• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

I'm not entirely sure that 'To add this, a book is even pressed when it's published' is a great argument, considering that a book is also trimmed when it's published. :/

And I've never said that pressing was akin to selling your grandmother into prostitution. I've maintain that it's the most benign form of restoration...but remains in my mind restoration.

And as of 2000, it was classified as restoration, no matter how benign it might be seen as now.

Therefore an announcement would have been appropriate.

And the money doesn't matter to me...the deception does, as does the fact that books that were previously high grade by the grace of the gods are now high grade by the grace of the waffle machine.

Sorta takes the fun out of it for me.

:hi: Nick, you know I hate the, well nobody cares argument and have written many times about it as it leads to the lowest common denominator, do whatever you can to the books as long as you get that blue label.

And really that is what is happening, but something else is occurring as well. The census numbers are swelling, HG collectors are finishing their runs. HG collectors are also dumping their runs - I mean Doug Schmell sold his collection, and you know what, he wasn't 85, or in ill health, or being audited by the Fed. (though I'd love to be on that forensic audit team I can tell you for free). He made a utilitarian choice, that being he felt the market had crested, or that it wasn't going to continue to rise exponentially that holding made any more sense.

How long is Brulato going to hold out? Personally every day he waits he loses money IMO. Maybe he really loves the books, but that 7 figure number going down has got to get his attention because I'm pretty sure he loves money too.

The PRICES ARE COMING DOWN. Its not a crash, but over the entirety of the market the law of supply and demand, bolstered by more HG books over extending their potential is impacting the marketplace. You know I have bought more HG slabs this year than ever before and I think the decline will just cause that to occur to a more prolific extent.

When you think about it, the Boomers are not buying, there are more HG books that ever, the aforementioned BSDs are pretty much done with their 9.8 / 9.6 runs - the competition at the upper end is not as strong, certification prices are continuing to go up (while pressing prices are down- that's an interesting data point), the turn times are slower (so quick flips, if you crack and press are making it harder to catch sheep on the way down) - I'd really be surprised if the dealer cabal is not seeing their pressing profit margins become slimmer and slimmer.

It seems this move is the combination of a few factors. The public has had a pressing gestation period. Dale and the others have been screaming the 'no one care mantra for years now.' Maybe complacency has finally set in, or maybe the people in the know have less affinity for the HG slabbed books because they know what is possible inside a Blue label. The HG mystique is wearing off because a lot of those 9.6 SA books were 9.0s and 9.2s. The people not in the know are also impacted because while they don't have the knowledge, they see a barrage of 9.4 - 9.8 ASMs, the entire run up for auction and available everyday of the week 365 a year. So its no big deal, and no big deal = no bigger dollars.

So in the end one could argue that pressing has the potential to push things full circle and devalue the market faster as it increases the HG supply in a disproportionate way to the demand. Put another way, without pressing the HG numbers of 2012 may have taken until 2016 or longer to achieve were altered examples not a possibility inside a CGC blue label.

2c

Hope everyone is well.

Best

Jason

ALL OF THIS.

HG books over extending their potential

This language is only meaningful on an emotional level.

The PRICES ARE COMING DOWN. Its not a crash

Happy Thanksgiving :banana:

How can he say pressing is controversial, I thought most people don't know about it and those that do don't care (shrug)

Yes, people do not consider pressing restoration. And if they are unaware of the process, once explained, they do not care. But these crazy irrational types who do not like it, they are just :censored: in the head.

I PREFER a book that has not been pressed over a pressed book. But we can manufacture hg books for profit and should do so. Why leave cash on the table right? It worked well for the BA market, look how healthy those 9.4's are with all the "new" 9.8's.

How can he say pressing is controversial, I thought most people don't know about it and those that do don't care (shrug)

Yes, people do not consider pressing restoration. And if they are unaware of the process, once explained, they do not care. But these crazy irrational types who do not like it, they are just :censored: in the head.

I PREFER a book that has not been pressed over a pressed book. But we can manufacture hg books for profit and should do so. Why leave cash on the table right? It worked well for the BA market, look how healthy those 9.4's are with all the "new" 9.8's.

100% agree, all is good in the comic book world. The biggest question in my mind is what "new" process are people doing to books to help push the grade even higher while maintaining the blue status. So far we know.

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

3. Micro trimming (when done properly)

4. Disassembly and reassembly.

5. Staple replacement (when done properly with vintage staples)

6. Reattachment with tape

100% agree, all is good in the comic book world. The biggest question in my mind is what "new" process are people doing to books to help push the grade even higher while maintaining the blue status. So far we know.

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

And those are all legitimate acceptable methods...... :sick:

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

I wasn't aware micro-trimming was a legitimate acceptable method?

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

As long as it gets a blue label it is okay.

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

Well, I just found out my ASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin) received a 9.4...I thought it was for sure a 9.6...Maybe I will try my hand at the pressing game just to see what all the fuss is about...Once I find out what the actual defects are of course...

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

degenerates. (tsk)

Who's Ravenstone (ex-Heritage staffer?):

What a silly article about a ginned up non-controversy. There's no "conflict of interest" here. Classics Inc. restores/conserves books, CGC grades them. That's it. As long as the restoration performed is disclosed - and, as the article mentions, CGC is now in a better position to do a thorough job with this - there's no issue and the end consumer can make an informed decision on the graded comics they buy.

As to the, "CGC is going to give higher grades to books worked on by Classics, Inc.," that's equally absurd. What's their motivation to do that? It's become a common screed among the comics conspiracy nuts to believe that there's a group of "insiders" that get preferential treatment from CGC. As a former Heritage employee - one of the supposed "insiders" - and someone who has actually spent time at the CGC offices watching them grade - I can tell you that's absolutely not the truth (not that my actual experience will dissuade any of the crazy conspiracy theorists out there). CGC grades and processes an enormous number of books, and I can tell you that during the time I spent there, there was no way of the graders knowing who's books they were grading. Everything was identified by number, not name, so books submitted by big companies like Heritage were handled in exactly the same way as books submitted by smaller dealers or individuals.

"Pressing" is another silly concern. As far as I know, CGC has always been on record that they don't consider pressing to be restoration, as nothing is added to the book. Since that's the case, their acquisition of Classics Inc. has no relevance to this point. Pressing will still not be considered restoration, so what's the difference? I know there are a lot of collectors that disagree with this position, but that's CGCs stance, and this changes nothing.

All in all, this is simply an inflammatory article written for the purpose of stirring up controversy. Really, there's nothing to see here. Move along.

:facepalm:

30636163.jpg

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

:applause:

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

Yes, people do not consider pressing restoration. And if they are unaware of the process, once explained, they do not care. But these crazy irrational types who think this way are just :censored: in the head....and would go onto do anything possible to get a book a better grade in a blue label holder. Forget the fact that each person has his/her own ability to reason and conclude on their own that pressing is a non-issue while trimming, tape, disassembly and others are, or even further each procedure have a varying degree of concern for that individual.

I don't mind pressed books at all and don't even inquire as to whether or not the book has been pressed. So, I guess I'm just a dumbazz that is over paying. But I'm the same dumbazz that won't buy a GA book with tape...but that doesn't make sense, because I don't care about pressing, so surely tape shouldn't bother me at all...as long as it's in a blue label.

It's the same old stretch of an argument from the last six years. "OMG, if CGC accepts pressing the next thing you know, trimming will be ok by CGC and all the other sheep will fall in line. (as long as they are all making more money).

It's a good thing they invented the interwebs, this time of year it probably gets cold outside standing on the corner preaching to the sinners that the end is near.

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

Yes, people do not consider pressing restoration. And if they are unaware of the process, once explained, they do not care. But these crazy irrational types who think this way are just :censored: in the head....and would go onto do anything possible to get a book a better grade in a blue label holder. Forget the fact that each person has his/her own ability to reason and conclude on their own that pressing is a non-issue while trimming, tape, disassembly and others are, or even further each procedure have a varying degree of concern for that individual.

I don't mind pressed books at all and don't even inquire as to whether or not the book has been pressed. So, I guess I'm just a dumbazz that is over paying. But I'm the same dumbazz that won't buy a GA book with tape...but that doesn't make sense, because I don't care about pressing, so surely tape shouldn't bother me at all...as long as it's in a blue label.

It's the same old stretch of an argument from the last six years. "OMG, if CGC accepts pressing the next thing you know, trimming will be ok by CGC and all the other sheep will fall in line. (as long as they are all making more money).

It's a good thing they invented the interwebs, this time of year it probably gets cold outside standing on the corner preaching to the sinners that the end is near.

:roflmao:

1. Pressing

2. Dry cleaning

I laughed. And personally, I don't care what CGC accepts and does not. I DO however enjoy stirring the pot. Is what it is. If I want to know about work, I ask. If you lie, your a POS. Thats pretty easy right?