• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

Well, with people paying $20 a head to watch George Lucas poop all over the Star Wars franchise, I imagine they'll have that $4 billion made back right after they release Star Wars: The Ultimate Limited Edition High Definition Blu Ray 3D Directors Bathroom Cut Boxed Set in time for Christmas.

Actually, they'll get back 20% of it easy just by selling us old farts the "original" trilogy on blu-ray---not the re-do versions.

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Wow. What a juggernaut Disney has become.

Yes they are.

Kinda happy and worried at the same time.

Happy if they make new movies sad if they make more toys and cartoons. :juggle:

Seriously though I am not sure in any situation where a conglomerate is ever good for a free market.

To be fair, they're selling very optional entertainment, not like fuel or weapons or wheat....yet....

Well, with people paying $20 a head to watch George Lucas poop all over the Star Wars franchise, I imagine they'll have that $4 billion made back right after they release Star Wars: The Ultimate Limited Edition High Definition Blu Ray 3D Directors Bathroom Cut Boxed Set in time for Christmas.

Actually, they'll get back 20% of it easy just by selling us old farts the "original" trilogy on blu-ray---not the re-do versions.

HAN SHOT FIRST!

I have those ripped from old Laserdiscs - I didn't realize they put them out on blu rays.

$4 billion seems pretty cheap. I haven't read an official story yet but my guess is that George has probably kept licensing rights because that's where his bread and butter is.

There's no way that $4 billion includes full licensing rights.

Wow. What a juggernaut Disney has become.

Yes they are.

Kinda happy and worried at the same time.

Happy if they make new movies sad if they make more toys and cartoons. :juggle:

Seriously though I am not sure in any situation where a conglomerate is ever good for a free market.

To be fair, they're selling very optional entertainment, not like fuel or weapons or wheat....yet....

Give them time.

I am just saying in general corporations are becoming tougher and tougher for a small business to fight against.

One world everything which Walmart started.

Just saying in general....

My first thought: I hope they release the originals without all that extra .

My second thought: They'll ruin Star Wars even more than Lucas did.

It's ruined anyway. Time for a reality check. It's like seeing Halloween 8 and wondering why the plot's the same.

HAN SHOT FIRST!

I have those ripped from old Laserdiscs - I didn't realize they put them out on blu rays.

They haven't. That's why they'll make a killing once they do.

However I must say Disney already stating they are Star Wars Episode 7 for Summer 2015 is just awesome.

If George Lucas isn't involved this just might be a good thing.

Cause even though they say Lucas will be kept as an consultant aka he has no say. (thumbs u

I always felt Star Wars is bigger than just having a couple movies and there are so many cool stories post Return of the Jedi that it is only a matter of time before someone will basically over step Lucas. Thank you Disney!

However I must say Disney already stating they are Star Wars Episode 7 for Summer 2015 is just awesome.

I always felt Star Wars is bigger than just having a couple movies and there are so many cool stories post Return of the Jedi that it is only a matter of time before someone will basically over step Lucas. Thank you Disney!

They will pull all the angles I'm guessing---much less constraint than Lucas. You want post Jedi stories? got it. Want new storyline in same universe? got it. Want original theatrical releases? got it. anything that will make money.

Agreed.

Star Wars needs a reboot like Star Trek in 2009

But I think they need to make a entirely new cast of characters instead of trying to re-cast the ones in IV V VI 2c