• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

Scott, I didn't think I'd be saying this, but you've outdone yourself.

A Peanuts volume, (finally, comic strips!)

Kirby's New Gods.

2 Steranko SHIELD volumes?

And a Watchmen volume?

(I just hope owners of Watchmen art that hasn't been included will see the news and contact you so the book might become MORE complete by the time it goes to print).

This is truly spectacular. Every volume is a must-buy for me.

Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words, Knut. You have no idea how hard it was to hold this in!

In France, there have been a few "Artist Edition" type books with reproductions of Pencil art. It started with an entire full size edition of "Asterix and the Actress" with landscape format pages roughly 16x12 inches reprinting each of the 88 half-pages making up an album.

They've had some "reduced size" volumes as well with 12x16 books reprinting full pages. Like the recent Asterix book drawn by Didier Conrad and the "Blue Coats" comi ("Les Tuniques Bleues" by Lambil and Cauvin). And a Spirou book by Emile Bravo, but that I think is smaller still.

That would be interesting, though, for a future Artist Edition.

I know Marvel has done something similar with their "Rough Cut" comics and DC is doing it with their "Unwrapped" series, but those books are comic sized, not Original Art sized, which to me is the one drawback.

But it is something that has to be decided on before one inks the books, so probably at the start of a project?

Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have a high profile project by George Perez, John Romita Jr., Bryan Hitch, Alan Davis, Frank Cho or any of the top artists at DC or Marvel where an Artist Edition reproduces both the pencils and inks in full?

@Scott,

I hear that on the upcoming "Hellboy" AE the plan is to release the "Hellboy in Hell" story without the word ballons (since they are not on original art but added digitally).

This would make it rather impossible to "read" the story in the AE.

Is there any chace that you could add these ballons maybe as a bound in overlay?

While it would add to the volume I think that would be the best solution.

I heard Mazzuchelli still holds all the OA to Batman Year One so that should be a go.

I also think there should be something with the 1985 Super Powers mini. It was Jack Kirby's last interior sequential pages in comics. All the artwork were in pure pencils since the inker lightboxed the work so as to preserve Kirby's pencils because he was already a living legend back then. John Byrne owned the entire last issue then sold it off a year ago so it should be relatively easy to track them down. I also saw the entire 5th issue in the Heritage Archives so scans of those do exist.

I'd also love to see some complete issues from Dillin's JLA run, including scans of his final two pages that were left uninked before he passed away.

So I read that Dark Horse are starting their own "Gallery Edition" version of Artist Edition books. Starting with Simonson (that's his third AE from a separate publisher).

Will this affect the Hellboy book?

I realize they're different in that one book is creator owned and the other licensed, but I imagine if Dark Horse are releasing their own line of AEs they'd want Hellboy to be part of it.

Or is it just that with two sets of licensed properties it's easier if Dark Horse publishes the Robocop/Terminator book themselves.

I'm just curious, because there are quality differences between the brands ( somebody should publicly apologize to BWS for the paper and design of the Conan: Red Nails book) and I was hoping the R/T AE would be closer to IDW quality.

Would surprise me if it did. Mignola was on the panel when the new AE's were announced at SDCC this Summer and he looked and sounded very enthusiastic, not only about the proposed Hellboy edition but also about the entire AE line.

i have the IDW Mad Magazine edition and all i can say is MORE ELDER!!! I want the Elder wonder woman, archie etc original pages to slobber over.......PLEASE