We're going to make a killing, and who do you think you are to come along and try to inject some reason in the discussion??" which is exactly what happens in every bubble, throughout history.

Jerome

...for now....

-J.

And, again, if you seek acceptance and "status" through material items, you are in for a frustrating time. "He who dies with the most toys, still dies."

When you mock, I see "don't spoil it for us! We're going to make a killing, and who do you think you are to come along and try to inject some reason in the discussion??" which is exactly what happens in every bubble, throughout history.

Damn dude you've managed to take this thread completely off the rails.

There "might" be 500 copies of this book out there. The one and only guy I know who ever had more than one is Costas, who had a grand total of two. That's hardly enough inventory to affect the overall comic market either way, so where are all of these opportunistic sellers looking to "cash in" going to come from ? By and large, the owners of the existing slabs are not selling.

The rarity is part of what's driving the value. As are ASM completists, variant hunters, spoof cover enthusiasts, etc. This is a good old fashioned tent pole book that fires on multiple cylinders. You disagree and that is fine. Your opinions have been noted. No need to continually muck up this thread with your doom and gloom predictions for the entire hobby based on the pittance of copies of this book that are in circulation.

-J.

Not at ALL...

You should probably stop calling other members out for creating redundant threads when you insist on making market crash comments over and over again.

hm

I'd have to see your evidence of what constitutes "over and over again", because 3-4 comments on the topic in a month doesn't seem to fit your parameters.

And I'm pretty sure there's a substantial difference between starting a thread on a topic for which multiple other threads already exist, and making a comment in one...not to mention, the context itself. I'm pretty sure there's quite a huge difference between the two. I could be wrong.

But I promise I won't complain about your posting habits, if you promise not to complain about mine.

Oh, and vikingreed wasn't "called out."

:blahblah:

Jerome

...for now....

-J.

Damn dude you've managed to take this thread completely off the rails.

*I* managed...? You and others don't have any part in it...?

hm

There "might" be 500 copies of this book out there. The one and only guy I know who ever had more than one is Costas, who had a grand total of two. That's hardly enough inventory to affect the overall comic market either way, so where are all of these opportunistic sellers looking to "cash in" going to come from ? By and large, the owners of the existing slabs are not selling.

Again, you're missing the point. It has nothing to do with this book per se, or anybody "cashing in." Where are you reading that? I haven't said anything like that.

The point, again, is this: this book is a good exemplar of the irrational exuberance of the current market. There's nothing special about this book; it isn't any popular character's first appearance, it isn't a momentous occasion, it's just a rare variant. It's a cool cover...not to be doubted...but that's all it has going for it: an homage of a historic scene, mashing up two popular characters.

When any market spends exuberant amounts of money for an item just because it is rare, that's a classic sign that the market is in a period of irrationality.

The rarity is part of what's driving the value. As are ASM completists, variant hunters, spoof cover enthusiasts, etc. This is a good old fashioned tent pole book that fires on multiple cylinders.

Except that it doesn't.

You disagree and that is fine. Your opinions have been noted. [/quyote]

As have yours

No need to continually muck up this thread with your doom and gloom predictions for the entire hobby based on the pittance of copies of this book that are in circulation.

-J.

And there's no need to continually pimp different books with your irrational exuberance, painting a picture that, at best, isn't accurate (as you have done many times), and, at worst, is damaging to anyone who may believe you.

There's more than enough irrational exuberance on this board. There needs to be a balance, so that the picture is accurately portrayed.

You may not care about people being damaged, as happened in the last crash (and....please note...I'm not saying a crash is imminent, coming, or even likely)....but I certainly do.

As always, we are free to post what we wish, within the rules of this board.

If what I say offends you to the point that you need to be dismissive and disrespectful, darkstar, though I have done nothing to you personally, why not just put me on ignore?

Is the extra hostility needed?

If what I say offends you to the point that you need to be dismissive and disrespectful, darkstar, though I have done nothing to you personally, why not just put me on ignore?

Is the extra hostility needed?

I interpret it as his way of ignoring you. He's just letting you know he's ignoring you. lol