• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

It's partly the tactics.

Mitigating resistance by quietly changing the notion that pressing wasn't restoration.

Which Overstreet changes ever went out with a memo, trumpets and a march?

lol

I genuinely think it was just a separation of cleaning and pressing that mitigated the change

a) because pressing was not intrusive or on the same level as the other procedures

b) because it's been going on since paper was invented to some degree or another

I really like October's point about dry cleaning. It's about as effective and intrusive as pressing but I doubt anyone has had an argument about it.

And like in all things that people argue about, if it wasn't about the $ involved it would have been left alone never to be mentioned again.

In the case of dry cleaning it has been left alone because it does not really increase the grade and therefore the $$ amount much if at all.

For instance PMG (owned by the Certified Collectibles Group) will NOT grade a piece of paper money higher than a '65' that does NOT have 'EPQ.' PCGS Currency on the other hand, will. Personally, I prefer PMG's approach as it ensures that those who engage in such a practice can only be rewarded to a certain degree; should they wish to use their grading services.

Every dog has its day.

It's partly the tactics.

Mitigating resistance by quietly changing the notion that pressing wasn't restoration.

Bad comparison, and an impossible act to follow because almost overnight CGC came out marketing itself as "The Grading Authority", practicing impartiality, and endorsing a "Universal" grade.

With that much touting, you'd think they were running the hobby!

For instance PMG (owned by the Certified Collectibles Group) will NOT grade a piece of paper money higher than a '65' that does NOT have 'EPQ.' PCGS Currency on the other hand, will. Personally, I prefer PMG's approach as it ensures that those who engage in such a practice can only be rewarded to a certain degree; should they wish to use their grading services.

Every dog has its day.

Ironically it should be '64' not '65.' I just corrected it. lol!

It's partly the tactics.

lol

But it wasn't Overstreet who changed it?

And CGC stated that they were broadly following Overstreet guidelines, sooooooo....

All in one, remove resto, press and grade...problem is there gonna be pressure to pass a close Restored vs non restored classification on a IN HOUSE transaction.

I have not read this whole thread so I am not sure if this question has been asked but do you think Cgc is now going to include the word "Pressed" on the Cgc label if the book has been pressed since they are going to know which books have and have not been pressed?

And the money doesn't matter to me...the deception does, as does the fact that books that were previously high grade by the grace of the gods are now high grade by the grace of the waffle machine.

Sorta takes the fun out of it for me.

This.

Amen.

I have nothing against any professional treatment, proactively disclosed. They all serve a purpose and the skills involved are amazing.

The game, however, is an insult to basic 'common sense'. A system that concerns itself with nano-ridges and paper-curls on one hand, but then exempts completely disassembling, refurbishing, and reassembling seems INSANE.

All in one, remove resto, press and grade...problem is there gonna be pressure to pass a close Restored vs non restored classification on a IN HOUSE transaction.

But wouldn't that present a conflict of interest between the restorers and graders? (shrug)

But wouldn't that present a conflict of interest between the restorers and graders? (shrug)

Maybe if the Chinese Wall falls in a way where CGC realizes from the debris a certain individual's moral/ethical compass needs to be rewound.

I have not read this whole thread so I am not sure if this question has been asked but do you think Cgc is now going to include the word "Pressed" on the Cgc label if the book has been pressed since they are going to know which books have and have not been pressed?

Yes, I would assume so since they would have the best interest of the collector in mind and I'm sure we'd all want to know if CGC did something like that to the book before we bought it. (thumbs u

People press to get a higher CGC grade. Pressing results in higher CGC grades because pressing improves the look of a book.

The whole thread (and every other pressing thread, so far as I can tell) is about pressing to get a higher grade and, therefore, a higher sale price. But ... this is looking at pressing strictly from the seller's point of view. As a buyer who doesn't sell, something that improves the look of the books in my collection is appealing.

It's partly the tactics.

lol

And CGC stated that they were broadly following Overstreet guidelines, sooooooo....

I'm too tired to keep doing this.

:tonofbricks:

Even so, I think most of us can agree on this: many people don't consider it restoration for the reason that it is a benign procedure that simply mimics what can very possibly (and often likely) be a natural occurrence.

That might be the case now - at least in our little CPR flipping community - but I can guarantee that that was not the case back in 2000 with the general collecting populace.

Actually, the generally collecting populace had no idea what pressing was, and for the most part, they still don't know what it is. Most who do know don't care.

Most books I knew about back in the day that had been "cleaned and pressed" were not dry cleaned, but actually chemically washed and pressed back to dryness. And that is alot of the stigma that was initially associated with pressing.

This goes back to CaptainOfIndustry's saying that hobbies are much more enjoyable when the collector is uninformed.

Even so, I think most of us can agree on this: many people don't consider it restoration for the reason that it is a benign procedure that simply mimics what can very possibly (and often likely) be a natural occurrence.

That might be the case now - at least in our little CPR flipping community - but I can guarantee that that was not the case back in 2000 with the general collecting populace.

Actually, the generally collecting populace had no idea what pressing was, and for the most part, they still don't know what it is. Most who do know don't care.

Most books I knew about back in the day that had been "cleaned and pressed" were not dry cleaned, but actually chemically washed and pressed back to dryness. And that is alot of the stigma that was initially associated with pressing.

This goes back to CaptainOfIndustry's saying that hobbies are much more enjoyable when the collector is uninformed.

How about "hobbies are much more enjoyable when money is not a factor."

How about "hobbies are much more enjoyable when money is not a factor."

How much is that FF #50 CGC 9.4 you have listed on your site, again?

Seemed like a good time to ask?

Edited by mintcollector

Yes, I would assume so since they would have the best interest of the collector in mind and I'm sure we'd all want to know if CGC did something like that to the book before we bought it. (thumbs u

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Good luck with that. :wishluck:

It's partly the tactics.

lol

I'm too tired to keep doing this.

:tonofbricks:

A good arse-kicking can do that. :/