• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "TRUTH" about CAF

258 posts in this topic

An original page of comic art is placed in a caf gallery and is for sale, if one of the small ego-group like the art and want to buy it they then start sending negative emails to the seller, saying his price is to high and he is a con man, stuff like that, if the seller does not drop the price to what the buyer wants then that members name is rubbished around other caf members, negative comments are left on the sellers items in the gallery plus he is run down in the chat rooms, then the name calling gets worse and unfounded accusations are levelled at the seller, THIS IS BULLYING !, Anyone should be able to list their item for the price they wish without BULLYING, then if people think the price is to high they just won’t buy it BUT if someone is willing to pay the asking price that should be fine.

Bullying is bad and I don't like it their are many that do this here and no one stops them even when little girls cry and then there mommies come online to scald the bad bullies sometimes I try to intevene the baddies but I cannot do this because no one listens to me maybe I should start a different thread bad mouthing the bullies until their are stopped hmmm good idea what do you think of this because I hate bullies that bully other bullies to bully the little girls btw what is a caf is it a small cow if it is I hate cows if they are not on the grill is this caf on a grill being bullied by chefs I know I should put some question marks in here but I forgot where that button is on my keyboard can you help me find that button oh and the period button as well dang this pesky keyboard is making my ramblings more rambly than their should be I ARM THINKING I SHOULD HAVE TYPED ALL THIS IN CAPS TO PUT OUT THEIR THAT BULLYING IN NOT RIGHT AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED BADLY BECAUSE BULLYING IS A CAPITAL OFFENSE IN HAITI SO WHY SHOULDN'T IT BE HERE INSERT QUESTION MARK OVER THERE

Only when the description doesn't match what is being sold. You are committing fraud when you list a piece of OA as being draw by Steranko (when never touch the piece being sold) when in fact another artist was hired to ink a copy of the original Steranko pencils. That artist has gone on record that a certain person hired him to ink a copy. He was never told that his art world then be sold as penciled by Steranko and the seller asks $10K for a piece that was really worth $100.

Here is Mike Royer's lone post here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4740434#Post4740434

Howdy. Just like to say that I have never passed off the drawings in question as being inked over Jack's actual carbon. I've stated verbally and in writing on the card on each framed piece (when displaying them publicly) that they are RECREATED PENCILS inked by me. Over the years when I've set up at a convention with my Disney art (the art done in the last 7 yrs as a full time free lancer for the Disney stores. I never signed a work for hire contract and the actual drawings were mine) people have often asked why I don't capitalize on my association with Jack for almost a decade. Well, I'm proud of the work I created for over 21 1/2 years as a character artist for Disney, either on staff or as an independent contractor, and frankly, if anyone knew me at cons it was as Jack's letterer and inker, and I was getting a little tired than no one knew what I had done for 21 1/2 years FULL TIME after Jack Kirby. So, at the urging of a couple folks I picked out about 2 dozen or more of Jack's hero pin-ups that he'd done years ago for fans, sized them the way I wanted, traced the pencils (with a little fine tuning) and then inked them. I offered them via email to a couple collectors (who spread the word) @ $250.00 each or $200.00 each if someone wanted 2 or more. I didn't think that was an outrageous price. I signed the pieces Kirby & Royer because they were Jack Kirby drawings that I recreated and it would have been stupid and rather egotistical to just sign them Royer. I only have a few of them left. Everyone that bought from me KNEW that I had recreated Jack's pencils on a light board and then inked them. I never passed them off as anything else. And, let's face it...if Jack's carbon was actually under my inks on those 11X14 pieces of Strathmore, the price would have been one hell of a lot more than what I was asking. Another thing...I tried to ink the pieces as I would have done in the 1970s. It takes a little while to recapture that "mind-set." I priced the pin-ups according to the time invested. Excuse me, but I seem to be suffering from an overactive blather and am rambling, but I don't want to be tared with the same brush that is being wielded upon others. There are fans of Jack Kirby who don't like my inks on him. All well and good. MY favorite Kirby inker is Joe Sinnott. But I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I was the only inker who ever KEPT UP with Jack Kirby. That meant lettering an entire book in less than 2 days and then inking 3 pages a day. Even Colletta and his stable of assistants couldn't do that. Yeah, I would have liked to have had the time to "pretty" up Jack, but I had a wife and 3 little kids to support and those generous folks at DC finally let Jack have his way to let me letter and ink on the West coast, but only for LESS than they were paying Vinnie. At least I have the satisfaction that after he retired and didn't have to worry about "politics" Jack told people that I was his favorite inker. And if I ever really did anything for Jack, it was to prove to DC that he COULD produce complete books away from the "old world" that they believed ended at the Hudson River. DC hoped and expected me to FAIL...but I DIDN'T. Oh well, I've gotten off the topic. Anyone remember what that was? Jeeez, while I'm at it, let me get something else off my chest. The Green Arrow postage stamp. Way back, sometime in the last decade, DC asked me to take a drawing of Jack's (one of his 1950s cowboy characters...Bullseye, or something like that) which had been inked by someone with no empathy for Jack's pencils and turn it into Green Arrow in the style of 1970s Kirby/Royer. I took Jack's composition, redrew the costume completely and tried my best to do Jack's 1970s line and then inked it. It's always pissed me off that whenever the stamp art (which was first done for a trade pb collection) is discussed it's referred to as pencilled by Jack Kirby and inked by Mike Royer. Let me show you the source material and I defy anyone to say I JUST inked it. Okay...as Stan would say:"'Nuff said." I'm outta here. Thanks for the forum. I remain, as always, COMICLY, Mike Royer Medford, Oregon

The entire thread is worth reading:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4740389&fpart=1

The crash of The Original Comic Art Market is clearly at hand, the small group of caf members are pushing unbelievable high prices on art they have just waiting for victims, one caf member (first name Terry) added more than $25,000 to the price of one of his items justifying this by saying something to the effect that “I don’t really want to sell the item, but if someone is stupid enough to buy it at my price I’ll sell it”, wrong attitude, this kind of thing is why The Original Comic Art Market is heading for trouble, people like him in my opinion should be the one’s bared from caf “IF” the caf management were responsible people.

If art is listed that has information with it that might be misleading, then this should be brought to the attention of the member BY CAF not other bully members, once “official” contact is made by the caf management then the member has the right of reply, that’s called “being fair, honest and up-front”

I fully understand that assorted caf members will feel threatened as they are exposed here, they will attempt to discredit, play down change the subject matter and even joke about this serious issue, you just have to read over some of the negative uncalled for comments already written to see who is the Troll, who is the Bully.