• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

Questions for JVeteri172 and comicbookscout:

Will you be accepting slabs for submission this weekend or is your appearance at NYCC publicity only?

Will a collector be able to search a CGC # in your database to check if it has been previously submitted and rejected?

If someone unknowingly sends in a comic that has previously been submitted and rejected will you charge them?

No, but you will get a COA stating that your book has been determined by CVA to be FUGLY (thumbs u

D608C115-3785-451A-BA97-574323DAC1E6-2058-00000154C4FE63FE.jpg

I bet this will stick more than Wizard 9.5. Watch this space.

You're probably right. I'd be a retired billionaire right now if I got in on the ground floor of individual_without_enough_empathy bleaching so obviously you can sell ANYTHING :eyeroll:

Can someone post the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" pic for me please since I'm on my phone? :facepalm:

I'm going to start a service in which I taste someone's pizza to verify its deliciousness. I will place a tamper-proof thumbprint on all slices with verified excellent taste appeal.

Heritage can have thousands and thousands of coins in one auction. If you use the CAC filter it narrows down the results dramatically. What remains are some very NICE coins. If you pursue an occasional restored book, these will, unfortunately, be filtered out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Bottom line....if the service adds value to the process, it will succeed. If not, it will soon go the way of the Dodo.

Hey Sal, is there a web site for CV?

There is. You can get there through the Oct Featured auction on books that feature it.

Also, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for not mentioning the stupid typo in the thread title

Stupid typo! :baiting:

Hey Sal, is there a web site for CV?

There is. You can get there through the Oct Featured auction on books that feature it.

Also, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for not mentioning the stupid typo in the thread title

Stupid typo! :baiting:

:roflmao:

I've read nothing but the original post and all I can say about this thread is that it should have points potential. A grading service to verify a grading service? I...see..

doh!

Whatever! I ain't freaking missing out again so you can bet your I'm gonna be the 1st one to verify CVA's verification!

Can someone please repost that link to the 8c a piece hologram stickers for me? :wishluck:

Here you go. I just placed an order for mine. http://www.novavisioninc.com/pages/prd_hologram_labels.html

Awesomely cheap overseas shippin as well.

Now in 14 days I am offering a 9.8 CVC 'exceptional' Dancer #1.

Its yours for $200 inc shipping.

PM me (thumbs u

Thank god for this service cus i couldnt for the life of me determine the eye appeal of this beaut i bought. This is my 1st submission! What'd you guys think? Should i start polishing my gold sticker now?

asm100.jpg

Also, is this just for comics or can i do superhero booties? Clearly this is deserving of a "exceptional eye appeal" gold sticker no???

msm02.jpg

From http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1018?articleID=126548

Comic Verification Authority Launches at NYCC

What separates one CGC-certified 9.6 from another? Or one 9.2 from another?

If you agree with longtime collector Joe Veteri and his partner, Tomis Erb, the answer very well could be “eye appeal.”

Together they will launch Comic Verification Authority (CVA) at the New York Comic Con, booth #307, October 11-14, 2012 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in Manhattan and offer collectors, investors and dealers a step toward quantifying that “I-know-it-when-I-see-it” quality that many recognize but few have been able to clearly define.

The company will review and potentially sticker – with a tamper-resistant, hologram sticker – previously certified comics, distinguishing the upper tier of each grade as possessing significant eye appeal.

“CVA's function is to assess a comic book, graded by CGC, and award its Exceptional sticker only to those comic books that have outstanding eye appeal and superior structure for the numerical grade assigned to it by CGC. It's not CVA's purpose to accept, reject or question CGC's grading. If CVA does not sticker a comic book, that does not mean the book was over-graded or is not solid for the grade. We are simply looking for ones that have exceptional characteristics for the grade assigned,” Veteri told Scoop.

“Advanced collectors, dealers, and investors have long recognized that there are examples in a given CGC grade that have exceptional eye appeal and structure in comparison to other examples in the same grade. Even in ultra high-grade, there are usually numerous examples assigned the same condition, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are not all equally appealing to collectors,” he said.

“Take, for example, Incredible Hulk #181, which has nearly 200 examples in CGC 9.6. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctively exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap, reviewing comic books previously graded by Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) and affixing our proprietary holographic sticker to holders of only those examples that meet strict standards for eye appeal and structure for the grade,” he said.

“Like third party grade certification, this service was previously introduced in the collectible coin market, and just like certification injected tremendous energy into the vintage comic book market, we think that CVA will be a tremendous value-added boon to the hobby,” he said.

“A CVA endorsement adds confidence to both sides of a transaction and untethers examples that possess exceptional eye appeal and structure from the general market. This is a ‘win-win’ for buyers and sellers alike that will create added value for all involved in the hobby. CVA will provide buyers with an additional layer of protection and the ability to make a more informed decision which will lead to even greater confidence in the quality of their purchase. It will also give sellers of CVA endorsed comic books assurance and confidence in identifying exceptional examples in grade to their buyers,” he said.

A lawyer by trade, the creation of the company was spurred, Veteri said, by his experiences in the hobby.

“As a collector-investor for many years, I recognized that there was a void in the marketplace,” he said.

“I conducted research into the collectible coin market and the history of certification and verification of collectibles. In addition, I sought out a business partner that understood the market as I do, shared my views, was respected in the marketplace and then drafted a business plan,” he said.

He said the feedback they have received thus far has been encouraging.

“The feedback has been very positive. Everyone understood the value added proposition,” he said.

Veteri said CVA will initially accept comic books for review from select dealers and auction services. The service will expand “in the near future,” and at that time individual collectors will also be able to directly submit comic books for CVA assessment.

He said the CVA sticker cannot be removed from a holder without the sticker being destroyed, so they cannot be removed from one item and put on another.

“As an additional layer of protection, CGC graded comic books that are endorsed by CVA will be registered in our database and these records will be accessible to registered users through the Verification Search tool on the CVA website,” he said.

Interested parties can learn more at cvacomics.com or by contacting CVA directly at info@cvacomics.com.

“We look forward to talking to members of all aspects of our hobby and discussing the benefits of this new opportunity in the certified comic book market,” he said.

9GAGisthecanceroftheinternet_d88d7ca0734cc51d264e65bbb42ab43b.jpg

I'm going to start a service in which I taste someone's pizza to verify its deliciousness. I will place a tamper-proof thumbprint on all slices with verified excellent taste appeal.

Dibs on the beer verification. :acclaim:

Also, is this just for comics or can i do superhero booties? Clearly this is deserving of a "exceptional eye appeal" gold sticker no???

msm02.jpg

Her anus needs more bleach. Gold sticker DENIED!!

What if i told you i had a good reason for checking and it's bone white? :blush::whistle::blush:

He said the feedback they have received thus far has been encouraging.

“The feedback has been very positive. Everyone understood the value added proposition,” he said.

Copy revision required. meh