• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Sandy

245 posts in this topic

Looting is going on in Long Island. I know first hand. If you want to turn a blind eye so that you sleep better at night and can justify your ridiculously high taxes... more power to you.

In Massapequa, in Nassau Shores I know that I helped my friends salvage their belongings on Wednesday. I was also there this afternoon when they went back.

This afternoon we went back to throw the non salvageable things to the curb. Things were not where we left them and a couple of things were missing. Unless another storm hit and rearranged their living room and opened up their dresser drawers, someone else was in their place.

Darnations, man.

You see muggings at comic shows, abductions in midtown, looting at your friends houses.

There really isn't a balrog in every woodpile. Get ahold of yourself.

Looting is going on in Long Island. I know first hand. If you want to turn a blind eye so that you sleep better at night and can justify your ridiculously high taxes... more power to you.

In Massapequa, in Nassau Shores I know that I helped my friends salvage their belongings on Wednesday. I was also there this afternoon when they went back.

This afternoon we went back to throw the non salvageable things to the curb. Things were not where we left them and a couple of things were missing. Unless another storm hit and rearranged their living room and opened up their dresser drawers, someone else was in their place.

Darnations, man.

You see muggings at comic shows, abductions in midtown, looting at your friends houses.

There really isn't a balrog in every woodpile. Get ahold of yourself.

I never have claimed nor even insinuated abductions.

Perhaps what I do professionally has jaded me into seeing some of the ugly as to what is out there. But I know the dresser drawers were closed. You live on Long Island, open your eyes. While it is not as bad as what Hannity is claiming (He is an as far as I am concerned.) It is not all hugs and unicorns. If you want to believe that everyone is welcoming the brotherhood of all man and doing what it takes to make the world a better place then you are severely misguided.

Queens NYC 5pm today

No riots but orderly lines...however police were stationed at all the gas stations

SatNov03220340EDT2012.jpg

My comment in this post was unnecessary and inflammatory towards Shadroch. Rather than delete it and hope no one saw it, I figured an apology here was in order.

One thing is for sure....people get crazy during times like these. I am a cop. Just started my tour the other night at 12AM. As we were driving down a block a man...with no shirt on holding a baseball bat ran up to us. He began to yell they are robbing me...they are in my house robbing me! Me and my three friends jumped out of the SUV we were in and ran into the gate of his building that lead into this dark alley way with our guns drawn. He runs up too three people in the dark alley. And yells this is them I want them arrested! It was two males and one female. These three people happened to live in the same condo complex and the guy with the bat knew they did...he knew there names. These people were attempting to take firewood...that was in the common alleyway of this building in bins. The shirtless man claimed that all this firewood was his...claimed that he bought it ALL!!! There was a TON of firewood in this pile. Shirtless man stated that he has a baby and he needs all this firewood. The three people having no power and were cold...went out to grab some firwood to keep warm. The three people called who they claimed was the landlord. And he stated on the phone it was EVERYONES firewood. All these people were suit and tie people. The look in the shirtless mans eyes was CRAZY!!! He was going to bash these people in the heads with his baseball bat if we did not come along....NO DOUBT. You can just see people, regular people...begin to lose it. Hope all the power comes back on SOON!!!! :wishluck:

I finally got power back this morning. Still kind of in a fog here..

Good to hear, you're in Brick also I seem to remember. The wife and I are still without power but are fairing better than some others. We luckily have a gas fireplace and stove. Also have hot water to shower. Things are getting better each day!

If you need anything, gimme a holler. I have a family coming over for dinner tonight, but ain't turning people away. Hot meal makes a difference dude. I also have some extra ice if you need?

I finally got power back this morning. Still kind of in a fog here..

Good to hear, you're in Brick also I seem to remember. The wife and I are still without power but are fairing better than some others. We luckily have a gas fireplace and stove. Also have hot water to shower. Things are getting better each day!

If you need anything, gimme a holler. I have a family coming over for dinner tonight, but ain't turning people away. Hot meal makes a difference dude. I also have some extra ice if you need?

Much appreciated man! (worship)

But as I said we are ok, still can cook on stovetop and can grill outside. We are blessed with great neighbors who have given us so much ice we had to turn some away and give it to others. At work in Lakewood there is power so I can charge anything we need. Thanks for the generous offer!

If you listened to Sean Hannity today, you'd think NYC had imploded.

It isn't surprising that the are trying to play this. Obama has done much of the same too. How could they not with the election the following week?

Let's just hope people in NYC are doing all right and they have power soon!

Edit: Why is "" a spooned word?

Just got power yesterday, Stamford CT got hit hard. Winds were like a train.

We sorta lucked out a big fir tree in front lost two limbs one hit the house and the other flew over the house. Damage to the roof.

A 100 ft tree uprooted and missed the house by 3 ft

2wddhtw.jpg

Hanging in there... comics safe... may need to sell some to take care of some things that went wrong durning the storm

At least we are all ok. (thumbs u

It isn't surprising that the are trying to play this. Obama has done much of the same too. How could they not with the election the following week?

So dooshburgers can't use it to make political comments.

...like you just did.

I am glad so many are checking in I am still looking for relatives in the NJ area any hints as to find out where they may be?

They are elderly and not internet savvy their cell phones go directly to voice mail.

So dooshburgers can't use it to make political comments.

...like you just did.

or alternately, the turd-sandwich backers.

Where in Jersey are they? 95% of the state is fine and got nothing more than a soaking rain and perhaps some wind. If they are not within a few miles of the ocean, chances are they are fine.

My town is by the Hudson River. We didnt get alot of rain. It was the storm surge that destroyed my town. It was like Hurricane Katrina for a few days here. People trapped in houses and the first responders could not get to them. The amount of STUFF that is put out for garbage in my town is UNREAL. Looks like people had to throw away everything. The garbage guys have not been able to make a dent in the stuff put out on the streets its so bad. I had a fema rep knock on my door before. He did not understand how my house did not flood...His response was EVERYONE FLOODED. And looking at my area...I know hes right.

All your posts about this topic always seem the glass is not even half full but FULL and overflowing. :screwy:

Where in Jersey are they? 95% of the state is fine and got nothing more than a soaking rain and perhaps some wind. If they are not within a few miles of the ocean, chances are they are fine.

My town is by the Hudson River. We didnt get alot of rain. It was the storm surge that destroyed my town. It was like Hurricane Katrina for a few days here. People trapped in houses and the first responders could not get to them. The amount of STUFF that is put out for garbage in my town is UNREAL. Looks like people had to throw away everything. The garbage guys have not been able to make a dent in the stuff put out on the streets its so bad. I had a fema rep knock on my door before. He did not understand how my house did not flood...His response was EVERYONE FLOODED. And looking at my area...I know hes right.

All your posts about this topic always seem the glass is not even half full but FULL and overflowing. :screwy:

I agree with you I don't know how he can see with glasses tinted so rosy!

I have relatives in assorted areas of Jersey,NY, and PA my great aunt and uncle in PA had a tree go through their house..that fortunately was sold two weeks ago..they moved into a smaller trailer and it was flooded and they are STILL without power..my younger uncle is in NJ and has not checked in cell phones go to voicemail. I have another great aunt and great uncle living in Jersey who were in a nursing home she has late stage breast cancer and he has pancreatic and testicular cancer I am hoping the nursing home evacuated them and they are hunkered down somewhere safe.

My dad has 7 surviving brothers and all have checked in but one. Googling etc is no good because he shares a name of a celebrity.

People out your way are lucky to have you keeping it safe Bronze Age! Keep yourself safe and thanks for being one of the good guys! I am glad your house did not flood..

But I can't help thinking your job is more dangerous than the hurricane!!

The storm followed the coast. People well inland from the coast are fine. Its not a matter of looking at it with rosey colored glasses, its a matter of looking at the facts. The vast majority of New Jersey, New York State, Long Island and New york City are up and doing fine. Power is back to well more than half the people who lost it, but in NJ only about 15% of the people lost power to begin with.

Here on Long Island, about sixty five percent of people lost power for more than two hours. The majority of them now have power. Power Authority says 90% will be back on line by Tuesday.

What town were you in that people were trapped in their houses for days? Where is it? The storm surge went out with the low tide everywhere I've seen or heard of.

Gas is not an issue for most people in Northern or Central NJ., nor for upstate NY. My cousins went to Albany to ride out the storm Came back yesterday and said there were no gas lines anywhere north of Westchester.

Gas lines today were under thirty minutes, super-markets are open as are most other businesses. Yesterday I wrote about visiting my friends neighborhood in Howard Beach and how bad it was. I neglected to mention that there are two shopping malls within ten miles of him and they are both open. My friend lost his bay front condo but his nite club was open last , not more than five miles away from where he used to live.

People need to realize that NY State is almost 300 miles wide and well over two hundred miles from north to south. That New Jersey is a fairly large state that extends out some seventy five miles west of NYC. This was mostly a coastal storm, unlike Irene which did more damage inland than it did to the coast.

82,000 people went to the Meadowlands for todays Giants game. The Knicks and Nets played before this. Compare that to what happened after Katrina.

Schools reopen tomorrow. Compare that to NO after the storm.

It was a bad devastating storm that ruined many houses and costs a lot of lives,

but for the vast majority of people in the tri-state area, the worst that happened was we lost power and now have gas lines.

Just in after a long afternoon and evening getting gas and supplies for friends in much worse shape than myself.

Went down to old Howard Beach in Queens to help out an old friend who seems to be living the life of Job. His oldest daughter died last year in a car crash and his wife in the final stages of breast cancer, He lives in a split level high ranch far from the bay but his block was hit with an eight foot storm surge. Everything in the basement and on the first level was ruined.

I hadn't given it much thought, but what happened to him happened to his entire neighborhood. Picture the entire contents of houses out at the curb or on the front lawn. Pianos, 60 inch tvs. stereo systems, gaming systems, paintings, books, furniture- all out to be discarded. Every car for blocks around ruined.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Brought him another ice chest and twenty pounds of ice, as well as some food stuffs.

As I entered the neighborhood, I was accosted by two very hard looking men who asked me what my business there was. They didn't want any gawkers, and I passed a sign that gave me a chuckle- Please try to loot us. Our guns and ammo were on the second floor.

Ended up taking him and his neighbor out to get gas for their generators. Two hour wait for a total of eight gallons.

Gassed up my own car in Farmingdale after a forty five minute wait, and then went back with a friends car for another slightly longer wait.

Many more stations were open today, but I saw huge lines of people sitting in cars just now waiting for stations to open. in the morning. I'm hearing things should be much better by Tuesday.

He and his son are coming over tomorrow for the Giants game and some hot showers.

PS- he dropped his flood insurance a couple of years back when his wifes illness prevented her from working.

Very sad, thanks for helping.

The storm followed the coast. People well inland from the coast are fine. Its not a matter of looking at it with rosey colored glasses, its a matter of looking at the facts. The vast majority of New Jersey, New York State, Long Island and New york City are up and doing fine. Power is back to well more than half the people who lost it, but in NJ only about 15% of the people lost power to begin with.

Here on Long Island, about sixty five percent of people lost power for more than two hours. The majority of them now have power. Power Authority says 90% will be back on line by Tuesday.

What town were you in that people were trapped in their houses for days? Where is it? The storm surge went out with the low tide everywhere I've seen or heard of.

Gas is not an issue for most people in Northern or Central NJ., nor for upstate NY. My cousins went to Albany to ride out the storm Came back yesterday and said there were no gas lines anywhere north of Westchester.

Gas lines today were under thirty minutes, super-markets are open as are most other businesses. Yesterday I wrote about visiting my friends neighborhood in Howard Beach and how bad it was. I neglected to mention that there are two shopping malls within ten miles of him and they are both open. My friend lost his bay front condo but his nite club was open last , not more than five miles away from where he used to live.

People need to realize that NY State is almost 300 miles wide and well over two hundred miles from north to south. That New Jersey is a fairly large state that extends out some seventy five miles west of NYC. This was mostly a coastal storm, unlike Irene which did more damage inland than it did to the coast.

82,000 people went to the Meadowlands for todays Giants game. The Knicks and Nets played before this. Compare that to what happened after Katrina.

Schools reopen tomorrow. Compare that to NO after the storm.

It was a bad devastating storm that ruined many houses and costs a lot of lives,

but for the vast majority of people in the tri-state area, the worst that happened was we lost power and now have gas lines.

Hoboken NJ. Took three days for the water to go down. Half the town was trapped in there houses. Search it on Utube captain facts. :screwy: I was driving around during most of the storm....while you might have been asleep in your bed with your rosy glasses thinking about selling comics...or maybe pressing a key book to get a better price for it when you sell it. I was going into my towns old folks home when the power was out at 2AM....and knocking on everyones door to see they might be on oxygen...and if they were, relocated them to shelters with generators to power what they needed to survive. Then having to carry some of them down 10 flights of stairs because they use walkers. I should have those people this is not a big deal.

Just a quick note to point out that it sucked pretty bad here in coastal/N. central Maryland as well.

We were spared a direct hit because the storm didn't ride up the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, but there were still widespread power outages until late in the week; HUGE trees are still down all over the place; sewers backed up and flooded houses in some of the harder hit areas; a power outage in Howard County caused 20-25 million gallons of raw sewage to be dumped into a local river; and parts of S. Ocean City near the inlet and all along the bay side were badly damaged/flooded. Not to mention the top 30-feet or so of a pine tree in my neighbors' backyard which got sheared off by a massive wind gust, and which would have landed smack-dab in my kid's bedroom if the wind had been blowing in the opposite direction.

This was a serious muther-effer of a storm, and a freaking BIG one, too -- and I've seen 'em all starting wAgnes. The greater NYC area and the Jersey Shore aren't quite as used to getting hit this hard the way Florida, S/N Carolina, and the gulf coast are; plus the population is obviously a helluva lot more dense along the NE Coast. So it's no surprise that things are a real mess up there, and my heart and prayers go out to them.

What I don't understand is why more people in the path of this thing weren't better prepared. I mean, it's not like we're all living in Galveston in 1900. "Gee...it looks a little rainy...I better get inside..."

That being said, I know from first-hand experience that there's very little you can do in a coastal community to keep the Atlantic Ocean from swallowing your house during a storm of this magnitude, and that really sucks. And our above ground power grid is a national embarrassment -- yes, I said it!!!!! But for people living even a few miles further inland, it's not like we didn't see this thing coming!

Starting on Friday, 10/26, I filled up no fewer than five, 6-gallon gas cans with fuel for my generator; topped off both of our cars; and laid in at least a weeks' supply of canned food, water, and booze. I moved EVERYTHING in my basement to the first floor; sand-bagged my basement and first-floor doors; re-caulked our glass-block basement windows with masonry sealant; ran discharge lines from the cellar-way to the curb in anticipation of using a small submersible pump to help the sump pump keep water out of the basement; and moved garbage cans, lawn furniture, and other unsecured outdoor items into my shed.

By last Sunday night, the full fury of the storm was still several hundred miles and at least a full day away...and there I was, sitting in my empty basement with my finger in my @ss, a living room jammed to the rafters with all the stuff from our lower level, my 88 year-old mother sleeping on our couch, and a drink in my hand waiting for something bad to happen.

But at that point, at least I knew that I'd done everything in my power to make the best of a potentially very bad situation. All I could do was wait -- hoping for the best, but having planned for the worst.

This time, we got lucky -- unlike during Floyd, Isabelle, Irene, et al. ...

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice (or 3-4 times...), shame on me!!!