• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

One book that's eluded a lot of ASM collectors (including myself) is ASM 546 Book Market Variant. I've only seen one sell on eBay in the past 5 years. It doesn't seem to be as sought after as ASM 667 or 678 Variants but it's definitely a very tough book to get. The last time I checked, there were only 4 9.8s on the Census but that may have changed.

K.

Why were these book markte variants actually made?

I think they were an exclusive that someone ordered. Not sure how many were ordered or even who did it but they're very hard to get.

K.

Both of those books are certainly tough but they're out there. And they both differ from the 678 VenoMJ and even Superior 20, in that they are not wholly unique covers. You can get the sketch version of 648 any day of the week (there's also been an SS copy of the colour version available on ebay for months), and the 546 "Book Market" is essentially the identical artwork as the regular 546 cover that just doesn't say "Book Market" on it. As it is, the Superior 20 is already trading higher than either one in a 9.8 and it's newer. (And on a personal note, I also don't think either the 546 or the 648 has that "It Factor" that the 678 VenoMJ, 667 Dell'Otto or the Superior 20 all have.)

-J.

True, but you know these buyers already have a #300 9.8, lol .

Haha, you are quite correct , sir.

I'd wager that anyone who is shelling out $the absurd amounts being paid for this 678 variant already has a 9.8 copy of #300......if not both a slabbed 9.8 newsstand and a slabbed 9.8 direct market edition.

I can understand being a completist die hard full run collector but paying over 2K for a non-key modern book is really out there :insane:

Most people would say paying $2k for "any" comic is nuts. Who can rationalize the mind and heart of the collector. lolOn another note, someone asked a few pages back what the "next" limited spidey variant to pop might be.

I nominate Superior #20, Black Cat. It's also a 1:50 not as rare as the 678 VenomJ, and plenty more copies available in a 9.8 on the census but they do not seem frequently offered in a 9.8 and three have recently reached the $400+ level. My 2 cents.

-J.

Very true. People buy what they want their money. Just because they can buy 2 ASM #300 instead of a modern book doesnt really mean anything. People buy and collect what they want.

True, but you know these buyers already have a #300 9.8, lol .

Haha, you are quite correct , sir.

I'd wager that anyone who is shelling out $the absurd amounts being paid for this 678 variant already has a 9.8 copy of #300......if not both a slabbed 9.8 newsstand and a slabbed 9.8 direct market edition.

I can understand being a completist die hard full run collector but paying over 2K for a non-key modern book is really out there :insane:

Most people would say paying $2k for "any" comic is nuts. Who can rationalize the mind and heart of the collector. lolOn another note, someone asked a few pages back what the "next" limited spidey variant to pop might be.

I nominate Superior #20, Black Cat. It's also a 1:50 not as rare as the 678 VenomJ, and plenty more copies available in a 9.8 on the census but they do not seem frequently offered in a 9.8 and three have recently reached the $400+ level. My 2 cents.

-J.

Very true. People buy what they want their money. Just because they can buy 2 ASM #300 instead of a modern book doesnt really mean anything. People buy and collect what they want.

Very few variants "stick", or have any real staying power. Those few that do and become famous for whatever reason, will almost never have a large enough of a print run to meet demand. An ASM 300 can be found everywhere. With these books you pay a premium for the rarity- to have that "trophy piece" that your friend doesn't have.

-J.

As much I like my copy, it's a fun finger-in-the-eye to my friends who don't have one, if I were given the choice of what to blow $2500 on, I'd have to go with this hands down

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-14-CGC-7-0-OW-W-Remember-Pear-Harbor-Issue-Bondage-/371300940297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567342ba09

As much I like my copy, it's a fun finger-in-the-eye to my friends who don't have one, if I were given the choice of what to blow $2500 on, I'd have to go with this hands down

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-14-CGC-7-0-OW-W-Remember-Pear-Harbor-Issue-Bondage-/371300940297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567342ba09

I'll take both, please. :cloud9:

-J.

Would probably have gotten more $$$ for that 9.4, if it wasn't graded by CBGB's or whoever

+1

I figure the CGC copy to fetch $1600-ish.

-J.

$1575. :acclaim:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141639888527?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

-J.

WOW! Getting mine slabbed in 2 weeks, CCS won't be at Philly wizardworld so just gotta submit it as is and keep my fingers crossed