• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

The Walt Disney Company today announced that it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction valued at $4.05 billion, with Disney paying "approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing." Press release announcing the deal here. Here's a list of all the media Disney already owns: ABC; Pixar; Marvel; as well as Hollywood, Mammoth and Buena Vista Records, just for a start.

The Boingboing link.

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/30/disney-acquires-lucasfilm.html

Perhaps they could also expand the presence in the Disney parks. I, for one, would like to see a more expansive land than just Star Tours, an AT-AT, and the Ewok Village. I was there in June, wondering what the plans were for their Hollywood Studios Park (where Star Tours AND the Indiana Jones stunt shows are). . . maybe this is it?

Also, they are also doing some work with the Avatar film by adding that "world" to the Animal Kingdom park. There's was much to do about them not getting Harry Potter, and then they get Star Wars almost exclusively.

Think of all the possibilities of mash-ups:

Marvel vs Star Wars fighting game.

Thanos vs Darth Vader for the universe :headbang:

Deadpool-Boba Fett team-up mini series

Wolverine vs Darth Maul

Jedi Knights training with the X-Men in the Danger Room :cloud9:

Stormtroopers vs Hydra soldiers

Kingdon Hearts 3 with Disney/Marvel/Star Wars characters :cloud9:

The possibilities are endless :whee:

It's a Trap! Lucas is just being his usual Emperor Palpatine self, leading poor little naive Anakin (Disney) into to sweet jar of honey that is the Darkside.

Emperor Lucas has no intention of letting go of his empire. He just really likes Spider-Man and wanted to own Marvel (and wanted to make Stan Lee his person_without_enough_empathy).

It's a Trap! Disney don't fall for it.

On a serious note...good for Lucas. He's getting paid for his little baby and we the fans will get more product. We will have to wait to see how it turns out but I won't judge until I read that Nick Cage is the lead Jedi and Michael Bay is set to direct. (And someone thought it would be cool if Morgan Freeman is the voice of Vader)

Seacrest out!

Chuck

Wow huge news! I'd love a theatrical release before the holidays.

3 words: Grand Admiral Thrawn.

This. This. And much more this. Zahn's trilogy should be the next set of movies.

I feel like this would also save them a lot of money. They have the plot down- now they just need someone to create a screen play. The books are phenomenal and Zahn really made you feel the characters too.

Wolverine vs Darth Maul

Does this deal affect the comics though? I thought Dark Horse owned the rights to using the Star Wars universe in their books...As others have mentioned, why would they let those rights go? That is a huge portion of their books published each week/month.

Wolverine vs Darth Maul

Does this deal affect the comics though? I thought Dark Horse owned the rights to using the Star Wars universe in their books...As others have mentioned, why would they let those rights go? That is a huge portion of their books published each week/month.

Good question.

Dark Horse Comics Reacts to Disney's "Star Wars" Purchase

"Dark Horse and LucasFilm have a strong partnership which spans over 20 years, and has produced multiple characters and story lines which are now part of the Star Wars lore," Richardson said. "'Star Wars' will be with us for the near future. Obviously, this deal changes the landscape, so we'll all have to see what it means for the future."

But for now, "Star Wars" stays at Dark Horse -- which means fans can still look forward to Brian Wood's "Star Wars" ongoing in January 2013.

Wolverine vs Darth Maul

Good question.

"Dark Horse and LucasFilm have a strong partnership which spans over 20 years, and has produced multiple characters and story lines which are now part of the Star Wars lore," Richardson said. "'Star Wars' will be with us for the near future. Obviously, this deal changes the landscape, so we'll all have to see what it means for the future."

But for now, "Star Wars" stays at Dark Horse -- which means fans can still look forward to Brian Wood's "Star Wars" ongoing in January 2013.

Brian Wood has a Star Wars ongoing in January? That sounds promising.

I wonder when there contract ends... I have to imagine Disney will give it right back to Marvel. I wonder if this means we could see a Dark Horse buy out in the future too though...

Thanks for the quick response.

Wolverine vs Darth Maul

Good question.

Brian Wood has a Star Wars ongoing in January? That sounds promising.

I wonder when there contract ends... I have to imagine Disney will give it right back to Marvel. I wonder if this means we could see a Dark Horse buy out in the future too though...

Thanks for the quick response.

That would be my guess too hm

Link

"The new Disney deal with Lucasfilm doesn’t include the distribution rights to the pre-existing Star Wars films, all of which will remain with Fox. I assume that includes the Star Wars Holiday Special. In fact, Lucas’ deal with Fox doesn’t look to change in any way, so don’t go getting your hopes up for pristine Blu-ray editions of the original trilogy in their original versions – it’s really not likely to happen at all. The Lucas-Fox pact will have Han shooting second at least until… well, at least until somebody other than George Lucas is making the big decisions. Not to get morbid, but I remember what it took for Stanley Kubrick‘s Clockwork Orange to get “unbanned” in the UK, and that was Kubrick passing away.

Distribution rights to the upcoming films will sit entirely with Disney. This means that any future complete edition boxset will require some kind of deal making by both studios, though that “full set” concept seems to have lost a lot of currency tonight with the promise of new Star Wars every couple-few years for generations to come."