• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

Don't forget about the Muppets!

but really.

Disney also owns ABC News, ESPN, a slew of resorts all over the planet, consumer products for tens of thousands of characters - then add all the characters from marvel and star wars, around 100 radio stations, dozens and dozens of tv channels.

gahhh.

A disney sphere of influence is what their slogan should be called.

To the folks that think $4B is light for the purchase of Lucasfilm, why?

Didn't the Marvel purchase cost Disney approximately $4B? Did anyone think that was light?

Also, doesn't Disney own the Muppets too?

They paid 7.4 billion for Pixar. Almost twice the cost of Star Wars.

Didn't the Marvel purchase cost Disney approximately $4B? Did anyone think that was light?

They paid 7.4 billion for Pixar. Almost twice the cost of Star Wars.

That's amazing isn't it.

Disney earned almost $9 billion on revenue of almost $41 billion in 2011.

I see more acquisitions in its future.

My first thought: I hope they release the originals without all that extra .

My second thought: They'll ruin Star Wars even more than Lucas did.

Other than John Carter, I can't think of any property that Disney has not done a great job with.

And that failure was marketing, not film making.

Agreed, the marketing VP was being hung out to dry when the film was released. It was amazing that they played politics with a $250 million dollar film. But that is exactly what happened.

Marvel's purchase by Disney for $4b will go down as the steal of the century.

Purchasing Lucasfilm, it's library, the studios and the technology (along with the subsidiary corporations) for $4b seems discounted pretty severely. In a world where business valuations are determined as multiples of potential income, this amount could be recouped within 5 years if merchandising is included.

Lucasfilm and their marketing arm has been so wildly successful that, in 1995 prior to the release of the new toy line and the re-release of the films into theaters, was able to negotiate a licensing fee with Hasbro that gave a new majority stake in the company to Lucas.

The patents that Lucasfilm, Skywalker Sound, and ILM hold are the building blocks of most major motion pictures today. This is a copyright library, a technology store house, and a laboratory for technology in film that may not have a peer.

So, yes, $4b is light for a company that still can generate billions in revenue.

This is as undervalued as Facebook is overvalued.

Purchasing Lucasfilm, it's library, the studios and the technology (along with the subsidiary corporations) for $4b seems discounted pretty severely. In a world where business valuations are determined as multiples of potential income, this amount could be recouped within 5 years if merchandising is included.

Lucasfilm and their marketing arm has been so wildly successful that, in 1995 prior to the release of the new toy line and the re-release of the films into theaters, was able to negotiate a licensing fee with Hasbro that gave a new majority stake in the company to Lucas.

The patents that Lucasfilm, Skywalker Sound, and ILM hold are the building blocks of most major motion pictures today. This is a copyright library, a technology store house, and a laboratory for technology in film that may not have a peer.

So, yes, $4b is light for a company that still can generate billions in revenue.

I agree 100%

Star Wars and everything they got with it was a steal at this price.

I can't imagine how they came up with this number.

Maybe there's a clause that Lucas gets to remain in charge of everything as he was before.

I agree 100%

Star Wars and everything they got with it was a steal at this price.

I can't imagine how they came up with this number.

Maybe there's a clause that Lucas gets to remain in charge of everything as he was before.

yah a lot of times this stuff happens but there's a lot of incentives built-in that cannot CURRENTLY be quantified in cash, thats given to ex shareholders, employees, or bosses of the old company.

I wonder if they would ever make a pitch for DC?

Don't even utter such a thing. The last thing we need is that hokey DC garbage crossing over into the Marvel universe.

+1

This was a very smart, strategic move, and seems to have been done at a discount.

I can't imagine trying to value the long term benefits of this acquisition, financial or otherwise.

Don't even utter such a thing. The last thing we need is that hokey DC garbage crossing over into the Marvel universe.

:)

Bats and Spidey would make a great crime fighting series.

:)

Bats and Spidey would make a great crime fighting series.

suicide.gif