• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

According to story in Bleeding Cool, Lucas still retains the rights to all the existing movies and so will continue to control what gets released with Fox.

Link

Excellent point...this is why the sale wasn't for more than four billion. If he also kept the rights to the other films, particularly the Indiana Jones films, then Disney didn't get the most valuable properties Lucas owns. Four billion sounds about right for the best CGI company in the business and future story rights on Star Wars and Indiana Jones (assuming Disney got both). Since Disney didn't announce a new Indiana Jones film and since Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford have already said they want to do a new one and that the screenplay has been in development over the last year, I'm now wondering if the arrangement for that series is a bit different and Lucas retained more rights to it. I'm hoping not, because the ENTIRE reason they haven't been making Indiana Jones films for the last twenty years is because Lucas is an pigheaded that Spielberg and Ford didn't want to work with...they finally relented in 2007 and made the stinker that Lucas had insisted on for over fifteen years, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'm hoping now they don't have to deal with his ego at all on the next one.

This move gives me new respect for Lucas. It's fine if he doesn't want to write or direct any more films, but preventing others from doing it was selfish given the tremendous global excitement surrounding the universe and characters. Good to see him opening up.

Lucas is selling before capital gains taxes go up next year. Even if some political compromise is reached and the rate increase does not go into effect, there will be the introduction of the 3.8% surtax on unearned income, including capital gains. By selling now, Lucas ensures he will be paying the lowest capital gains tax rate he will likely see the rest of his life, at a time when asset values are at 4-year highs as well. He can also use option strategies to either hedge his new Disney stock or write options against that position and earn a boatload of income. Seems like pretty shrewd timing on his part.

This move gives me new respect for Lucas. It's fine if he doesn't want to write or direct any more films, but preventing others from doing it was selfish given the tremendous global excitement surrounding the universe and characters. Good to see him opening up.

Thowing billions of dollars at someone probably has a way of changing their minds. Expanding the Star Wars universe in the Marvel way (presumably) will definitely be interesting.

Lucas is selling before capital gains taxes go up next year. Even if some political compromise is reached and the rate increase does not go into effect, there will be the introduction of the 3.8% surtax on unearned income, including capital gains. By selling now, Lucas ensures he will be paying the lowest capital gains tax rate he will likely see the rest of his life, at a time when asset values are at 4-year highs as well. He can also use option strategies to either hedge his new Disney stock or write options against that position and earn a boatload of income. Seems like pretty shrewd timing on his part.

I don't second guess the wisdom of his deal for a moment. The man's an outstanding businessman & can afford the finest advice.

I think he selected Disney for sorta sentimental reasons as well. I believe he recognizes that the Disney brand's the best steward for his own. That Disney is the best for Star Wars' financial & artistic futures.

Since Disney didn't announce a new Indiana Jones film and since Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford have already said they want to do a new one and that the screenplay has been in development over the last year, I'm now wondering if the arrangement for that series is a bit different and Lucas retained more rights to it.

Apparently Disney did get full rights to new Indiana Jones films, but due to a legal dispute with the distributor of those films, Paramount Pictures, they haven't decided yet what to do with them. Huge bummer there given that the next film has already been in the works.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=26538&count=0

Also of note in this article is that the details about Episode 7 and beyond were obtained as a part of the deal, meaning that Lucas or people working for him had already mapped out future episodes. Given that Lucas has adamantly denied having done this or having any plans to do it, I wonder when they were developed and who did it? hm

According to story in Bleeding Cool, Lucas still retains the rights to all the existing movies and so will continue to control what gets released with Fox.

Link

Excellent point...this is why the sale wasn't for more than four billion. If he also kept the rights to the other films, particularly the Indiana Jones films, then Disney didn't get the most valuable properties Lucas owns. Four billion sounds about right for the best CGI company in the business and future story rights on Star Wars and Indiana Jones (assuming Disney got both). Since Disney didn't announce a new Indiana Jones film and since Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford have already said they want to do a new one and that the screenplay has been in development over the last year, I'm now wondering if the arrangement for that series is a bit different and Lucas retained more rights to it. I'm hoping not, because the ENTIRE reason they haven't been making Indiana Jones films for the last twenty years is because Lucas is an pigheaded that Spielberg and Ford didn't want to work with...they finally relented in 2007 and made the stinker that Lucas had insisted on for over fifteen years, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'm hoping now they don't have to deal with his ego at all on the next one.

I read in the press release Disney got everything including Indiana Jones. The only thing that wasn't included was the physical properties like Skywalker ranch.

I read in the press release Disney got everything including Indiana Jones. The only thing that wasn't included was the physical properties like Skywalker ranch.

I hadn't read it, but I just did and can't find language in it that specifically says they own the rights to the existing films. Prodigy's link to Bleeding Cool claims Lucas retained those rights, but I dunno. (shrug)

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

I don't know if anyone has started speculating about this yet but last year Disney announced that they were going to do an Avatar Land theme park. Earlier in September this year they postponed/canceled it due to creative differences with James Cameron and the Disney Imagineers. Any idea if they just scrap Avatar Land and knock out Star Wars Land?

OMG thank god Avatar land is postponed and hopefully just cancelled off building blocks.

Star Wars land makes total sense over Avatar. One movie should not deem a theme park.

Avatar besides the special effects has a story-line that is just one notch above a Sunday afternoon SyFY movie.

From the press release posted on Aintitcool.

In this transaction we will acquire rights to the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, a highly talented and expert team, Lucasfilm's best-in-class post production businesses, Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound, and a suite of cutting edge entertainment technologies. Our valuation focused almost entirely on the financial potential of the Star Wars franchise, which we expect to provide us with a stream of storytelling opportunities for years to come delivered via all relevant platforms on a global basis.

Honestly at his age and how much money he already has I seriously doubt he really cares about his tax bracket. Even if they taxed him 50% on capital gains he has more money in his bank than the empire.

Honestly at his age and how much money he already has I seriously doubt he really cares about his tax bracket. Even if they taxed him 50% on capital gains he has more money in his bank than the empire.

If he was a lotto winner perhaps, but billionaires aren't made by accident. They certainly don't get there by not minimizing and avoiding whatever taxes and liabilities they possibly could. Given the change in laws we are talking about 9 figures in taxes in variance.

That's enough to make a master of the universe take notice.

I sense a disturbance in the force.....

as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

I sense much fear in you.

From the press release posted on Aintitcool.

In this transaction we will acquire rights to the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, a highly talented and expert team, Lucasfilm's best-in-class post production businesses, Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound, and a suite of cutting edge entertainment technologies. Our valuation focused almost entirely on the financial potential of the Star Wars franchise, which we expect to provide us with a stream of storytelling opportunities for years to come delivered via all relevant platforms on a global basis.

Yea I read aintitcool first yesterday. Nothing in the language of that statement precludes the possibility that Lucas still owns the rights to the existing films--it just says "we will acquire rights," not explicitly that they acquired "all" or "full" rights to all of Lucas's intellectual property. If he did retain some rights, the statement above is still accurate, but like I said, I don't know yet other than what Bleeding Cool is reporting. (shrug)

as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I'd rather kiss a wookiee.

If he was a lotto winner perhaps, but billionaires aren't made by accident. They certainly don't get there by not minimizing and avoiding whatever taxes and liabilities they possibly could. Given the change in laws we are talking about 9 figures in taxes in variance.

At 68 years old after all ready being a multi-millionaire (beyond)) I seriously doubt any of us would really give a spoon at about capital gains from 4 Billion.

Even before the deal his children's great great great grand kids do not have to work.

Me thinks even if they taxed him 3 Billion of it then still still plenty of money left over that one person can not spend in his/her lifetime.

Were not talking here about a house left to any of us by our parents and we are middle-income here. We are talking about a person who was rich (in the 1%) before the sale.

If the government stormed skywalker ranch and made Lucas sell to Disney and Lucas got nothing I still wouldn't feel bad what so ever. :baiting:

I'd rather kiss a wookiee.

I can arrange that!

At 68 years old after all ready being a multi-millionaire (beyond)) I seriously doubt any of us would really give a spoon at about capital gains from 4 Billion.

Even before the deal his children's great great great grand kids do not have to work.

Me thinks even if they taxed him 3 Billion of it then still still plenty of money left over that one person can not spend in his/her lifetime.

Were not talking here about a house left to any of us by our parents and we are middle-income here. We are talking about a person who was rich (in the 1%) before the sale.

If the government stormed skywalker ranch and made Lucas sell to Disney and Lucas got nothing I still wouldn't feel bad what so ever. :baiting:

Just because he can't spend it before dying doesn't mean he wants top pay it as taxes.