• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

I am the founder and president of CVA . . .

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

Awesome, so in a nutshell you are "verifying" the "verification" of a comic?

Giving redundancy a bad name (thumbs u

I hate to make a blanket statement but this really does sound retarded.

.....It will help those who can't to better buy the book and not the label. It could also help eliminate the mystery of what the back cover looks like (when not provided). It seems to be viewed as a positive and worth a premium in the coin field with CAC. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I ask again....

And why can't CGC just do this themselves, and make some easy additional $$ ?

Anybody?

I think the board graemlins should be used on the stickers. I'd love to see :sick: or :facepalm: or meh

How about :screwy: or :roflmao:

I buy the :eyeroll: 's for cheap, crack and press them into :whee:

Money.

3310.jpg

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

.....It will help those who can't to better buy the book and not the label. It could also help eliminate the mystery of what the back cover looks like (when not provided). It seems to be viewed as a positive and worth a premium in the coin field with CAC. GOD BLESS...

I ask again....

Anybody?

Because it would invalidate their entire grading scale. If they start saying one 9.6 is better than another 9.6 people will start asking "then why the hell are they both 9.6's?!?".

The obvious answer is because one 9.6 is really a 9.55 and the other is a 9.65 but CGC doesn't want to have to start using a 1,000,000 point grading scale breaking grades down to 10 decimal points (thumbs u

I think the one partner, Tomis, is an ex-Comiclink employee. He didn't make the move to Maine and left Clink.

I am excited about this new certification. I don't necessarily think it will do the 'heavy lifting' for the CPR crowd. They certify eye appeal, which doesn't necessarily translate to a higher grade.

So that's where Tomis went...nice guy. IMO, this is "not" a worthless endeavor, as it's clear that eye appeal matters as much as the technical grade. The big fly in the ointment though is universal acceptance.

I think the one partner, Tomis, is an ex-Comiclink employee. He didn't make the move to Maine and left Clink.

I am excited about this new certification. I don't necessarily think it will do the 'heavy lifting' for the CPR crowd. They certify eye appeal, which doesn't necessarily translate to a higher grade.

So that's where Tomis went...nice guy. IMO, this is "not" a worthless endeavor, as it's clear that eye appeal matters as much as the technical grade. The big fly in the ointment though is universal acceptance.

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the "big fly in the ointment" is that 99.99% of us already have our own EYES thus rendering this service useless :facepalm:

I think the board graemlins should be used on the stickers. I'd love to see :sick: or :facepalm: or meh

How about :screwy: or :roflmao:

I have a couple of those Suscha News miswraps also :blush:

Keep that on the DL. You don't want CAL to have more stickered books in the registry, now, do you? :grin:

Because it would invalidate their entire grading scale. If they start saying one 9.6 is better than another 9.6 people will start asking "then why the hell are they both 9.6's?!?".

The obvious answer is because one 9.6 is really a 9.55 and the other is a 9.65 but CGC doesn't want to have to start using a 1,000,000 point grading scale breaking grades down to 10 decimal points (thumbs u

Well, the types of criteria CV is supposedly using is not used for grading criteria at all, so that's technically incorrect. A good looking 9.6 is the same as a bad looking 9.6, which as we all know makes tracking of this via GPA more difficult.

Wasn't CGC's attempt to further define grading a few years ago an attempt to do something similar to this--or was this just restoration definitions?

I ask again....

Anybody?

.....the reason is that CGC can't place themselves in the position of disputing the validity of it's OWN grade. Their whole dynamic is based on market confidence. To say they graded one 8.5 better than another would cast a shadow over their competence. If they were to pursue a more stringent approach it would have to be by providing more grading tiers or to do some market research and begin phasing out unpopular defects from certain grade levels. GOD BLESS...

Who's going to send their comics into CGC for grading, wait 5 months to get them back, then turn around and send them in to get a 'visually appealing' sticker put on it? Shipping/Insurance fees alone wouldn't be worth it. Even if they offered this service for free.

You are monetizing something that is subjective under the guise of objectivity.

I have decided that everyone will pay me $5 and I will let you know that you love Justin Bieber's new album.

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the "big fly in the ointment" is that 99.99% of us already have our own EYES thus rendering this service useless :facepalm:

I would agree, except that 1. there's no universal definition of eye appeal and 2. GPA doesn't capture these cosmetic differences. This would be an attempt to do just that, to better track the financial deltas.

So that's where Tomis went...nice guy. IMO, this is "not" a worthless endeavor, as it's clear that eye appeal matters as much as the technical grade. The big fly in the ointment though is universal acceptance that anyone with a pair of eyes and some stickers can do the same thing.

Fixed that for you. (thumbs u

You are monetizing something that is subjective under the guise of objectivity.

I have decided that everyone will pay me $5 and I will let you know that you love Justin Bieber'd new album.

189643834279165740_Bfnssybg_b.jpg

I would agree, except that 1. there's no universal definition of eye appeal and 2. GPA doesn't capture these cosmetic differences. This would be an attempt to do just that, to better track the financial deltas.

So this service is going to create a universal definition of 'eye appeal'? doh!

Who's going to send their comics into CGC for grading, wait 5 months to get them back, then turn around and send them in to get a 'visually appealing' sticker put on it? Shipping/Insurance fees alone wouldn't be worth it. Even if they offered this service for free.

I'm not vouching for the viability of the service, simply that it's a service gap that does have some value in my opinion.

Well, the types of criteria CV is supposedly using is not used for grading criteria at all, so that's technically incorrect. A good looking 9.6 is the same as a bad looking 9.6, which as we all know makes tracking of this via GPA more difficult.

Wasn't CGC's attempt to further define grading a few years ago an attempt to do something similar to this--or was this just restoration definitions?

So basically you're saying this service is for the 0.1% of comic collectors that are blind and can't tell a "good looking" 9.6 from a "bad looking" 9.6??? I think they need to get these hologram stickers in Braille so the 50 collectors that would find this service useful can tell if they got a gold or silver sticker book! (thumbs u