• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Sandy

245 posts in this topic

Sounds like they've cancelled the marathon, for the best if emergency services are already stretched. Can't believe some of the athletes are complaining, surely people's safety comes 1st?

Well I just hope that everyone this is effecting is staying safe :wishluck:

If you listened to Sean Hannity today, you'd think NYC had imploded. He was calling for the National Guard, claiming tens of thousands of people were trapped in Manhattan, and that people were starving on staten island. He actually tried to say the situation was worst than Katrina. He made it a point to say there was only one gas station open in his town. What he neglected to say is there is only one gas station in his town to begin with.

Gas lines are long. Is this unusual for the week afrer a hurricane?

Electricity is slowly being restored, many more businesses are up and running today.

I heard the NYPD finally was able to rescue the folks who had been stranded on the escalator in midtown since power went out.

Not the slightest sign of civil unrest or looting in my neighborhoods.

I live in Westchester county which is just outside of the City. Most of the gas stations by me are out of gas. I spent a good portion of the day looking for gas for someone. I only found one gas station out of tens of dozens that had gas. I was looking in a 30 mile radius. After work, I did find one station that was getting a gas delivery. I was shocked. There was only two stations I called that didn't have power but does have gas. So once the power is turned on then it is OK. However, those stations are running out quickly.

The problem is many people are still without power and are running generators. It is going to be a very cold weekend. There are elderly people without power. It isn't good.

Sounds like they've cancelled the marathon, for the best if emergency services are already stretched. Can't believe some of the athletes are complaining, surely people's safety comes 1st?

It's truly a no-win situation. :( I'm not surprised the athletes are unhappy... they've trained for the event all year long, and most of them have probably lost thousands between the airfare, hotels and the entry fee. I do agree with the decision to cancel, but it does still suck.

I finally got power back this morning. Still kind of in a fog here..

Good to hear, you're in Brick also I seem to remember. The wife and I are still without power but are fairing better than some others. We luckily have a gas fireplace and stove. Also have hot water to shower. Things are getting better each day!

Good to hear, you're in Brick also I seem to remember. The wife and I are still without power but are fairing better than some others. We luckily have a gas fireplace and stove. Also have hot water to shower. Things are getting better each day!

It's amazing how much our perspective changes in tough times. Even a glass of water or a hot shower can mean the world.

If you listened to Sean Hannity today, you'd think NYC had imploded. He was calling for the National Guard, claiming tens of thousands of people were trapped in Manhattan, and that people were starving on staten island. He actually tried to say the situation was worst than Katrina. He made it a point to say there was only one gas station open in his town. What he neglected to say is there is only one gas station in his town to begin with.

Gas lines are long. Is this unusual for the week afrer a hurricane?

Electricity is slowly being restored, many more businesses are up and running today.

I heard the NYPD finally was able to rescue the folks who had been stranded on the escalator in midtown since power went out.

Not the slightest sign of civil unrest or looting in my neighborhoods.

I live in Westchester county which is just outside of the City. Most of the gas stations by me are out of gas. I spent a good portion of the day looking for gas for someone. I only found one gas station out of tens of dozens that had gas. I was looking in a 30 mile radius. After work, I did find one station that was getting a gas delivery. I was shocked. There was only two stations I called that didn't have power but does have gas. So once the power is turned on then it is OK. However, those stations are running out quickly.

The problem is many people are still without power and are running generators. It is going to be a very cold weekend. There are elderly people without power. It isn't good.

Best place ive found for gas was middletown....almost no line at all...

Completely different, but what I hear reminds me alot of the ice storm we had here nearly 3 years ago. We were without power/phones for 11 plus days. Luckily, we had a propane stove, and I was lucky enough in a few days to find a propane heater.

It was a few days before our road was passable, due to trees down from the ice, and even after that was cleared up, we had a thick layer of ice on the roads. I was going every day to find a gas station with gas, driving all over creation, hearing about a station, driving their to find out they were out. When I finally found gas, I spent the rest of the day trying to find propane, and when I found propane, I spent the rest of the day trying to find a generator.

We moved all our food outside in coolers, which was okay because it was so cold, heating up water on the stove to wash off with. Lighting the house at night with candles, checking on family(89 year old grandmother). My mom and dad came and stayed with us, so we could save on gas, food, etc.

After the 6th or 7th day, I finally found a generator for a little over $1000.00. We would use it for the refrigerator for a while, for washer or dryer for a while, for heaters for a while.

On the 12th day, I left for NYCC 2009 in Feb, and the power came on later that day.

It's amazing how much our perspective changes in tough times. Even a glass of water or a hot shower can mean the world.

This is true. Especially compared to the devastation that happened to others so close to us.

Sitting here in the dark on a fading iPhone doesn't seem so bad at all, not at all...

How does one get stranded on an escalator? (shrug)

Can't they just walk up or down?

It's New York. The ones at the top wanted to go down and the ones at the bottom wanted to go up. They spent three days arguing about it.

j/k I hate to hear about the troubles but glad to hear things are improving. I went through multiple hurricanes when I lived in Baton Rouge and none came close to Sandy.

Just in after a long afternoon and evening getting gas and supplies for friends in much worse shape than myself.

Went down to old Howard Beach in Queens to help out an old friend who seems to be living the life of Job. His oldest daughter died last year in a car crash and his wife in the final stages of breast cancer, He lives in a split level high ranch far from the bay but his block was hit with an eight foot storm surge. Everything in the basement and on the first level was ruined.

I hadn't given it much thought, but what happened to him happened to his entire neighborhood. Picture the entire contents of houses out at the curb or on the front lawn. Pianos, 60 inch tvs. stereo systems, gaming systems, paintings, books, furniture- all out to be discarded. Every car for blocks around ruined.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Brought him another ice chest and twenty pounds of ice, as well as some food stuffs.

As I entered the neighborhood, I was accosted by two very hard looking men who asked me what my business there was. They didn't want any gawkers, and I passed a sign that gave me a chuckle- Please try to loot us. Our guns and ammo were on the second floor.

Ended up taking him and his neighbor out to get gas for their generators. Two hour wait for a total of eight gallons.

Gassed up my own car in Farmingdale after a forty five minute wait, and then went back with a friends car for another slightly longer wait.

Many more stations were open today, but I saw huge lines of people sitting in cars just now waiting for stations to open. in the morning. I'm hearing things should be much better by Tuesday.

He and his son are coming over tomorrow for the Giants game and some hot showers.

PS- he dropped his flood insurance a couple of years back when his wifes illness prevented her from working.

so sad, this storm really hurt a lot of people!

Just in after a long afternoon and evening getting gas and supplies for friends in much worse shape than myself.

Went down to old Howard Beach in Queens to help out an old friend who seems to be living the life of Job. His oldest daughter died last year in a car crash and his wife in the final stages of breast cancer, He lives in a split level high ranch far from the bay but his block was hit with an eight foot storm surge. Everything in the basement and on the first level was ruined.

I hadn't given it much thought, but what happened to him happened to his entire neighborhood. Picture the entire contents of houses out at the curb or on the front lawn. Pianos, 60 inch tvs. stereo systems, gaming systems, paintings, books, furniture- all out to be discarded. Every car for blocks around ruined.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Brought him another ice chest and twenty pounds of ice, as well as some food stuffs.

As I entered the neighborhood, I was accosted by two very hard looking men who asked me what my business there was. They didn't want any gawkers, and I passed a sign that gave me a chuckle- Please try to loot us. Our guns and ammo were on the second floor.

Ended up taking him and his neighbor out to get gas for their generators. Two hour wait for a total of eight gallons.

Gassed up my own car in Farmingdale after a forty five minute wait, and then went back with a friends car for another slightly longer wait.

Many more stations were open today, but I saw huge lines of people sitting in cars just now waiting for stations to open. in the morning. I'm hearing things should be much better by Tuesday.

He and his son are coming over tomorrow for the Giants game and some hot showers.

Looting is going on in Long Island. I know first hand. If you want to turn a blind eye so that you sleep better at night and can justify your ridiculously high taxes... more power to you.

In Massapequa, in Nassau Shores I know that I helped my friends salvage their belongings on Wednesday. I was also there this afternoon when they went back.

This afternoon we went back to throw the non salvageable things to the curb. Things were not where we left them and a couple of things were missing. Unless another storm hit and rearranged their living room and opened up their dresser drawers, someone else was in their place.