• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

Only the exclusives are available for pre-order (and only the ones above $50) but we will have a number of copies of the regular version available for sale at the show as well.

Say hi when you pick it up!

Best,

Scott

Damn you Scott for making me pick up multiple titles and having to haul them back to Belgium with me :shy:

Now that Genesis West is doing an AE-type book of Barry Windsor Smith's "Conan: Red Nails", I find that I really want to see his "Weapon X" in the AE format. Preferrably with "Wounded Wolf" ( the other Wolverine story he did for the regular X-men comic) as well.

Oh, how the list of desirable selections for the AEs keeps on growing ...

Can hardly wait to see what AEs are going to be anounced at SDCC this week. Whatever they are I'm sure I'll buy them. I'm easy.

Just saw it was announced Mike Mignola's Hellboy In Hell Artist's Edition coming next summer. Has some early Hellboy stories in there as well, plus the story The Corpse. I hadn't thought of Mignola for this series, but this is a win from my perspective.

Don

waiting for the rest to be announced.

Wow, some fantastic new editions announced. Really keen to get some more details on the new Romita volume and the Marvel Covers.

In the Bleeding Cool article, the Marvel Covers edition is described as "a very thick volume recreating the original cover art for Marvel in the sixties and seventies." The word "recreating" has thrown me a bit - will this edition have scans of the actual original art?

Also, It's great to hear that Scott has been in contact with the LoC regarding Ditko's OA. Hopefully something can come of it pray.gif

The idw panel was fantastic, new release after new release got announced and everybody went nuts. When they brought in Mignola, Sam Keith and Walt Simomson it got even crazier.

Scott did an excellent job as moderator and the questions from the audience were top-notch, even touching on the subject that the releases might be to close together.

Since Simonson and Austin keeps mostly of their art, I wonder if we'll see someday the X-Men/Teen Titans AE...

On the Byrne boards, John Byrne mentioned that the hold-up with a Byrne/Austin X-Men AE is that Terry Austin doesn't want to make his art available for such a project. And since he got a third of the pages of every issue they did and held on to most of them ...

Many legitimate reasons why Austin might want to do do that, including concern over how it might affect the sales value of his remaining pages (i.e. his pension plan), but if he's reluctant to participate in a Byrne/Austin book I don't see him being very forthcoming on a Simonson/Austin book.

Personally, if they're going to do another Simonson book, I'd like to see them do one of "Elric - The Making of a Sorcerer". It comes in at about 200 pages, it's a complete story, and most of all: it would be the size of the Wally Wood or Eisner AEs because Simonson drew it twice-up.

Not as "sellable" on the characters or the popularity of the storyline as the X-Men/ Titans book, but it would be F'in gorgeous.

Thanks, Terry . . . Best of EC is out next week, let me know how you like it.

Best,

Scott

Best of EC reached me this morning. Not sure how you're going to top this one, as the selection, for the most part, is superb!

In addition to the magnificent Frazetta Famous Funnies/Weird Science-Fantasy # 29 cover, my selection of highlights would include . . .

Johnny Craig's technical masterpiece, "Touch and Go!", along with three standout covers, Vault of Horror # 32 (corpse with axe in head), Crime SuspenStories # 20 (broken-necked corpse in hangman's noose) and Crime SuspenStories # 22 (decapitated head).

Roy Krenkel's solo published story, "Time to Leave".

Bernie Krigstein's "The Catacombs, "The Flying Machine" and - much to my surprise and delight - Bernie's pencilled story art for the unpublished 3-D retelling of, "The Slave Ship!".

Harvey Kurtzman's deeply-moving "Corpse on the Imjin!", along with the covers to Frontline Combat # 5 and Three-Dimensional EC Classics # 1.

Joe Orlando's "Judgment Day!" (a tale of racial inequality transposed to a robotic society).

Alex Toth's "Thunder Jet!".

All of the Al Williamson stories make it to my selection of highlights . . . "The Champion", "By George!", "50 Girls 50", "Upheaval!" (a Harlan Ellison adaptation), and "A Sound of Thunder!". In addition to these wonderful stories, we also get Al's cover art to Weird Science-Fantasy # 25.

Al Feldstein is represented by three superb covers, Tales of Terror Annual # 3, Weird Fantasy # 15 and Weird Fantasy # 17.

And last, but not least, Wally Wood's cover to Weird Science # 22!

A magnificent volume, featuring lots more EC goodies to those highlighted above.

In future volumes, I'd love to see story art by Al Feldstein, John Severin (including his collaborations with Will Elder), George Evans, Reed Crandall and Jack Kamen (Ghastly Graham Ingels will be getting his own solo book).

Well done, Scott!

I'm very intrigued by the Hellboy in Hell artists edition.

Did they mention if will include any dialog? I love looking at Mignola's art, but I'd also like to know what's being said on the page. hm

From the announcement I saw, no dialog, since that's all handled digitally now.

I'm very intrigued by the Hellboy in Hell artists edition.

Did they mention if will include any dialog? I love looking at Mignola's art, but I'd also like to know what's being said on the page. hm

From the announcement I saw, no dialog, since that's all handled digitally now.

That sort of sucks. Though I buy these primarily for the artwork, it's still nice to be able to read the story as you go.

I would like to think there's a way to insert the digital lettering over top of the scans without spoiling the visual experience of the art (see the Alien original art edition from Titan).