• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

How about Uncanny X-Force? Opena still has all his pages... UXF 1-4 were just awesome comics.

David Aja's work on Hawkeye would be awesome to see, and I know he still has all the art. :wishluck:

Errr.. didn't he go digital too?

Malvin

I don't believe so, he just doesn't sell any of his art. hm

Sorry Lee, I had to look it up, he went digital

Comicbookresources article link

Malvin

That's a shame. Never mind, I love the book!

Back when this thread was started, I threw out The Maxx as a title I'd love to see get the AE treatment ... I never thought we'd actually get it.

This. Is. Awesome.

The Maxx book really is a big deal, as there is no original art floating around. It is going to be so cool to see. :cloud9:

Exactly! The few original pages I've seen, and held, were just amazingly beautiful work. This included one of my favorite pages from the series; the introduction of Julie. I think I held onto it for about five minutes just looking at it; and probably causing slight concern to the owner.

I've made peace with the fact that I'll probably never be able to own an original Maxx page, so this is the next best thing.

I have a second copy of the Wally Wood AE WonderCon Ltd Ed. if anyone is in need.

Here's the TOC.

Weird Fantasy

Project ...Survival - Feldstein - WF #12

Home to Stay - Feldstein - WF #13

There Will Come Soft Rains - Bradbury/Feldstein - WF #17

Weird Science

A Weighty Decision - Feldstein - WS #13

He Walked Among Us - Feldstein - WS #13

Down To Earth - Feldstein - WS #16

Mars is Heaven - Bradbury/Feldstein - WS #18

My World - Feldstein - WS #22

Weird Science Fantasy

The Children - Feldstein - WSF #23

...For Posterity - Feldstein - WSF #24

Adaptability - O Binder - WSF #27

Previously Unpublished

The Spawn of EC: An Introduction to Spawn of Venus

Spawn of Venus - Feldstein

This is one seriously tall book and it's beautiful.

I was looking for some of the Artists' sketchbooks coming out of SDCC and came across J. Scott Campbell's "Fairytale Fantasies 2014 calendar" - The original Artwork edition.

Has anyone here seen the calendar, and does "original artwork edition" here mean that it's close to an Artist's Edition or are these images "cleaned up" black-and-white versions at roughly the size of the original art? Sort of like B/W portfolio prints?

Because the version I saw was maybe a bit pricy for portfolio print type art (80 dollars), but as an AE type edition I might go that far for a Campbell portfolio.

IMO the Wally Wood book is the best of the series thus far. My favorite anyway

I agree, my favorite as well.

The Mazz Born Again is the winner. :sumo:

Romita Spider-Man special edition is the jewel in my AE collection. Love that book.

I was looking for some of the Artists' sketchbooks coming out of SDCC and came across J. Scott Campbell's "Fairytale Fantasies 2014 calendar" - The original Artwork edition.

Has anyone here seen the calendar, and does "original artwork edition" here mean that it's close to an Artist's Edition or are these images "cleaned up" black-and-white versions at roughly the size of the original art? Sort of like B/W portfolio prints?

Because the version I saw was maybe a bit pricy for portfolio print type art (80 dollars), but as an AE type edition I might go that far for a Campbell portfolio.

I believe IDW was giving these out as alternative prizes to trivia questions they asked at the AE panel at SDCC '13 if you didn't want a cover from the EC Covers Portfolio. I don't think anyone took a calendar. They were probably something like 11" x 17", but then I'm not sure if the thing I saw was the actual calendar, or was "the original artwork edition."

I believe IDW was giving these out as alternative prizes to trivia questions they asked at the AE panel at SDCC '13 if you didn't want a cover from the EC Covers Portfolio. I don't think anyone took a calendar. They were probably something like 11" x 17", but then I'm not sure if the thing I saw was the actual calendar, or was "the original artwork edition."

One of my friends won the calendar at the AE panel. I thought it was pretty cool. I guess j Scott does one every year or two?

Though you just reminded me that I still have one shipment I'm waiting in from SDCC - EC Covers portfolio!! Woohoo!! Comic con is still going!

I agree, my favorite as well.

The Mazz Born Again is the winner. :sumo:

+1

Mazz Born Again is the best produced one, I agree. Personally, I like the Gil Kane one the most, though, because it contains the complete ASM #121 (I even bought 2 copies so I could potentially cut one up :eek: )

This is just a longshot, but what are the chances of an Artist's Edition of classic Disney strips?

I'm not thinking of the hassle of negotiating a deal with Disney for the license, I'm thinking about availability.

Are there complete Carl Barks Duck stories in existence (as original art), Floyd Gottfredson newspaper strip continuities, Paul Murry's Mickey and Goofy stories etc?

I realize Disney Comics have died out a bit in the US, but they're really huge over here still and that's something I'd like to see. Sadly, as far as I know the company that published Barks' Duck comics cut and burned most of his finished artwork.

(Barks used a lightbox to trace the pencil art onto boards with a blue pencil for inking and I read somewhere that he kept a lot of that pencil artwork, but that might not be the case).

So, anyone know? Disney AE, possibility or pipe-dream?

I've bought the four EC volumes (Wally Wood, Mad, Jack Davis and Best of EC), along with the Eisner Spirit volume.

As I haven't got each and every one of the various books, I don't feel qualified to have an opinion on what is, or what isn't the best of the series thus far.

Of the EC books, the Wood and Best of EC volumes are joint-favourites with me.

The Best of EC is boasts a spectacular Frazetta cover, along with three absolute standout (and notoriously famous) Johnny Craig covers.

For future EC-related volumes, following the forthcoming Graham Ingels release, I'd prefer to see Best-of releases sporting a mix of artistic talents.

Feldstein, Evans, Crandall and Severin stories would be welcome.

The Eisner Spirit volume is also superb.

When Ditko and Kirby parted company from Marvel in the latter half of that decade, the books lost their magic for me - which is why I'm not too bothered about the Romita or Kane books . . .

.... Problems with the Romita and Kane Spider-Man volumes are that the scan quality is all over the place. Some pages are bleached out, some yellow..... I'm not talking about yellowing of the page or glue stains.

Also each volume has several pages missing, which in turn get a large BW photocopy published in its place (a la a page from 'Essentials')

The Romita edition is not the best selection of Spidey stories, but hey, the art was broken up 40 years ago-- you work with what you've got.

I wish the Kane edition had more Romita-inked pages, because it's got some good stories and character content.