• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Artist's Editions you would buy (if IDW actually made them)?

IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy  

387 members have voted

1. 1. IDW Artist's Editions You Would Buy

542 posts in this topic

Ferran wrote "This was my first time to buy it directly to IDW from Spain, and the last one. I paid $56 for shipping plus $45 for customs, since they declared full value."

Does Spain have VAT (Value Added Tax) for books? I know that in Scandinavia and the UK there is a Zero-VAT policy on books that means there are no import duties on them. I though this was in effect all over the EU.

In Norway we have a 200KR (roughly 35 dollar) threshold for import duties (anything under that is exempt from all taxes and VAT), and that's excluding postage etc. but it's a universal rule that once a package crosses taxation thresholds you have to pay VAT on postage etc. as well.

Of course IDW are legally required to list all costs and prices, the penalties for mislabeling product can be severe.

But I would check to see the VAT status for books in Spain. It might be that the books have been miscategorized and that you weren't supposed to pay VAT and customs fees at all.

Knut, in Spain books gets charged with a 21% of VAT (named IVA in Spain) since months ago the government raised many taxes. Schoolar books get charged only with 4%, but I doubt that this will stand for a long time.

Customs charged the 21% VAT to the Artist's Edition, and they added $20 for handling and they charged VAT to the handling: 5 bucks more. Total: $45.

If the package is under $50, rarely is hold at customs and charged, but I can't ask for it to IDW, because as you said, "it's the law" (paraphrasing a known art dealer). But there are cases like Bud Plant which doesn't declare full value (so I'm told).

Anyway, I just wanted to give the point of view of an potential overseas costumer, and tell Scott that it's extremely expensive to order directly to IDW from a country like Spain. I wanted to buy it from them, among many reasons, to give IDW the share of the bookstore and support this kind of editions, but the penalty is too high (100% extra!).

I don't know which could be the solution to this situation, but this doesn't work for me. I remember that the last time I did an order to Mile High, they shipped it from Germany, so maybe this could be an option, but I don't know if this is viable.

@Scott,

Does the SDCC exclusive "Xenozoic" AE come with a Mark Schultz signature plate or not?

It says so in this thread however it is not listed as such on your website.

Are there any other differences from the regular version (except for the cover)?

Thanks.

Hmm, we'll have to fix that, thanks for the tip.

The Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales limited DOES come with a signature plate, numbered up to 250.

Best,

Scott

@Scott,

but except for the different cover and the signature plate both editions are the same then?

There is no slipcase or addtional material in the SDCC version?

@Scott,

Can you confirm, please?

There is definitely not a slipcase and I don't believe they've ever had a different page count for exclusives. They've always been diff cover, sigs, sketch, or case.

You are correct, no slipcase and no difference to the interiors, aside from the added signature plate.

Best,

Scott

The Jack Davis AE arrived here, today.

In the Horror genre, Graham Ingels is (for me) head-and-shoulders above Davis, but Jack was a versatile artist and this book showcases his ability to slip easily into different types of story.

For me, Davis was at his best working for the Kurtzman-edited War books.

I was especially pleased to see 'Whupped!' featured in this book. To my mind, this was Davis's best-ever EC story. I placed a heavy bid on the original art years ago when Cochran auctioned the story. Anthony Smith must have liked this one, too, as he matched my bid and won out (as his bid arrived before mine!).

Excellent addition to this series of wonderful books, Scott. Really looking forward to the Best-of-EC volume.

Thanks, Terry. It was touch and go on "Whupped!" but Anthony really came through like a champ. And it's one of my favorites too. Best of EC is out next week, let me know how you like it.

Best,

Scott

Knut, in Spain books gets charged with a 21% of VAT (named IVA in Spain) since months ago the government raised many taxes. Schoolar books get charged only with 4%, but I doubt that this will stand for a long time.

Customs charged the 21% VAT to the Artist's Edition, and they added $20 for handling and they charged VAT to the handling: 5 bucks more. Total: $45.

If the package is under $50, rarely is hold at customs and charged, but I can't ask for it to IDW, because as you said, "it's the law" (paraphrasing a known art dealer). But there are cases like Bud Plant which doesn't declare full value (so I'm told).

Anyway, I just wanted to give the point of view of an potential overseas costumer, and tell Scott that it's extremely expensive to order directly to IDW from a country like Spain. I wanted to buy it from them, among many reasons, to give IDW the share of the bookstore and support this kind of editions, but the penalty is too high (100% extra!).

I don't know which could be the solution to this situation, but this doesn't work for me. I remember that the last time I did an order to Mile High, they shipped it from Germany, so maybe this could be an option, but I don't know if this is viable.

Sorry about the extra mailing and customs costs. I wish there was something I could do but I have no idea what—the penalty for big, heavy books. While I appreciate people supporting IDW and buying direct from us, if it works out being cheaper ordering from an international dealer then you should do it.

Best,

Scott

I also bought a copy to Forbidden Planet in UK once, and I didn't have any problem. But I'd like to benefit IDW directly...

Thanks, that's very kind of you. But if there is a big savings ordering from a third party you should—don't penalize yourself.

Best,

Scott

I'm just waiting for IDW to go completely mad and produce an Artist Edition of one (or more) of the classic Newspaper Sunday strips.

It could double as a dinner table, comfortably seating a family of four. :)

But seriously , I'm curious as to whether there are any comic strip AEs in the works? I have all the AEs so far, but I'm a big fan of strips, so that's something I've been looking forward to maybe seeing.

SDCC 2013 Thursday July 18, 2013 3:30pm - 4:30pm Room 4

IDW: Focus on Artist's Editions

Join Artist's Edition editor Scott Dunbier with moderator (and fellow art lover) Greg Goldstein, IDW President along with a surprise guest or two as they give attendees a guided tour of what will be happening in the coming year -- including some really incredible announcements, and at least one that will have people saying, "Didn't see that one coming!" Plus special giveaways, trivia contests, and more! Original art fans, this is the one panel you must attend!

Join Artist's Edition editor Scott Dunbier with moderator (and fellow art lover) Greg Goldstein, IDW President along with a surprise guest or two as they give attendees a guided tour of what will be happening in the coming year -- including some really incredible announcements, and at least one that will have people saying, "Didn't see that one coming!" Plus special giveaways, trivia contests, and more! Original art fans, this is the one panel you must attend!

Wow ! I'm not going to miss this for the world. (worship)

Last year I scored a Neal Adams portfolio at this panel. If you're an AE fan, this is a must.

Last year I scored a Neal Adams portfolio at this panel. If you're an AE fan, this is a must.

I was in SDCC last year and never knew about that panel :cry:

I was in SDCC last year and never knew about that panel :cry:

I didn't know about the panel either. I have been looking at the schedule more carefully. I attend a few panels to allow recovery from walking miles on the exhibit floor.

Both of the EC books (Jack Davis and Wally Wood), as well as the Will Eisner book are extra-super-huge. I believe this is due to the larger size of paper that the art on these older series was drawn on. I assume that the upcoming Best of EC will similarly be collected in the larger sized book.

The Mad edition was also larger due to the original art size.

@Scott,

I would like to pick up a regular copy of "Xenozoic" AE at SDCC.

How do I do this?

When I try to order it from your website I don't get the option "pick-up at SDCC" for the regular version.

This seems to work only for the exclusive variant.

Maybe you can look into this.

Thanks.

@Scott,

I would like to pick up a regular copy of "Xenozoic" AE at SDCC.

How do I do this?

When I try to order it from your website I don't get the option "pick-up at SDCC" for the regular version.

This seems to work only for the exclusive variant.

Maybe you can look into this.

Thanks.

Only the exclusives are available for pre-order (and only the ones above $50) but we will have a number of copies of the regular version available for sale at the show as well.

Say hi when you pick it up!

Best,

Scott

Hey, EC fans!

Cathy Gaines-Mifsud will be doing her very first comic-con signing. Come by and get any of your EC AE books or the portfolio signed by Cathy, and chat with her about her dad, the man behind EC Comics!

Wednesday (Preview night) at the IDW booth (2643) from 6:00 to 7:00.

Thanks and hope to see some of you there.

Best,

Scott

PS--I'll post the entire signing schedule when it is available.

Hey, EC fans!

Cathy Gaines-Mifsud will be doing her very first comic-con signing. Come by and get any of your EC AE books or the portfolio signed by Cathy, and chat with her about her dad, the man behind EC Comics!

Wednesday (Preview night) at the IDW booth (2643) from 6:00 to 7:00.

Thanks and hope to see some of you there.

Best,

Scott

PS--I'll post the entire signing schedule when it is available.

Damn, I'm stuck in the UK!

At least we're enjoying some glorious summer weather at the moment (pretty rare, as the weather's been awful for a long time over here).