• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

I'm sorry, but outside of the process of hobby conditioning, I just don't understand why the two situations are handled differently, considering the intersection leads to a path that is sinister, evil and in the case of making money from tragedy, opportunistic.

Everyone else contributing to this thread does understand.

With respect to making money from tragedy, comics could hardly have ignored WWII. Given the emotions of the time and their intended audience, they can hardly have been expected to depict Germans and Japanese in a way that would seem enlightened in 2012. The accusation of making money off tragedy can be leveled against every book or movie depicting WW II or, for that matter, any other war or horrific event. It can also be leveled against local TV news that cover murders, fires, and other tragic events.

That is a fair argument. But in the broader sense, I still can't shake the concern that there is secondary market interest that falls outside of the "patriotic" appreciation you describe.

beating_a_dead_horseemoticon.gif

Good thing I didn't get into how dangerously triumphalism straddles the doctrine connected to the boardie's choice of screen name.

I'm sorry, but outside of the process of hobby conditioning, I just don't understand why the two situations are handled differently, considering the intersection leads to a path that is sinister, evil and in the case of making money from tragedy, opportunistic.

With respect to making money from tragedy, comics could hardly have ignored WWII. Given the emotions of the time and their intended audience, they can hardly have been expected to depict Germans and Japanese in a way that would seem enlightened in 2012. The accusation of making money off tragedy can be leveled against every book or movie depicting WW II or, for that matter, any other war or horrific event. It can also be leveled against local TV news that cover murders, fires, and other tragic events.

That is a fair argument. But in the broader sense, I still can't shake the concern that there is secondary market interest that falls outside of the "patriotic" appreciation you describe.

There is - it's the same kinds people that collect serial killer cr@p and other offensive-themed garbage. But, they are fringe collectors, and I think across time, there have always been people who are into things that 99.999% of the human race finds atrocious. That is the only explanation I have for things like Tub Girl.

Had no idea what "Tub Girl" was- after a quick google I with I still didn't. That is some gross mess!

beating_a_dead_horseemoticon.gif

Good thing I didn't get into how dangerously triumphalism straddles the doctrine connected to the boardie's choice of screen name.

Thank God!

Funny how you were able to determine from a screen name that a boardie was a neo-Nazi, but haven't once wondered why people go out seeking material with this imagery.

How can you not at least suspect neo-nazi tendencies when you someone who names himself "Aryan?" Yes, I understand that the name has "other meanings." But really, let's not be naive about this.

The whole intersection of this debate has been trying to understand how a screen name can get a rise out of people, but not when these tendencies are found in people seeking the material and imagery.

How would some of the people who collect this material feel if they were accused of being a neo-Nazi?

I would imagine it comes with the territory and they get over it.

There are two big names that come to mind, who are connected to highly visible brands and enterprises that have been dogged for well over 40 years for their involvement in "social clubs" and organizations later deemed to have links to the Nazi's.

It didn't matter how their involvement happened, the context (as teens who were caught up in the whole circle of friends thing) - none of that matters though. Getting over it doesn't even accurately explain the reality, and 40 years of being dogged by media and critics seems like a pretty harsh life penalty.

Having seen this side of the topic through media coverage, I can't help to think what would happen to them if they ever decided to collect comics and their focus was swastika covers.

I'm thinking this is all hypothetical at this point - I'm sure there are collectors who collect only swastika covers, but we don't have any here to lend insight to why they collect those.

I would venture a guess that if you collect Nazi stuff, you probably keep it under wraps. Any explanation, regardless of how innoculous your collection is, is going to come off that you have some sort of advanced interest in a belief system that encourages biological racism and anti-semitism.

I don't think you can blame the public for seeing it that way, you can blame that idlot with the funny mustache who was responsible for the atrocities he performed in the name of that belief system.

I knew a guy whose father killed Nazis in WWII. He came home with an SA knife that he picked up from the battlefield. A few years later he started collecting Nazi medals and other items. He viewed the collection as historically significant, nothing else. I think these types of collections can be as innocuous as that and nothing to hide. Should collectors of Roman coins hide their heads in shame because of Roman atrocities? For many, this is just a way to touch history.

There is - it's the same kinds people that collect serial killer cr@p and other offensive-themed garbage. But, they are fringe collectors, and I think across time, there have always been people who are into things that 99.999% of the human race finds atrocious. That is the only explanation I have for things like Tub Girl.

Oh man.you actually mentioned Tub girl ?

Next thing ,you'll be mentioning Lemon Party too ?

:grin:

Well i know one very famous individual who collects Nazi stuff.

His name is Lemmy.

From the wiki page but i found out when watching the awesome doc Lemmy.

Lemmy collects Nazi memorabilia, and has an Iron Cross encrusted on his bass, which has led to accusations of Nazi sympathies. He has stated that he collects this memorabilia for aesthetic values only, and considers himself an anarchist or libertarian, and that he is "anti-communism, fascism, any extreme,"[34][35] saying that "government causes more problems than it solves".[36] According to Keith Emerson's autobiography, two of Lemmy's Hitlerjugend knives were given to Emerson by Lemmy during his time as a roadie for The Nice. Emerson used these knives many times as keyholders when playing the Hammond Organ during concerts with The Nice and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, often before destroying them.

I rarely post this smiley as i fear i do not have the capillary mane needed for such .

But for Lemmy. :headbang:

I, for one, would find this conversation very entertaining.

Too bad, oakman ruined it with his grumpiness and beating a dead horse image :sumo:

His name is Lemmy.

Lemmy collects Nazi memorabilia, and has an Iron Cross encrusted on his bass, which has led to accusations of Nazi sympathies. He has stated that he collects this memorabilia for aesthetic values only, and considers himself an anarchist or libertarian, and that he is "anti-communism, fascism, any extreme,"[34][35] saying that "government causes more problems than it solves".[36] According to Keith Emerson's autobiography, two of Lemmy's Hitlerjugend knives were given to Emerson by Lemmy during his time as a roadie for The Nice. Emerson used these knives many times as keyholders when playing the Hammond Organ during concerts with The Nice and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, often before destroying them.

I rarely post this smiley as i fear i do not have the capillary mane needed for such .

I forgot Lemmy was a huge collector (he adorns a lot of vintage memorabilia) and I think that is an excellent rebuttal to that question. That is how you get people past the assumption, because it is a reactionary topic. But, you have to be able to address it, too. Going back to the original topic, ARYAN apparently did not want to change his screen name, and is not here to address his side of the story.

Too bad, oakman ruined it with his grumpiness and beating a dead horse image :sumo:

Well, he just got back - maybe he's excited about using the Full Reply Screen again.

His name is Lemmy.

I forgot Lemmy was a huge collector (he adorns a lot of vintage memorabilia) and I think that is an excellent rebuttal to that question. That is how you get people past the assumption, because it is a reactionary topic. But, you have to be able to address it, too. Going back to the original topic, ARYAN apparently did not want to change his screen name, and is not here to address his side of the story.

What's the excellent rebuttal? "I collect this stuff for aesthetic reasons?"

His name is Lemmy.

Yeah. He explains why he collects it without getting into a lengthy diatribe, and makes sure the listener understands his belief system and that it differs from Nazism. To me, that's an excellent, succinct way of explaining it without getting wordy about the topic.

His name is Lemmy.

Yeah. He explains why he collects it without getting into a lengthy diatribe, and makes sure the listener understands his belief system and that it differs from Nazism. To me, that's an excellent succinct way of explaining it without getting wordy about the topic.

Yeah, that's certainly a good argument against the proposition that Lemmy is a Nazi sympathizer ... I'm not sure it really excuses the behavior though, assuming it needs excusing. I suspect that, for people who have a visceral and/or personal, negative reaction to Nazi symbols, hearing that someone just likes the way they look will leave them pretty cold.

I'm sorry to hear ARYAN didn't pay for all his purchases. That is bad. Not paying fellow boardies for books purchases is low.

I posted up on the first sales (I think his first, but can't be sure) he posted on where many boardies got all hyper on his name. My opinion hasn't changed. I stated he would be smart to just pick a different name - but it was wrong for so many people to assume he was a Neo-Nazi or member/sympathizer of the Aryan brotherhood just because of the name. He said never anything that suggested he believed such. He was just interested in purchasing comics.

Aryan has other meanings. including current academic usage for peoples of Indo-European descent.

I amazed how every time this screen name comes up it totally veers the conversation - any and every conversation - into everyone's view (or lack there of) of what is PC and what is not. Honestly - we are one easily distracted group. I think it was page 7 or 8 before someone answered the original post - said he paid for a book from him and he'd get the email address tot he person that started the thread.

Now - I'm in before the lock!