• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative routes to selling comics

40 posts in this topic

I have sold my fair share of comics here, but recently I have been having a hard time selling most of my lots.

You can look here at any thread that doesn't have *SOLD* in the title to see whats left. Its I think 15 threads.

I have had a Daredevil lot up since August 29th. Its not even my oldest unsold lot listed here. Lowered the price plenty as you can see. Open to offers as well. That same thing has happened with all kinds of other threads. I notice as far as Daredevil and Justice League as far as readers go, no1 seems to give 2 shlts about those here. The price I have set for the quality I have as well as the lack of offers I have for almost all non sold lots listed tells me my price has nothing to do with the fact they have not been sold. I have had plenty of buyers here and have done ok, so I know it isn't a bad rep either. Only thing I can come up with is just that nobody wants these lots.

I will still list new lots here, but I need somewhere else to sell the ones nobody cares about here. I have some more I would like to list here, but can't get over the amount of open threads I already have here.

I know of comic link, comic connect, ebay and craigslist

As for ebay, I would really prefer not to sell raw comics there. I can't get disagreements with grades and dealing with returns out of my head. The time taken, worrying if the buyer would return my comics and put the care and security as I do into shipping things securely and thinking about getting them back more messed up. I have too many to sell, if I was just doing 1 lot then whatever, but a lot of stuff may cost me a lot of time. Not to mention since I barely sell on ebay my score is low making it harder for me. Maybe my worries are unreasonable, but I can't get past the stories I read here from people about trying to sell raw comics to someone. All this even with as far as I have heard people say I grade well and some even say I under grade. I still worry. Let me know if my thoughts are off.

As for craigslist, I have my own issues with that, but the biggest thing for that is I have no clue how good of an option that is. Do you guys buy off craigslist often? Do you sell? I mean it would save me time to not box up things like I do and save people money on shipping. Would just cut my customer base to locals.

I don't know much about comic link and connect. I know I see a lot of slabs there. I don't know if whatever fees or ways to sell things there would make that a viable option of selling raw comics.

Is there another alternative I didn't list? Whats my best option besides here? Most of what I have is SA readers a lot of GD/VG to FN+ range and some cheap moderns mostly in the FN/VF to NM+ range.

I'm no expert but I've seen the lots you've put up for sale' and here's what I'd suggest.

1. Combine your threads, one continuous thread for "SA marvel lots" will give buyers a better comfort level with you - when you post a new lot discount your previous ones in the same thread if you wish that haven't sold - you'll take up less real estate in the selling forums.

2. If a lot doesn't sell, break it down and then do a clearance thread for $5 ea or $3 ea - people like old SA books in mid-grade but may not want 20 of them to fill a couple holes in a run.

3. You are new, some people will not buy from you - I would suggest you post somewhere other than the PGM and sales threads -if you are just here to sell that is fine with me but some people prefer to only buy from people they know or at least feel they know.

2c

I will check that out mldynes. Thanks.

bababooey, I had just thought of combining the unsold lots into 1 big thread a few days ago. I was actually kinda set on doing it, but wanted to ask this first. I figured due to the general lack of interest there was no rush on doing that as opposed to making this thread.

Your #2 I have done that for a couple lots, but for the amount of comics I have to sell, that is not the option for me. If I only had a couple lots then ok, but trying to sell 2,500 comics I got left like that is much too much time and work, would also cost me more money, so its bad all around unless the comics are worth something and not ones that are worth 1-10 each.

Your #3 I have posted a bit outside of those 2 sections. Not so much, mostly because I have other things on my plate as well as constantly grading comics, scanning comics, pricing comics, listing comics, wrapping them up and shipping them. Doesn't leave me with much time to leisurely post too much here. Not to mention the main thread I posted in here trying to fit in around here and tell my story, have people get to know me, went over badly as people judged me, criticized my intentions and were all around dlcks to me. To which anyone can go see I never said bad things about anyone else beforehand. Didn't make me feel at home enough to put in the extra effort I would need to become more of a part of the community, so I just stuck to selling. The replies and insults I got for no reason in that thread soured me to that aspect of this forum honestly. I have no ill will towards most here and I am perfectly fine with a lot here, but just saying that's why I stick more to selling only. I didn't like how some of the community here treated me when I wasn't selling them things. Selling here is the only sure way I got some respect.

As for me being new I understand, but I thought with the amount of sales I have made here (around 60) in the amount of time I have been here (just over 3 months) and stuff like my kudos thread which you can see in my signature that the issue of being 'unknown' wasn't an issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought my kudos thread would have made any new buyer more comfortable with dealing with me even though my join date is late July.

Thanks for the advice though. Same to you techvoo

Lots are a tough sell around here, unless they are bargain bin pricing or high grade. Most of my lots I've put up, I ended up selling at the 'Bay. Had a couple NPBs, but for the most part I sold the rest of my runs and drek.

I'd give Ebay another try. I know everyone here makes it sound like every other sale is someone trying to screw you over, but in the past few years of selling (about 100 listings), I've only had two NPB and no one complaining about my books. It's not really that bad for a second alternative.

*sighs*

I guess I will give ebay a shot again. Pick 1 lot I have here and see what happens with that before thinking about others.

Maybe it just seems worse because more talk about bad experiences and not the good ones.

Yeah - I do like the kinds of people who buy my books here. I have tremendous luck with singles, but it seems that the collectors here on the boards are rarely into lots - maybe because they either have them, or already piecing them together, and don't need to buy them as a bunch. I'd give ol Ebay a shot, and factor in the extra costs involved.

I just picked up a run of Deathlok Astonishing Tales on Ebay, so I know there's a market out there for people who want to buy in bulk.

Here's where I send my drek:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics

I get an education at the same time, books that I was having trouble moving in dollar boxes can be worth a nice chunk of change. I usually wait until I have a full short box before I send it off.

I'm curious what kind of prices you get from this site. I have a couple short boxes of misc partial modern runs that i want to unload. Ebay isn't an option for me.

*sighs*

I guess I will give ebay a shot again. Pick 1 lot I have here and see what happens with that before thinking about others.

Maybe it just seems worse because more talk about bad experiences and not the good ones.

Going through your lots I see that you've actually sold a ton of books. Pretty impressive actually. Unfortunately you sold off the keys early and then the decent books during the discount rounds and now you have mid to low grade books left that are very common and without much demand.

Your best bet is probably to batch them up and put them in a clink or mycomicshop auction and you'll probably get $2 or $3 per book.

Here's where I send my drek:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics

I get an education at the same time, books that I was having trouble moving in dollar boxes can be worth a nice chunk of change. I usually wait until I have a full short box before I send it off.

I'm curious what kind of prices you get from this site. I have a couple short boxes of misc partial modern runs that i want to unload. Ebay isn't an option for me.

I sent in a list or around 150 Daredevils I have with my price so I will see what they offer me.

Looking at certain comics that are at least around that GD/VG to FN range they offer around 25% of Overstreet. Sometimes its a bit higher or lower, but I never saw a comic that was as high as 50% OS. Unless a key I usually charge 50% OS for my stuff posted here at the most. So, I looked at it as whatever my original prices are listed here they would prob give me btwn 30-50% of my asking price (b4 price cuts) here.

I saw one comic I have with an OS value of 22 and they offered 4 and some change, so they can go lower. Depends on what it is. I also checked some random comics I have and some of them they weren't interested in buying.

I will still list future lots here, but depending on the offers they give me with how ebay goes I may choose one of them for comics completely dead here.

Or maybe I should check comic link too if selling lots there is a decent option.

Comic link and comic connect are hard sells unless the book is some type of key issue. Also on comic link you will spend most your time on the site rejecting crazy lowball offers from people but I do like them for selling keys.

It sucks trying to find alternatives to ebay but I am standing firm in my boycott of no longer using the site. (long story)

I wouldn't mind selling here but I have only been on the site for a couple months so I doubt I would get many hits. I may list some random books on here though and see what happens. I really need to clear out modern marvel and dc runs so I can make some room.

*sighs*

Going through your lots I see that you've actually sold a ton of books. Pretty impressive actually. Unfortunately you sold off the keys early and then the decent books during the discount rounds and now you have mid to low grade books left that are very common and without much demand.

Your best bet is probably to batch them up and put them in a clink or mycomicshop auction and you'll probably get $2 or $3 per book.

MCS does not currently allow you to sell groupings or lots. I'd like them to start doing so, but no go as of yet.

Comic link and comic connect are hard sells unless the book is some type of key issue. Also on comic link you will spend most your time on the site rejecting crazy lowball offers from people but I do like them for selling keys.

It sucks trying to find alternatives to ebay but I am standing firm in my boycott of no longer using the site. (long story)

I wouldn't mind selling here but I have only been on the site for a couple months so I doubt I would get many hits. I may list some random books on here though and see what happens. I really need to clear out modern marvel and dc runs so I can make some room.

Isn't it great when you get a $25 offer on a book you listed at $200?

Some people must have alot of time on thier hands.

That sounds about right.

50% OS is pretty much top dollar for non-key lower grade Marvels that aren't Spidey or X-men. If you're patent you can find a lot of deals at 25%-33% of OS.

One big challenge for these books is that shipping plays a major role in their pricing.

I think you've got a decent selling strategy. You've sold a decent amount on the boards, but you've got some lots with little board demand. If the mycomicshop offer is too low, I would just move the lots that haven't sold to Ebay.

I sent in a list or around 150 Daredevils I have with my price so I will see what they offer me.

Looking at certain comics that are at least around that GD/VG to FN range they offer around 25% of Overstreet. Sometimes its a bit higher or lower, but I never saw a comic that was as high as 50% OS. Unless a key I usually charge 50% OS for my stuff posted here at the most. So, I looked at it as whatever my original prices are listed here they would prob give me btwn 30-50% of my asking price (b4 price cuts) here.

I saw one comic I have with an OS value of 22 and they offered 4 and some change, so they can go lower. Depends on what it is. I also checked some random comics I have and some of them they weren't interested in buying.

I will still list future lots here, but depending on the offers they give me with how ebay goes I may choose one of them for comics completely dead here.

Or maybe I should check comic link too if selling lots there is a decent option.

So, you think I could net more on ebay than MCS?

Well, I have put 1 lot on ebay so far. Been only 1 day so far, but they key thing I notice is in 24 hours it only has 3 views.

I can have the best price ever for it and it wouldn't matter if nobody even views the thing.

I don't know what to do about that.

Well, I have put 1 lot on ebay so far. Been only 1 day so far, but they key thing I notice is in 24 hours it only has 3 views.

I can have the best price ever for it and it wouldn't matter if nobody even views the thing.

It's all about how much time you want to wait. If you want money now, MCS is a good option, but you'll likely be leaving some money on the table over eBay. The problem with eBay is that it may take you a year or longer to get rid of all your books, continually re-listing and discounting. Also, you only get 50 free auction type listings per month, so anything above and beyond that you'll be hit with listing fees.

How much is your time worth? Have you thought about getting a table at some local shows?

Definitely. In my experience you can do 2x or more better on eBay than MCS for what sells. The difference is you are unlikely to sell everything in one go on eBay and having to deal with all the shipping hassles and possible returns in addition to the work to scan everything and create and manage listings.

*sighs*

MCS does not currently allow you to sell groupings or lots. I'd like them to start doing so, but no go as of yet.

Didn't realize that tks