• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

I remember one drawing of his, of the Kingpin. A buddy of mine described it as "a body the size of Rhode Island and a head the size of a baseball."

I'll admit that his change in style from an Adams clone was dramatic and unique, but aesthetically it's like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

Yeah, he's bad. I think he has finally given up the spider man flippers

and hot dog fingers which is a move in the right direction.

I would like to add Eric Canete as well. What a turd!

131280.jpg

:P

You've posted that single panel before haven't you.

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

You actually like his art in The End League?

I don't read a lot of new comics, at least outside of indies,

It was a Dark Horse book, does that count?

but I have seen dozens of Eric's covers, paintings and stand alone works and the guy has a gift that might be misplaced in comics and is certainly not something that's going to get appreciated by the generic "Tights and Boobs" crowd.

Then he should leave comics if he sucks at it :shrug:

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

Lady Stilt-Man? lol

jlacj_3_dylux-1-copy1.jpg

I didn't like Mauro Cascioli Cry for Justice work. Everything has fuzzy edges and the wind was always blowing everyone's hair around. In this case in two separate directions.

The boys are just excited by Kara's midriff.

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

but I have seen dozens of Eric's covers, paintings and stand alone works and the guy has a gift that might be misplaced in comics and is certainly not something that's going to get appreciated by the generic "Tights and Boobs" crowd.

Not being the latest clone of a pat, stale, guy who came before him or the next "Grimm Fairy Tales Tits and of the Month Club" artist doesn't mean he sucks at comics.

It just makes him different.

The immense respect he has earned amongst his peers (and it is considerable) should be an indicator that there's something going on with his skill and talent that is ill described as "sucks at it."

I didn't like Mauro Cascioli Cry for Justice work. Everything has fuzzy edges and the wind was always blowing everyone's hair around. In this case in two separate directions.

I don't read much, if any, moderns, so this guy's new to me. But I kinda dig his art if this is a representation of it.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I get that some people don't like Ditko. His work isn't among my favorites either, but to say that he's basically as bad as Frank Robbins is not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy. :screwy:

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

You've posted that single panel before, haven't you?

PROVE IT!

lol

anyway, I am just not a fan of his style - too cartoony for my tastes...

he did a ASM cover featured Deadpool that was funny (because of the concept

and the fact that his style is commercial), but that's all I'll give him.

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Of course! When I think Namor, I think DeNiro.

I get that some people don't like Ditko. His work isn't among my favorites either, but to say that he's basically as bad as Frank Robbins is not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy. :screwy:

Yeah, comparing anyone to Frank Robbins is kind of a low blow I admit...Ditko does have some interesting ideas, I just find his execution clumsy, awkward and amateurish (yes I know clumsy and awkward are sometimes the point of his work). He'd be better directing others with more technical skill.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

puppy-pile-on-1.gif

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

Not being the latest clone of a pat, stale, guy who came before him or the next "Grimm Fairy Tales Tits and of the Month Club" artist doesn't mean he sucks at comics.

The immense respect he has earned amongst his peers (and it is considerable) should be an indicator that there's something going on with his skill and talent that is ill described as "sucks at it."

I don't know who this guy is, and my first reaction to seeing that Spider-Man page was "WTF?"

That's not a commentary on this guy's skill as an artist, but a Spider-Man comic book might not be the best fit for his particular style.

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Of course! When I think Namor, I think DeNiro.

So I'm Fishy?! In what way am I Fcukin' Fishy? Like a Clown-Fish for your amusement?!

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

I don't know who this guy is, and my first reaction to seeing that Spider-Man page was "WTF?"

That's not a commentary on this guy's skill as an artist, but a Spider-Man comic book might not be the best fit for his particular style.

Mainstream comics may be the worst possible fit, given the audience expectations.

I don't read much, if any, moderns, so this guy's new to me. But I kinda dig his art if this is a representation of it.

I personally loved Mauro Cascioli's painted art of the Cry for Justice series.

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

I see the word "genius" thrown around almost as much as the word "great".

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

I see the word "genius" thrown around almost as much as the word "great".

Ask some of his contemporaries in the field what they think of him. You'll find both words used frequently with much sincerity and admiration.

Great indicates to me superior technical skill and a level of mastery over some area.

Genius, in this area, indicates to me a spark of something unique and something I haven't seen before, a true bit of inspiration that is exceedingly rare.

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

Mainstream comics may be the worst possible fit, given the audience expectations.

To be fair, genre conventions exist virtually in every type of art form. I understand your frustration with comments like "he sucks at comics", but I also understand the reaction and I don't think it's a lack of taste as much as it is a lack of context. I love Frazetta and think he was a genius, but I wouldn't expect a Frazetta illustrated Anime to be well received by that crowd.