• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Sandy

245 posts in this topic

My family down in Wildwood, NJ lost their house to flooding and it being floated up off its foundation and into the bay. My wife's family out in Rockaway, NY had their entire house flooded and destroyed, and her aunt and uncle's home in Breezy Point, NY burned to the ground along with 110 others. I'm happy for those not effected by this storm but for me and the ones I care about, this was a completely devastating and life altering storm and not something I enjoy being made light of. My wife and I live in a one bedroom apartment in Jersey City and there are presently 13 people staying there on and off along with two dogs.

Ouch. I spent many a summer hanging out in Rockaway (a 20 minute A train ride). Howard Beach also got blasted. The shore line of Charles Park has been changed forever.

My family down in Wildwood, NJ lost their house to flooding and it being floated up off its foundation and into the bay. My wife's family out in Rockaway, NY had their entire house flooded and destroyed, and her aunt and uncle's home in Breezy Point, NY burned to the ground along with 110 others. I'm happy for those not effected by this storm but for me and the ones I care about, this was a completely devastating and life altering storm and not something I enjoy being made light of. My wife and I live in a one bedroom apartment in Jersey City and there are presently 13 people staying there on and off along with two dogs.
Very sorry to hear this. :(

....what a bummer. Wildwood is one of the neatest towns on the planet.....I'm very sad to here this. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wow, my heart goes out to you and your family. Never thought I'd see this kind of destruction in the tristate area. Truly heart breaking.

I’ve been through countless hurricanes and I really feel terrible for the members here and all of those people who are going through the aftermath of this hurricane and the tragedies associated. I am from and currently live in south Louisiana, just a few miles from the coast and my wife is from New Orleans.

We have both endured all of what we see those people on the northeast coast experiencing and we know that it is gut wrenching, absolutely horrible. It can be a test of human endurance and perseverance. The only comfort I can offer to those affected … time does and will heal everything. It may seem like things will never be the same but amazingly the human spirit is resilient and people will pull together and rebuild as good as or better than before.

Good luck to anyone has been affected by this catastrophe and my best wishes for a speedy return to normalcy in your lives.

Old Howard Beach really took a beating.

We lived on 96th Street between 16-157th avenues. Not quite Hamilton Beach area but close enough. I get sick each time I think about it. Who knew living in FLA would have been safer over the last 20 years.

Very sorry to hear this. :(

Same here... that's terrible news. :(

We lived on 96th Street between 16-157th avenues. Not quite Hamilton Beach area but close enough. I get sick each time I think about it. Who knew living in FLA would have been safer over the last 20 years.

My friend that I wrote about is on 99th street, about three blocks south of the Belt.

Not sure of the Avenue but I'd guess 157 or so. Cloest water was a canal several blocks away to the west.

My friend that I wrote about is on 99th street, about three blocks south of the Belt.

Not sure of the Avenue but I'd guess 157 or so. Cloest water was a canal several blocks away to the west.

The one near Golds Gym? Used to be a bowling alley back in the day. We used to play softball on the side of the belt parkway. When I think back on it is it a miracle I survived.

If you listened to Sean Hannity today, you'd think NYC had imploded.

It isn't surprising that the are trying to play this. Obama has done much of the same too. How could they not with the election the following week?

Let's just hope people in NYC are doing all right and they have power soon!

Edit: Why is "" a spooned word?

So dooshburgers can't use it to make political comments.

...like you just did.

Huh? I made a pretty neutral comment...I'm confused... :frustrated:

I do not sell very much but put a few pieces of OA on eBay right before Sandy hit. Bad timing I know. While the piece sold for the less than I hoped for I was glad to see that 2 of my 3 buyers were alright. I did have to message my 3rd buyer after four days and to my delight they paid tonight. I did however learn that they were in florida and was delighted to know they made it through fine. I cannot say i was not anxious but their payment response of "please ship with protection" was enough to make me feel good about having a sense of patience. I have not read this thread but hope that all my fellow boardies are doing well!

-Joe

For those confronted with long gas lines- if you have a gas can or two, its much quicker to park your car and walk up to the pumps. Even if you need make two or three trips back to your car, its faster and you'll be saving gas by not idling for an hour or however long it takes on the car line.

I set my alarm for 4:30AM. I had to drive past five gas stations before finding an open one on RT 17 but there was no line at all.

Still lots of gas lines by me as well. The only difference yesterday was no police presences. I tried waiting on one line but gave up after there was confusion as to where everyone was on line. I am going to venture out at 7AM as a few stations open up around then.

It also appears FEMA is denying certain claims. They are meeting with my Mom today, but neighbors with worse damage have been told they are getting no additional assistance.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Now that's incredible. On what grounds are they denying assistance? That the neighborhood was not poor enough to qualify? What a double standard between help in Brooklyn versus New Orleans.

It also appears FEMA is denying certain claims. They are meeting with my Mom today, but neighbors with worse damage have been told they are getting no additional assistance.

Theres an article in Newsday that sort of explains the FEMA process. This is a quote from FEMA spokesman Bill Rukayser " This issue is, you've taken a hit and your home is unihabitable or taken a severe damage and their are repairs neccasary to meet basic standards" " We are not talking about 'I had an old Persian rug and it got waterlogged. Thats a shame but its not a disaster." End quote.

It appears that FEMA assumes those living in flood plain have the mandidtory flood insurance so your home owners insurance will cover that. Losing power and having your basement flooded is not a disaster to them. Being forced from your home because you have no power or heat is not the same as being forced out because your home was swamped with an eight foot surge of muck.

But just because you don't qualify for a FEMA grant doesn'rt mean they can't help you. They can help you get low interest loans from the SBA. Also, even though you get turned down, your application is used in determining which localities get grants to their local governments and volunteer agencies.