• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

To play Devil's Advocate.

Marvel produced the direct edition of 678 with 54,252 copies.

This variant is 1:50 so that would mean there should be 1,085 copies of this book.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-01.html

That's only if every shop that ordered the book ordered 50+ copies of the regular cover.

Time and and the book's overall scarcity has suggested that certainly did not happen. (thumbs u

-J.

This variant is 1:50 so that would mean there should be 1,085 copies of this book.

That's only if every shop that ordered the book ordered 50+ copies of the regular cover.

Time and and the book's overall scarcity has suggested that certainly did not happen. (thumbs u

-J.

Ok we can say that. But it is possible that Marvel still "did" print those copies, but never distributed them to retailers. Maybe some were destroyed or given away to employees? Still a wicked low print run.

-J.

Doesn't Marvel or DC or whoever have to guess? Sure, they get preorders, but they can't wait until all orders are in to set the print run can they? And they can't have firm numbers on which stores qualify for the 1:50 or 1:100 BEFORE they print the variants, can they? As mentioned before, many stores order 35 or 40, not qualifying for the variant, but still taking copies of the regular cover- if 2000 stores did this, that is 80,000 copies sold that did NOT qualify for a variant? I would think they decide based on the previous print run, and then have some leftovers. What happens to the leftover is what no one knows.

-J.

Ok we can say that. But it is possible that Marvel still "did" print those copies, but never distributed them to retailers. Maybe some were destroyed or given away to employees? Still a wicked low print run.

1:50 is a DISTRIBUTION ratio and not a PRINT ratio. I believe it has been said here many times. Marvel does not print to order. 1:50 has nothing to do with print run.

-J.

Doesn't Marvel or DC or whoever have to guess? Sure, they get preorders, but they can't wait until all orders are in to set the print run can they? And they can't have firm numbers on which stores qualify for the 1:50 or 1:100 BEFORE they print the variants, can they? As mentioned before, many stores order 35 or 40, not qualifying for the variant, but still taking copies of the regular cover- if 2000 stores did this, that is 80,000 copies sold that did NOT qualify for a variant? I would think they decide based on the previous print run, and then have some leftovers. What happens to the leftover is what no one knows.

^^

They print according to their SOP and not to hard orders. It would not make any sense to print as few as suggested here.

-J.

Again, highly unlikely given how poor spidey sales were at the time. As you can see ASM 678 barely cracked the top 20 then. There would be little reason or motivation for Marvel to randomly decide to over-print "this" specific book, regardless of what poppycock RMA is trying to float for whatever reason. Reality has already proven his far fetched theories and speculation to be wrong. (thumbs u

And frankly his sweeping and unsubstantiated statements can be made about virtually "any" book from any era, so I'm really starting to wonder what his fixation is about trying so strenuously (and yet so unsuccessfully) to make them about "this" particular book.

-J.

It is quite possible that a small number was actually initially distributed.

I remember getting an email about a FF 1:50 variant around the same time. Only a few had been distributed and Marvel or Diamond sold a bunch for $5 each. There was no limit.

-J.

Again, highly unlikely given how poor spidey sales were at the time. As you can see ASM 678 barely cracked the top 20 then. There would be little reason or motivation for Marvel to randomly decide to over-print "this" specific book, regardless of what poppycock RMA is trying to float for whatever reason. Reality has already proven his far fetched theories and speculation to be wrong. (thumbs u

And frankly his sweeping and unsubstantiated statements can be made about virtually "any" book from any era, so I'm really starting to wonder what his fixation is about trying so strenuously (and yet so unsuccessfully) to make them about "this" particular book.

-J.

You're completely off base. Marvel's motivation is cost. It is substantially cheaper per copy to have 1,000+ printed. It was Marvel's SOP to print more than you are suggesting. Why would they randomnly decide to underprint?

-J.

-J.

You're completely off base. Marvel's motivation is cost. It is substantially cheaper per copy to have 1,000+ printed. It was Marvel's SOP to print more than you are suggesting. Why would they randomnly decide to underprint?

Uh....because the books weren't selling well then. doh!

As you said, "motivation being cost".

-J.

And not disclose it was in a PGX 9.6 slab?

I would be grading it myself if I cracked it out. If I see there's no restoration or "foul play" and confirm the grade, why would I need to disclose that? I'm fine with removing the PGX stigma and taking responsibility for the grading myself since I do that with everything else I sell anyway.

Well, it all depends on what you think the book would grade out as , if it was CGC'd.

If I had a PGX graded copy, and it looks it could benefit from a press (NCBR's and so on) and could possibly fetch a 9.6 or 9.8 with a press, I'd crack it out and proceed accordingly.

Grege Reece's copy sold for $1850, the other day, in auction.

However, there were 3 copies listed all in the same week so that didn't help Greg out much.

It is quite possible that a small number was actually initially distributed.

I remember getting an email about a FF 1:50 variant around the same time. Only a few had been distributed and Marvel or Diamond sold a bunch for $5 each. There was no limit.

Yes, FF #14, another venom variant that you can still buy from Midtown. And a book that according to comichron had a lower print run than the ASM venom variant by several thousand.

Wow. You just keep repeating yourself hoping it's true. Where was RMA "far fetched"? Do you think FF was selling well? There are considerably more substantiated facts pointing to a larger print run than you imply. Your constant refusal to accept anything but suggestions of a lower print is mind boggling.

Wow. You just keep repeating yourself hoping it's true. Where was RMA "far fetched"? Do you think FF was selling well? There are considerably more substantiated facts pointing to a larger print run than you imply. Your constant refusal to accept anything but suggestions of a lower print is mind boggling.

Monetary incentive > facts

Monetary incentive > facts

I guess. I always try to hope that is not the case but sadly I am nieve. I was hoping there was a genuine interest in discussing it. :(

54,252 copies sold in North America means there are likely 60,000+ regular editions.

1:50 would be 1,200 copies. They print at least 1,000 because there's a cost benefit.

There are likely 1,200 if they just order the 1:50 because it's just business.

Unearned copies go in a box. One box might sit for years.

It might be offered in a special deal (like the FF 1:50 for $5).

It might be shared in the offices or given away.

Regardless, there are 1,000... and probably 1,200.

54,252 copies sold in North America means there are likely 60,000+ regular editions.

1:50 would be 1,200 copies. They print at least 1,000 because there's a cost benefit.

And unless someone came up with actual facts then this makes sense. It makes no sense for Marvel to under print an INCENTIVE. By definition it is in hopes of increasing orders. Running out of incentives would be counter-productive and cost more per copy. I would gladly be on board with a 200 print run if it made any business sense.

Neither you nor RMA have presented any actual "fact".

The "fact" is there are only 92 copies of this book on the census even after 3.5 years, and a book that has consistently sold for a high dollar since its release.

The "fact" is that its high dollar value is partly due to its rarity, both in high grade, in the census, and its availability on the market.

The "fact" is that ASM sales were half then what they are now, so not many retailers were blowing up their orders to qualify for this variant.

The "fact" is that there are other high dollar moderns with comparable estimated print runs (500) that have even more slabbed copies accounted for than this one (wolverine 1, siege 3 campbell).

Those are the "facts".

Here now is what you and RMA have speculated about:

You have speculated that there is a warehouse full of copies of this book.

You have speculated that there are low census numbers only because people aren't bothering to slab this high dollar book.

You have speculated that marvel may some day sell "extra copies" of this book for $5.

You have speculated that marvel over-printed this book even in a down Spidey market because....well, just because. Contrary to your opinion on the matter, Marvel has, on many, many occasions, printed much less than 1000 copies of a variant. To suggest or state otherwise is pure nonsense.

I think that just about covers it. (thumbs u

-J.

This thread is packing more heat than the actual ASM 678 Variant book :popcorn:

Maybe someone close to Marvel or Diamond can verify more or less the print run for this book. It would make more sense to me that they have a print run in the thousands. Just my opinion.

Let's go on..

That's what I was thinking and actually said before. They had to of printed at least a 1000 of these. I'm going with that number.