• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

Jon, you are amazing!!! You have more hard to find rare books that cover more publishers than anybody I've seen on these boards!!! (worship)

Thanks for posting these since we never see Famous Funnies posted here!!!

Joe

Jon posted front and back covers for the first few issues in a thread somewhere a few months back. I am not sure which is front and back, but I think the Santa Claus is the back. I have a 50/50 chance at being wrong/right! :grin:

Estoteria alert.....snooze time for some.......

Some of the Palooka covers are great.....

And, here are "reprints of reprints". Now this is esoteria......The limited info in the Overstreet guide came from me.....Although 'give-aways", it clearly is a 'series" of books.....

Just as Famous Funnies, Series 1 and Famous Funnies #1 were largely reprints of the earlier reprint books, Famous Comics were reprints of the Famous Funnies series ( Note, some of the strips appeared in more than one issue of Famous Comics). While some of the Famous Comics material first appeared (as the following list shows) in Funnies on Parade, Carnival of Comics, Century of Comics and Famous Funnies, Series 1 , the reprints of Famous Comics track the Famous Funnies series. The significance of this is to note just how closely early comic book production was tied. (Furthur indication of this is the fact that Favorite Comics, another give-away of this time period also reprinted the early Famous Funnies. Favorite Comics, Book No. 1 is primarily Famous Funnies #2; containing most of the same contents as the “Fire Engine” and “Tiger” books as listed below; Book No. 2 is primarily derived from Famous Funnies #3 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies #2 and #4 while the contents of Book No. 3 is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #5 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies # 4 and #2 with one “Joe Palooka” strip being reprinted from Famous Funnies Series 1). It would appear that Famous Comics was the second comic book series.

The contents of Famous Comics is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #1-6 as the following list demonstrate. The contents are so derivative that Famous Comics could be dubbed “Famous Funnies, Jr.”

Here are some of them....

63505.jpg.f3806d499bfcee3ec78352068c558318.jpg

63506.jpg.791d3f3c147168855260c0cb146fb1a6.jpg

63507.jpg.be808043fb29f7b35c648d4b3559c693.jpg

63508.jpg.eee6a9ff190ab77f82ed118c6a78ef08.jpg

63509.jpg.f33b0f6ad25259f09a2c9d53f6ec4018.jpg

i was talking about this

68_4_0005.jpg

I think that is the back cover.

it is the front cover to #5 according to the GCD (thumbs u

:acclaim:^^

back cover.....

jb, you might want to submit that the GCD, since they are displaying the bc :wishluck:

i was talking about this

68_4_0005.jpg

back cover.....

jb, you might want to submit that the GCD, since they are displaying the bc :wishluck:

Somebody help me out here!

Right now, GCD is showing the Santa Claus side. Is that the front cover? Seems like it should be with the price and date. If the broken leg side is the front cover, I'll fix it.

Thanks,

Jack

i was talking about this

68_4_0005.jpg

back cover.....

Somebody help me out here!

Right now, GCD is showing the Santa Claus side. Is that the front cover? Seems like it should be with the price and date. If the broken leg side is the front cover, I'll fix it.

Thanks,

Jack

I was just funning.... JB said "back cover..." I did a play on his words to mean that the previous scan was back cover ,and that he was showing the front cover...when, in reality, he was showing the back cover...

however, it would be nice if jon could scan his front cover, to replace the one the gcd has (thumbs u