• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

A copy of mine came back in not that long ago at 9.2, but signed by Joe Quinones (actual cover artist).

I for one will be looking for a 9.8 in future so interested to see how these prices go.

As an aside I am fascinated by the obsession people have with this particular cover, from all the variants in that venom variant set (19 in total), its not the best cover by far

lol The vast majority of them were pretty over the top, part of a short-run title and/or seemingly non-sequitur. Venom was born in the pages of the long running ASM title, throw in the MJ and homage angle with a slightly demented, unexpected twist and there you have it. :cloud9: Plus seeing a "venomized" fantastic four or psylocke doesn't have the same punch as seeing Mary Jane. It seems to follow a similar paradigm of the wolverine/Deadpool mash up cover. If the "Spider-Gwenom" cover actually happens (which would essentially be an homage of an homage of the 678 VenoMJ) and is done with any kind of cleverness as well, I would expect that to be a hit too (so long as 100 copies don't immediately flood ebay the moment it comes out).

-J.

Hit the nail on the head.

Plus certain people like pooches under females belly buttons. Please don't discount that, haha

lol:whistle:

-J.

No, it's not feeling like 1993....

Not at ALL...

:popcorn:

lol

Don't in the cornflakes. It will be so much more fun to laugh at all the "I wish I sold mine before it became a $100 book" posts.

Not at ALL...

...except there's not 1 million copies of the book. lol

-J.

No, and there weren't 1 million copies of the books that were selling for ridiculous money in 1993, either.

"Ridiculous" is subjective. People buy what they like. If there are only 500 or so copies of a popular book in existence who's to say? Your thoughts of an impending "crash" are already well documented. This convo is probably best had in the thread you have already started on the subject. (thumbs u

-J.

lol

Ridiculous is subjective. Worthy of a sig line add.

A copy of mine came back in not that long ago at 9.2, but signed by Joe Quinones (actual cover artist).

I for one will be looking for a 9.8 in future so interested to see how these prices go.

As an aside I am fascinated by the obsession people have with this particular cover, from all the variants in that venom variant set (19 in total), its not the best cover by far

lol The vast majority of them were pretty over the top, part of a short-run title and/or seemingly non-sequitur. Venom was born in the pages of the long running ASM title, throw in the MJ and homage angle with a slightly demented, unexpected twist and there you have it. :cloud9: Plus seeing a "venomized" fantastic four or psylocke doesn't have the same punch as seeing Mary Jane. It seems to follow a similar paradigm of the wolverine/Deadpool mash up cover. If the "Spider-Gwenom" cover actually happens (which would essentially be an homage of an homage of the 678 VenoMJ) and is done with any kind of cleverness as well, I would expect that to be a hit too (so long as 100 copies don't immediately flood ebay the moment it comes out).

-J.

Hit the nail on the head.

Plus certain people like pooches under females belly buttons. Please don't discount that, haha

I actually prefer the psylocke cover. But I love me some psylocke. lol

Not at ALL...

lol

Don't in the cornflakes. It will be so much more fun to laugh at all the "I wish I sold mine before it became a $100 book" posts.

A few people were saying the same thing in the Fall of 2012 when it was $900 in 9.8. ;)

-J.

Not at ALL...

lol

A few people were saying the same thing in the Fall of 2012 when it was $900 in 9.8. ;)

-J.

$900, $5000, $1,000,000, none of that matters. It's all built on a foundation of nothingness. The book isn't worth that kind of money, and the only reason it sells for that kind of money is because GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

And when the bottom falls out, then what?

If YOU bought it for $900 and sold it for $5,000, YAY! You won the lottery of comics! Congrats!

Now what about all the OTHER "$900 comics" that aren't worth $300 today?

Oh, right, we don't talk about those....

:whistle:

Not at ALL...

lol

-J.

$900, $5000, $1,000,000, none of that matters. It's all built on a foundation of nothingness. The book isn't worth that kind of money, and the only reason it sells for that kind of money is because GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

If YOU bought it for $900 and sold it for $5,000, YAY! You won the lottery of comics! Congrats!

A couple dealers and original owners are capitalizing on a book that got hot. Your point ? Would you prefer if nobody sold any copies at all? Or do the two people selling a copy now seem "greedy" to you. What about the other 80 or so people who own a slab that haven't sold, despite the run up, thus causing the shortage in available supply and the spike in prices for what has become a "trophy book" of sorts ? I suppose you would feel they should be commended for their restraint. :eyeroll:

-J.

Weird response.

You're both right. It's a trophy book. Nothing more. Nothing less. We all know where they end up.

In trophy cases? (shrug)lol

Love it or be bothered by it there are five or six modern variants that got hot and, even after being out for a few years, haven't stopped. This is one of them. There's also that wolverine 1, the 667 dell'otto, then to a lesser extent uxm 510 pyslocke sketch, and siege 3, and that Nabisco wolverine. That's less than ten books out of the thousands and thousands of variants that get released a year. Why this one or that one ? Who knows. But the fact that those books caught lightning in a bottle does not foretell doom for the hobby. lol Some books just click.

-J.

Weird response.

You're both right. It's a trophy book. Nothing more. Nothing less. We all know where they end up.

In trophy cases? (shrug)lol

Love it or be bothered by it there are five or six modern variants that got hot and, even after being out for a few years, haven't stopped. This is one of them. There's also that wolverine 1, the 667 dell'otto, then to a lesser extent uxm 510 pyslocke sketch, and siege 3, and that Nabisco wolverine. That's less than ten books out of the thousands and thousands of variants that get released a year. Why this one or that one ? Who knows. But the fact that those books caught lightning in a bottle does not foretell doom for the hobby. lol Some books just click.

-J.

Pimpin' ain't easy.

Not at ALL...

lol

-J.

Actually I bought it for $30. in September, so yeah it's like I won the lottery and I needed wheels again so I sold it for a good cause.

It's a status book, of course and there's nothing wrong with that at all

Okay, let's hope you are right and the price stays high for the next few weeks :)

Jerome

Don't sell it. You may regret it later. lol:baiting:

-J.

I'll only sell it if it's a 9.6

CGC 9.6 = FML

Jerome

We should have a pretty good idea in the next 60-90 days how many 9.6/9.8's are really out there. The raw copies seem to have disappeared from ebay and are likely vacationing in Florida right now.

By the way here's the original first meeting panel between MJ and Peter the cover references:

Panel%20678_zpsxjqjodie.jpg

$100 book or $5000 book, I've always been a fan. It is just plain demented. :cloud9:

-J.

Not at ALL...

lol

-J.

Actually I bought it for $30. in September, so yeah it's like I won the lottery and I needed wheels again so I sold it for a good cause.

Ok, but I was responding to Jay. If you managed to convince someone to pay you big money for the book, congratulations. I, too, have no problem taking advantage of this utterly irrational exuberance.

It's a status book, of course and there's nothing wrong with that at all

You know what was a "status book" in 1990? Spiderman Platinum #1. Some people paid $500....in 1990 dollars...for a copy. The only people who have ever, in 25 years, recouped their money were people who were lucky enough to get a 9.8, which wasn't a "thing" back then.

How's about 1991? What was the "it" book of that year? New Mutants #87. Everyone, but EVERYONE had to have one...gimme gimme gimme! The book sold on a regular basis for $100.

Then we come to 1992. By the summer, it was all about Valiant, and then....Superman #75 (uh oh, there I go again.) The Platinum Supes #75...again, $500 IF you could find one.

1993? How about Valiant golds for $100+? How about Ultraverse holograms for $50? How about every variant possible for $50+? Wildcats #1 Gold, $100. Adventures of Supes #500 Plat $250. Batman #492 Plat for $150. The madness was unending.

How about 1994? Oh, yes, Gen 13 and Lady Death. $100 for Lady Death #1. $50 for Gen 13 1/2.

It all came back down, and came back down hard, because: crash. Now, we're starting to recover, but if you paid those prices back then, you have never, ever recovered.

So, what to do now?

If you like it, and you have the money, buy it. If it makes you happy, that trumps everything.

If you're looking to flip it, run away. You never know when the music stops an you're left holding the bag.

If you're looking to invest - lol

If you'd like it, but you don't have the money...wait. Will it come back down? Maybe. History says yes. Will it continue to go up, up, up forever? Will it be a $50,000 book? $100k? $500k?

Hey....anything's possible, right?

(PS. Seriously, do you realize how crazy it sounds to be talking about a "status" comic book...? :ohnoez: )