• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

As for conflict of interest, I'll just say this... who has more conflict of interest than a dealer? I buy the books, I grade them, I do restoration checks, I price them and I sell them.

Dealers sell books, CGC sell an opinion. Apples to oranges there.

I agree with Gav, dealers aren't impartial at all by definition. A dealer can earn trust by being honest over a period of time but who actually trusts a dealer that they don't know? There are some dealers I trust, some I don't trust and some that I haven't formed an opinion of.

CGC on the other hand should be deserving of trust BECAUSE they should be impartial. If they had no business partnership to someone else in the business then they would have nothing to gain from not being impartial.

As before, I'm not saying they would do something to betray trust but the potential is there and why would I trust non impartial people that I don't personally know? My point is that a comparison between dealers and CGC on this point is apples and oranges.

As for conflict of interest, I'll just say this... who has more conflict of interest than a dealer? I buy the books, I grade them, I do restoration checks, I price them and I sell them.

Dealers sell books, CGC sell an opinion. Apples to oranges there.

I agree with Gav, dealers aren't impartial at all by definition. A dealer can earn trust by being honest over a period of time but who actually trusts a dealer that they don't know? There are some dealers I trust, some I don't trust and some that I haven't formed an opinion of.

CGC on the other hand should be deserving of trust BECAUSE they should be impartial. If they had no business partnership to someone else in the business then they would have nothing to gain from not being impartial.

As before, I'm not saying they would do something to betray trust but the potential is there and why would I trust non impartial people that I don't personally know? My point is that a comparison between dealers and CGC on this point is apples and oranges.

It's not "apples and oranges" no matter who says it. It's still about trust. Period. A grading company can never have a greater conflict of interest than charging its service based on the FMV of an item. Yet you still trust them, as you believe they have proven themselves trustworthy. They could grade first submissions low banking on re-submission fees. Yet you still trust them because you believe they have proven themselves trustworthy. Unlike with a dealer, you don't even know who is grading their books, but you still trust them because you believe they have proven themselves trustowrthy. They could be, depite all statements, giving special grades to friends and favored dealers, yet you still trust them because you believe they have proven themselves trustworthy.

There is no such thing as an "impartial" grader the way you mean. If CGC has earned your trust in the past, despite myriad potential conflicts of interest, why at this point should hiring a restoration/pressing guy be a big deal? It seems minor to the potential conflicts that already exist, and with which few seem to feel CGC has betrayed. Why believe they are going to betray trust now?

If they've been trustworthy, it's logical to assume they will continue to be so. If you didn't deem them trustworthy in the past, it's logical to assume you wouldn't have been using their services anyway, and this should make no difference whatsoever.

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Not being arsey here, just a genuine question out of interest.

I am curious about this as well.

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Matt can verify for his customer that he's done enough resto removal to warrant a blue label. Thus avoiding a 2nd attempt to redo the process with more grading fees.

It is NOT a discussion about the numerical grade the book would receive: "The grade of the book is the grade of the book."

The question was who from CGC will work with CI. And as they're both separate companies, how come they can talk now when they couldn't before? What's the change?

CGC should have no idea if resto has been removed from a book or not before it enters their facility, resto has been missed by CI before now, so if it's missed by CI with CGC's input and then picked up on grading you have a problem. A 'conflict of interest' as it were.

And if they can work with CI on resto removal, they can work with CI on pressing, no?

This phrase is my main concern reguarding resto removal.

"CGC should have no idea if resto has been removed from a book or not before it enters their facility".

There is more grumpiness in that list than those two old dudes on the Muppets who sit up in the balcony.

We should lease some conference rooms & suites at the Ritz Carlton, put the 10 Angry Men in them together for a weekend, cater it & furnish a bar, & podcast the proceedings for the Boards.

That would own.

They could play poker.

There is more grumpiness in that list than those two old dudes on the Muppets who sit up in the balcony.

We should lease some conference rooms & suites at the Ritz Carlton, put the 10 Angry Men in them together for a weekend, cater it & furnish a bar, & podcast the proceedings for the Boards.

That would own.

They could play poker.

I don't play cards. And I am not grumpy, it's bad press.

FT

Pat

Dale

Bob

Bedrock

namisgr

Miles

Roy

Theagenes

Waid

I add dave - humantorch

How about Mark Zaid?

How about no.

Alright already. I'll throw in my hat as a sane and reasonable collector with only one or two boardies that hate me. :sumo:

Now re-stating the obvious that if CGC can confirm that Matt has removed enough resto to confirm a unrestored status, then they know where the book came from and are working too closely to be considered separate. Otherwise every book with resto would have to be a call to Matt's office to confirm or deny his efforts, be it his work or just another restored book that was found wanting.

A quick call to the owner of said book and a form update and now Matt's on the case to remove the resto.

What. You received a call about your OO book that has resto....no problem. It can be removed for a price. But you bought it off the stands....how's that possible? Don't ask, just fill out the form. You'll be billed later and will be happy with the grade as the grade is the grade is the grade.

Please explain away the connundrum I see?

Not only that, but Matt has MISSED resto himself, that's why there was a problem with submitting books to him and having to resubmit them again.

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

As an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) of companies, Classics will operate as a stand alone business separate from CGC.

Who from CGC will be working with CI on the resto detection in the instances of removal? And if CI are still an independent company, how come CGC will be allowed to do this now?

Not being arsey here, just a genuine question out of interest.

I am curious about this as well.

Sounds ok to me. (shrug)

Matt can verify for his customer that he's done enough resto removal to warrant a blue label. Thus avoiding a 2nd attempt to redo the process with more grading fees.

It is NOT a discussion about the numerical grade the book would receive: "The grade of the book is the grade of the book."

The question was who from CGC will work with CI. And as they're both separate companies, how come they can talk now when they couldn't before? What's the change?

CGC should have no idea if resto has been removed from a book or not before it enters their facility, resto has been missed by CI before now, so if it's missed by CI with CGC's input and then picked up on grading you have a problem. A 'conflict of interest' as it were.

And if they can work with CI on resto removal, they can work with CI on pressing, no?

This phrase is my main concern reguarding resto removal.

"CGC should have no idea if resto has been removed from a book or not before it enters their facility".

My line of thinking is if a customer has asked for a resto check and stated they only want the book subbing if it will end up in a blue label bill of health. If the resto is missed and the graders pick up on it it will end up as a PLOD. Now if wasted CGC fees are to be eliminated, who from CGC will be working with CI to check for restoration following the removal? Graders? If not and the graders still find resto then that's a wasted fee, unless the book gets returned for more resto removal. But how would the graders know it had to go back?

The 10 Angry Men

FT

Pat

Dale

Bob

Bedrock

namisgr

Miles

Roy

Theagenes

arex

We need more women on this board, Not on the Angry MEN list, but there should be a bit more of a mix, lol

Agreed. It will eventually happen as females will eventually compose the future majority of the comic book readers within 5 to 10 years. (thumbs u

The 10 Angry Men

FT

Pat

Dale

Bob

Bedrock

namisgr

Miles

Roy

Theagenes

arex

We need more women on this board, Not on the Angry MEN list, but there should be a bit more of a mix, lol

Sky should defnitely be there. She is sharp, energetic and knowledgeable.

As someone who studied restoration for several years, including doing some study with Susan at her studio, I should also be included. Since I do not collect comics anymore, I would not bring any potential conflict of interest to the table. And I can improvise impressive drunken haiku.

I'm not an angry man but I don't want to be on a committee. I don't like politics.

You can have my place.

(thumbs u

:D

I was not volunteering, just commenting...I tend to answer 10 page treatises with a few sentences, not sure that's is what is needed here;) and I'm already volunteering;) on another page