• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

In the car business we called this the "window appraisal". Some managers never went out and looked the car they were appraising. The got up and looked out the window making a cursory examination form afar. The car could have a blown engine, slippy transmission, or smelled like a garbage dump. They never knew. Looking at a book through the slab can only give you a "window appraisal" of the item. You need to get it out of the slab and see how it really looks. What if the book has a light color hiding crease that will not been seen through the plastic slab? How do you sticker that?

What am I missing here? Will you pay more for an 8.5 Action 399 with the CVA label on it? I am really trying to understand this new service......

(thumbs u

Also what do you think of a dealer who will implement this... is it for the "customers" benefit. Or is it a ploy to squeeze.... just a little more juice with the addition of a Krrappy little sticker?

I think we all know the answer to this. :/

Seriously, people, is there anywhere left to go with the dumbing down of this once great hobby? :facepalm:

For the 3rd time, can a miswrapped book get a gold exceptional sticker?

What I'd like to know is, do they consider miswraps when deciding if a comic gets a gold exceptional sticker?

Absolutely. Silver too.

So a book can get an "exceptional eye appeal" gold sticker with a miswrap that almost every single collector considers a HUGE eyesore??? Let me guess, dust shadows, tanning and foxing can get the gold stickers also?

Methinks you just lost any tiny shred of credibility this might have had (thumbs u

What I'd like to know is, do they consider miswraps when deciding if a comic gets a gold exceptional sticker?

Absolutely. Silver too.

So can a comic with a miswrap get the sticker?

1. We do not use CGC notes for multiple reasons. The main reason is that CGC does not always record the notes for books submitted and thus books we review would be on uneven footing. In other words any book that CGC did not record notes for would be at an advantage.

2. We evaluate both eye appeal and structure. We do not necessarily endorse a book just because it can be upgraded. A potential upgrade could actually have low eye appeal in its current state for the grade given.

CGC does not always record the notes for 9.8s. Any other grade you should be able to get the notes

I think the grading tier has more to do with no notes being retained than the grade a comic receives. I've caught a few books which had CT removed on them submitted using a tier which made sure no notes were created or saved.

Please elaborate. To my knowledge, submission "tier" (Economy, Standard, Walk-Through, etc) has nothing to do with the recording of graders' notes. Notes are recorded, to my knowledge, for everything but 9.8s. Exceptions might be from CGC's early days.

I'm going to a printer with the image and printing 10,000 stickers for $100.

I will buy ANY slab for less than $40,add a sticker and sell for $60 as my sticker says my worthless piece of crud looks better than yours.

I urge everyone to do the same.

In fact lets have a contest to add the best stickers.

Mine could say "my balls are the size of coconuts"

Lets face it,when stuck on a slab, its as relevant as some FLICKING DUMBARSE STICKER SAYING CVC!!

CGC could gain some good PR here by coming out and saying - "What a silly idea"

We can hope.

CGC could gain some good PR here by coming out and saying - "What a silly idea"

We can hope.

CGC could also do this all by themselves and make some additional $$.

How difficult would it be for CGC to put a sticker INSIDE the slab for a book that averages 8.76 between the three graders? (8.5+ 8.5+ 9.0 / 3)

If this is indeed what the comic community wants, why would CGC let someone else make some easy $$ off of THEIR hard work?

Anybody?

Absolutely. Silver too.

So a book can get an "exceptional eye appeal" gold sticker with a miswrap that almost every single collector considers a HUGE eyesore??? Let me guess, dust shadows, tanning and foxing can get the gold stickers also?

Methinks you just lost any tiny shred of credibility this might have had (thumbs u

"do they consider miswraps"

Yes, they are a defect. You misinterpreted my answer.

Absolutely. Silver too.

Then quit playing semantics games and answer the damn question! Can miswraps get a gold sticker? Can foxing? Can dust shadows? Can tanning?

I think we all want to know if these MAJOR eyesore defects will still receive a gold sticker as long as someone pays for whatever pricing tier you come up with. Will we ever see a Hulk181 with a miswrap and one of these stickers?

Absolutely. Silver too.

Then quit playing semantics games and answer the damn question! Can miswraps get a gold sticker? Can foxing? Can dust shadows? Can tanning?

I think we all want to know if these MAJOR eyesore defects will still receive a gold sticker as long as someone pays for whatever pricing tier you come up with. Will we ever see a Hulk181 with a miswrap and one of these stickers?

I've been thinking the same thing.

These clowns are in serious back-pedal motion right now. I can just imagine the conversation they are all having with each other.

Absolutely. Silver too.

To answer this question, there would need to be some standard criteria for determining what gets a sticker besides 'this one looks pretty'. Other than whoever pays the most $ obviously.

I'm starting to feel like my miswrap question is being avoided which leads me to believe that a miswrapped can and will receive gold stickers. If that's the case, I REALLY want to hear how this isn't just a money grab on people that don't know any better.

Yup. This.

Also, distributor ink spray size, date stamps, roller smudges, vertical centering, squarebound book spines and production creases.

These defects bother collectors unequally.

I've been thinking the same thing.

These clowns are in serious back-pedal motion right now. I can just imagine the conversation they are all having with each other.

"mess, I can't get the sticker off this miswrapped slab! Why did we go tamper proof? WHY????"

Absolutely. Silver too.

To answer this question, there would need to be some standard criteria for determining what gets a sticker besides 'this one looks pretty'. Other than whoever pays the most $ obviously.

Well, logic would dictate that MAJOR eyesore defects like miswraps, fixing, dust shadows should NEVER receive an "exceptional eye appeal" gold stickers unless its like the only book in existence. The vast majority of collectors despise those things on their comics. How in the hell could you EVER justify giving a Hulk181 with a miswrap a gold star when there are hundreds with perfect registration. If a single one shows up with a gold star, this is all total BS and a scam IMO (shrug)

I would say I'm curious why they won't answer but I'm pretty sure I know why (thumbs u

I'm starting to feel like my miswrap question is being avoided which leads me to believe that a miswrapped can and will receive gold stickers. If that's the case, I REALLY want to hear how this isn't just a money grab on people that don't know any better.

Yup. This.

Also, distributor ink spray size, date stamps, roller smudges, vertical centering, squarebound book spines and production creases.

These defects bother collectors unequally.

And if CGC were to put this information (their notes) on the back of their labels somewhere, this new 'service' would be out of business.

Would you all pay extra $$ to have graders notes on the label somewhere?

Seems like an obvious necessity to a 'graded comic'.