• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Did SW #1 come out before or after the movie?

Star Wars #1 was definitely on the stands before the movie. Star Wars #2 could have been on the stands as well.

So....would that make it the first appearance of Luke and the gang? hm

No it would not.

It is still only a late bronze age comic book adaptation of a movie.

-J.

J, is this another one you missed the boat on ? :baiting:

lol Nope! :acclaim:

Common books do not organically "double in price" in two weeks for no reason usually either. :whistle:

Oy vay, don't get me started. :facepalm:

-J.

lol Too easy :banana:

Star Wars #1 was definitely on the stands before the movie. Star Wars #2 could have been on the stands as well.

No it would not.

-J.

Common books do not organically "double in price" in two weeks for no reason usually either. :whistle:

-J.

I am not sure about "no reason". Marvel just released 1 million copies of Star Wars #1 into the market in January. If .1% (1,000 issues) of those found new readers now interested in the initial series, it would cause a dramatic uptick in the market for the initial Star Wars #1 almost instantly.

So you mean this time will be different ? :banana:

(I kid, I kid. Sort of)

-J.

No it would not.

-J.

-J.

lol Too easy :banana:

:tonofbricks::roflmao:

-J.

No it would not.

-J.

-J.

I am not sure about "no reason". Marvel just released 1 million copies of Star Wars #1 into the market in January. If .1% (1,000 issues) of those found new readers now interested in the initial series, it would cause a dramatic uptick in the market for the initial Star Wars #1 almost instantly.

(I kid, I kid. Sort of)

-J.

I took your initial comment to mean you could not find a reason for the sudden spike. I think the reasons are actually pretty obvious (release of new movie trailer, release of new Star Wars comic series by marvel, etc).

However, I think what you are really saying is you doubt this spike will sustain itself and it is just a "bubble" that will eventually burst as supply will quickly outstrip demand given this "common book".

I think that is a completely understandable point of view! Time will tell.

As a side note, I personally could care less about the money side of this over time.

I collect Star Wars because it was the first movie I remember as a kid sitting through and being blown away at the movie theater. It stuck with me and I waited for each movie to come out after with great anticipation. I sat, dumbfounded, at the end of empire strikes back because I never sat in a movie before that so clearly left so much "unanswered". I could not believe I would have to wait months and months to finish the story.

It brings back some great memories. They could be worth zero to everyone else in 10 years and would still be worth a lot to me just for those memories alone!

No it would not.

-J.

-J.

(I kid, I kid. Sort of)

-J.

I took your initial comment to mean you could not find a reason for the sudden spike. I think the reasons are actually pretty obvious (release of new movie trailer, release of new Star Wars comic series by marvel, etc).

However, I think what you are really saying is you doubt this spike will sustain itself and it is just a "bubble" that will eventually burst as supply will quickly outstrip demand given this "common book".

I think that is a completely understandable point of view! Time will tell.

As a side note, I personally could care less about the money side of this over time.

I collect Star Wars because it was the first movie I remember as a kid sitting through and being blown away at the movie theater. It stuck with me and I waited for each movie to come out after with great anticipation. I sat, dumbfounded, at the end of empire strikes back because I never sat in a movie before that so clearly left so much "unanswered". I could not believe I would have to wait months and months to finish the story.

It brings back some great memories. They could be worth zero to everyone else in 10 years and would still be worth a lot to me just for those memories alone!

I respect and appreciate your passion for the franchise, vint. With apologies, as my ever-so-slightly sarcastic quip was a bit on the in-jokey side. :kidaround:

-J.

As a longtime Star Wars fan and collector of the vintage Star Wars toy line 1977-1985, I would definitely argue that Star Wars #1 could be deemed the first appearance of Luke.

1- The comic book debuted before the movie

2 - Take a look at the cover of SW#1, there's important details from info hadn't been passed down yet, resulting in red lightsabers for Luke and Ben.

The release of the Star Wars world went down like this (not including the original novel, that's a different beast altogether).

1- The comic book was released

2- The movie was released

3- The incredibly popular (and most profitable part of SW) toy line was released (the first four figures being pre-sold via the early bird certificate).

This all makes me feel strongly that SW#1 should be viewed as the First Luke.

As a longtime Star Wars fan and collector of the vintage Star Wars toy line 1977-1985, I would definitely argue that Star Wars #1 could be deemed the first appearance of Luke.

2 - Take a look at the cover of SW#1, there's important details from info hadn't been passed down yet, resulting in red lightsabers for Luke and Ben.

The release of the Star Wars world went down like this (not including the original novel, that's a different beast altogether).

3- The incredibly popular (and most profitable part of SW) toy line was released (the first four figures being pre-sold via the early bird certificate).

As mentioned (just to keep it clear), the book was released before the comic:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_From_the_Adventures_of_Luke_Skywalker

In my previous post, I mentioned that I wasn't including the novel. The novel just doesn't carry the same weight as the comics or the toys. The number of people who collect the comics/toys vs the novel is extremely disproportionate.

Plus, this is a comic book forum....so speaking in terms of comics, this is Luke's first appearance.

In my previous post, I mentioned that I wasn't including the novel. The novel just doesn't carry the same weight as the comics or the toys. The number of people who collect the comics/toys vs the novel is extremely disproportionate.

Plus, this is a comic book forum....so speaking in terms of comics, this is Luke's first appearance.

This is an ADAPTATION. It is not original comic book material.

Let's not try so hard to make it into something more than it is

-J.

-J.

Ok so by that same logic I could ask why Batman Adventures #12 is known as the First Harley Quinn, when in fact she first appeared in the animated series a year before.

Not trying to be a butthead here.....just so many times things are viewed differently, and then change later (in general consensus).

-J.

Ok so by that same logic I could ask why Batman Adventures #12 is known as the First Harley Quinn, when in fact she first appeared in the animated series a year before.

Not trying to be a butthead here.....just so many times things are viewed differently, and then change later (in general consensus).

(thumbs u I actually wonder the same thing about that one as well. lol

-J.

-J.

(thumbs u I actually wonder the same thing about that one as well. lol

-J.

Hahahaha! .....so you see where I'm coming from then :)

With the popularity of Star Wars, it could end up like a Harley/BA#12 situation.

The novel was released first. Luke Skywalker is on the cover.

A poster showing the Chaykin art from Star Wars #1 was given away at the San Diego Comic Con the summer of 1976! Not sure if that pre-dates the novel or not, but it definitely is before the comic book.

Star Wars #1 is the first Luke Skywalker in comics. But definitely not the first glimpse of Luke Skywalker.

When did the first trailer come out?