• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

Having Disney take over basically complete control of Star Wars from this day forward is just as epic as finding out Vader is Luke's father

SPOILERS!!

lol

I still remember arguing with my Dad over Vader and Luke on our way home from watching ESB on opening day at the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Blvd.

I thought Vader was just trying to trick Luke into joining him by telling him he was his father. It was incomprehensible to my young mind that Luke could have an evil father.

How about finding out that the only guy telling Luke the truth is the villain of the piece and the kindly old hermit turns out to be a manipulative c-sucker?

I remember having the same arguments with friends, refusing to believe that Darth Vader was Luke's father. It had to be a trick.

I have understood for a while that Ben Kenobi simply had a different perspective after he "killed" Obi-Wan in the same way that Darth Vader "killed" Anakin Skywalker.

I enjoy the prequels as we watch Obi-Wan struggle with becoming Ben throughout. From the time he saw Qui-Gon killed until the time he finally left Anakin burning in the volcano, the transformation of Obi-Wan into Ben is an intriguing undercurrent to the prequels.

Even in Episode IV he said "That's a name I haven't heard in a very long time." It also explains what a poor job he was doing of protecting Luke that an astrodroid had to track him down in the desert. He was no longer Obi-Wan.

I thought the last hour of Episode III was outstanding. The other two movies, not so much(though I thought the battle in the arena in EPISODE II was fun).
That's one of my least favorite parts of the prequels. I found the effects in that scene distracting instead of serving the story. I thought the rain effect on Kamino was outstanding and the dramatic turn of the meeting between Obi-Wan/Ben and Jango and little Boba Fett was a poignant touchstone to the original trilogy.

Did anyone else hear that Disney was buying Lucasfilm? (shrug)

Having Disney take over basically complete control of Star Wars from this day forward is just as epic as finding out Vader is Luke's father

SPOILERS!!

lol

I still remember arguing with my Dad over Vader and Luke on our way home from watching ESB on opening day at the Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Blvd.

I thought Vader was just trying to trick Luke into joining him by telling him he was his father. It was incomprehensible to my young mind that Luke could have an evil father.

How about finding out that the only guy telling Luke the truth is the villain of the piece and the kindly old hermit turns out to be a manipulative c-sucker?

I remember having the same arguments with friends, refusing to believe that Darth Vader was Luke's father. It had to be a trick.

I have understood for a while that Ben Kenobi simply had a different perspective after he "killed" Obi-Wan in the same way that Darth Vader "killed" Anakin Skywalker.

I enjoy the prequels as we watch Obi-Wan struggle with becoming Ben throughout. From the time he saw Qui-Gon killed until the time he finally left Anakin burning in the volcano, the transformation of Obi-Wan into Ben is an intriguing undercurrent to the prequels.

Even in Episode IV he said "That's a name I haven't heard in a very long time." It also explains what a poor job he was doing of protecting Luke that an astrodroid had to track him down in the desert. He was no longer Obi-Wan.

Seems like a lot of jumping through hoops to justify Obi-Wan flat out lying ( poor storytelling).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-sequel-facts-and-fiction-what-we-know-for-sure-about-episodes-78-and-9/

Here's a snippet.

Let’s try to focus in on what we know for a fact about the upcoming Star Wars movies. We’ll start with the outer-ring of information, then step-by-step get to the most certain of details, sorting this fact from fiction.

We will begin with people not in the inner circle. The people next door, as it were.

The Wrap have spoken to Dale Pollock, author of an unauthorized George Lucas biography. He has apparently read outlines for twelve Star Wars movies but was obliged to sign an NDA.

Still, he’s doing a little bit of disclosing. He said:

The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.

And that’s what he would of said on the eve of Phantom Menace being released, honest.

Folks our age who insist on 4-6 are really insisting on their childhood, not the cinematic merits of Star Wars.

That's a very eloquent way of saying they've gotten old and crusty. :preach::baiting:

Oh, and extend the fighting sequences with Darth Maul.

Or better yet, edit out the killing of him. Or if they MUST leave in the fast death of the best villain in all of the films, at least don't let him die like a punk. Ray Park deserves far better than to have Obi Wan slowly cut him in half after Park demonstrated split-second reflexes against TWO Jedi simultaneously for the prior ten minutes. :o(tsk)

The rousing 20th Century Fox opening before each film has now transformed into a nice mouse-owned castle.

It will be a bit sad and jarring at first

Yes it will. 20th's intro definitely sets the anticipation to the main theme.

I was thinking this same thing.

FOX changed the opening logo music thanks to John Williams's version of it at the beginning of Star Wars. Star Wars made that spotlight logo what it is. Now it's going to be the CGI flyover of the Cinderella Castle, not quite the same.

What all does this come with, besides the Star Wars and I guess Indiana Jones licenses?

Industrial Light And Magic? THX?

Everything including Skywalker Sound, ILM, LucasArts, the whole enchilada.

Folks our age who insist on 4-6 are really insisting on their childhood, not the cinematic merits of Star Wars.

That's a very eloquent way of saying they've gotten old and crusty. :preach::baiting:

(worship)

It's also another way of describing bitter-clinger fanboy syndrome.

Star Wars: Episode VII Will Be an "Original Story"

LINK

2243194-tumblr_lsnxq5cmsx1qiwlodo1_500_large.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I don't even understand why they wouldn't use the Thrawn Trilogy. It is perfect! It has the same flow as the original series and it felt like a likely progression of the characters.

Was a young adult when the Eps4-6 trilogy came out and loved them all. One of the great experiences of fatherhood was taking my 6 year old son to see the original Star Wars re-release - he was enthralled, and to 'see' it again through his eyes was awesome.

Episode I was an abomination on a variety of fronts. Among others, to take the mystical and mysterious 'power of the force' (one of the best concepts in the history of cinema) and reduce it to a quantifiable biochemical mechanism was an atrocious mistake.

For me, episode 3 brought it back home again.

What I will say in defense of the new movies: Taking my 8 year old daughter to see Phantom Menace in 3d was a similar experience. We've watched it a million times at home too, but she still loved it in the big theater.

I can't wait for new movies now for a similar reason. My son should be old enough by then too (he is almost a year old).

My questions revolve around how they are going to fit 7-9 into a continuity that is pretty well ensconced. A few months after Endor you have the Truce at Bakura. Then not long after that, maybe two years to get Courtship of Princess Leia and then Thrawn shows up. The stories have been pretty well fleshed out and backstory laid down as to what happened in the time between Thrawn and Endor. Hell it's on only a 5 year stretch.

Be interesting to see how it happens and what it is about.

The beautiful thing is that, with some exceptions here and there, the continuity between the movies and books is very well done.

My questions revolve around how they are going to fit 7-9 into a continuity that is pretty well ensconced. A few months after Endor you have the Truce at Bakura. Then not long after that, maybe two years to get Courtship of Princess Leia and then Thrawn shows up. The stories have been pretty well fleshed out and backstory laid down as to what happened in the time between Thrawn and Endor. Hell it's on only a 5 year stretch.

The beautiful thing is that, with some exceptions here and there, the continuity between the movies and books is very well done.

I grok Spock.

(worship)

I've looked, but I can't find an eloquent way of saying head in arse syndrome hm

(worship)

I've looked, but I can't find an eloquent way of saying head in arse syndrome hm

Dinner at Casey's?

Zahn made it clear in his book that his universe was all speculation and that the movie entity was entirely its own. If you read the 20th anniversary copy he goes on a big tangent about that. Heck, the new trilogy contradicted some of his terminology.

So keeping that in mind, they could do whatever they wanted.