• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CV Comic Verification - a new layer to the encapsulation process

1,159 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if this is the absolute first time CVA-stickered comics have been offered for sale in the open market? There are zero hits for "CVA" in the eBay comics section.
When they do end up hitting eBay, I bet they will all be from the same seller.

In addition to this crazy amount of monkey lard, not only can you get silver STICKERS but you could get GOLD STICKERS!!!!, but careful gold stickers will be very rarely given out! they cost 2 cents per gold as opposed to the 1 cent silvers!

Hi Bruce.

I remember back when I was with Zen Comics, there was a buyer who would get multiple copies of an issue in a given grade. He then would compare them directly with each other and keep the best and sell the rest. I believe this client thought there are copies in the same grade with differing eye appeal and he was looking for superior/exceptional copies for his collection. I know that some collectors try to cherry pick nice copies for the grade to add to their collections. This service can help those collectors especially in an online environment when the book can't be held in hand.

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{..__;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..

Hi Bruce.

I remember back when I was with Zen Comics, there was a buyer who would get multiple copies of an issue in a given grade. He then would compare them directly with each other and keep the best and sell the rest. I believe this client thought there are copies in the same grade with differing eye appeal and he was looking for superior/exceptional copies for his collection. I know that some collectors try to cherry pick nice copies for the grade to add to their collections. This service can help those collectors especially in an online environment when the book can't be held in hand.

SO then is your "grading" based solely on the outside appearance of a book?

and what are the grading credentials for a silver vs gold sticker?

You cant say theres an exceptional and then a Superbly exceptional looking book.

Hi Bruce.

Can you supply 2 identically graded books and show the difference between a CVA and a non CVA book too please?

HOw much does the sticker cost to make?

How much does it cost to have a sticker put on the slab?

I'm considering a slabbing service for graded books that have been verified to be really, really, really, really good looking.

I already did that. You can't take my idea and try to make money with it. That would be unethical.

Hi Bruce.

Can you supply 2 identically graded books and show the difference between a CVA and a non CVA book too please?

HOw much does the sticker cost to make?

How much does it cost to have a sticker put on the slab?

Have they actually had people submit their comics for this service or are all these CVA stickered comics from their personal inventory?

I am the founder and president of CVA . . .

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

CAC, a coin service that places its holographic sticker on holders that are considered "premium-quality" have added between 10 - 30% of value to those coins. Why? Because they have superior eye appeal. Humans beings always seek and gravitate towards people or things with higher visual appeal. Comic books are no exception. Moreover, we all want value for our hard earned money.

There are numerous comic books, even in ultra high grade, assigned the same grade, which may be technically correct, but in fact they are less appealing to collectors. For example, there are 200 examples of Hulk 181 in 9.6 - are they all the same? Of course not. Until now, there has been no objective, third party designation of the ones with distinctly exceptional visual appeal within the assigned grade. CVA fills that gap.

There has been numerous times when I purchased a comic book online but was disappointment when I received it. This service is meant to be a voice, an advocate if you will, for the collector.

We are currently working with auction houses and dealers. ComicLink will be the first of many. Pricing tiers will also be finalized soon.

Please feel free to stop by booth #307 at the NYCC. I would like the opportunity to address your concerns.

Pricing tiers?!? :facepalm:

So i assume this means that no matter what, i will NEVER see a mis-wrapped book with one of these stickers on it?

Maybe i'm a cynic but i have a bad feeling i will with something saying "this is a REALLY nice looking mis-wrapped book!" hm

This is what I'm now thinking: from 0.5 to 10.0, there are 25 different grades. A comic can potentially have hundreds of defects. Therefore a book with 15 defects might be slightly better than one with 17 defects, but both might be a VF, because, there is nothing between a VF- and VF. You have to pick one or the other. Thus, you have some dealers that occasionally use the unofficial "9.5" or "9.3" grades. I know what this means and don't have a problem with it: they are trying to signal that it is an exceptional NM, or NM- (using the above examples) but not good enough to be the next grade up.

One way we used to be able to identify the same differentiation was when CGC, upon request, used to tell you what the three individual graders graded a book. For example, a 9.4 might have been graded 9.4 by 2 graders and 9.6 by the third. At some point they stopped giving out this information.

This CVA thing is a similar attempt to differentiate NM+ from say, NM++. They are inventing a grade in between the existing grade (with Silver and Gold levels, they are actually inventing 2 intragrade grades). But I reject the notion that anyone can do that without handling the books, outside of the slab, and definitely not without the graders' notes. You can easily inspect a coin through plastic. Comics are different.

My concern is that these stickers go on every comic you sell, along with a 30% price hike hm

If there's a 'pricing tier' involved, there's vested interest in giving out as many of these holograms as possible.

For a short time, they will be sought after, but once every book has been stickered as 'exceptional', the jig will be up and our stickering friends will move on to another shell game venture.

How much does it cost you to produce 1 silver and 1 gold hologram non removable sticker?

Can you supply me with a SIDE by SIDE picture of 2 coins/ 2 comics that you are talking about one with this exceptional eye appeal and one without.

My serious response to this service.

The main problem with a service like this is that it's completely subjective. People will argue with an assigned CGC grade, but at least there is a set of grading criteria, albeit a private set, but you believe that they apply the same grading standards with all their books.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love time stamps. I think they make a book look fantastic and add a historic dimension that a similar copy without it lacks. Miswraps kill me. I don't care if I can shave with the corners and the book is as vibrant as the day it came off the press, a 9.8 should never ever have one.

This is simply my personal feelings on what I find appealing in a comic. What criteria would this company use to determine eye appeal?