• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

We need some fundraiser ST's so we can fly all 10 + sha & POV to Vegas for a youtube broadcast summit.

DrWatson will be the special guest of honor.

Only if we can roast him...in a nice garlic butter wine sauce. Sprigs of rosemary tucked into those fatty crevices and voila!

Better me than you. You would smell of curry.

Curry is the food of the goods. Only those weak of mind and stomach quiver in its presence.

I concur a good curry, vindaloo, korma etc. can be godlike. One reason for not eating as much Indian is that even after 39 years or experimenting I still cannot nail it. It can come close but there is something always lacking.

BTW - just for the record so those who think curry has a certain smell: curry is actually a method of cooking in a liquid. A curry can have just a couple of spices or a dozen or more. There is no such thing as a curry spice (although there ARE curry leaves form a plant that are oftne ignored by the Western chef). And the so called "curry powder" really is a Western creation. The closest one could come to it is a "gharam masala", but even there each household or restaurant has their own formula. Just saying.

Tonight I shall be cooking mussels in shallots, butter, heirloom tomato and, instead of wine, some junmai sake. It should also be godlike.

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

OK, so wasn't it Matt himself, on these very boards, who insisted that the open market wouldn't diffentiate between books that have been identified as pressed as those that have not?

And that's why he thought it unnecessary to disclose?

I'm just thinking...cake and eat it? (shrug)

I fully expected this response. Again, to myself and many others there is no reason to differentiate. As I said, even if it's a fraction, there are people out there in the market that may differentiate. You make up a part of that fraction.

That alone is cause enough for at least a few sellers to not want it on the label. Not to mention the many people who probably don't want to be villafied by a group of pressing haters and have their name added to some list or even their books added to some gallery.

Therefore, CGC, who is now in the business of pressing comics , does not want to give any customers the smallest reason to use another pressing service.

My reply was only to demonstrate why CGC would never put it on the label. It had nothing to do with whether or not people care about pressing or not. That debate has been run into the ground for most of us. Most of us have decided for ourselves with our dollar which way we go. You have made your statement by purging all of your CGC books and not submitting anymore. I have made mine by buying and selling both pressed and unpressed books for top dollar.

I see it differently.

I think it's as simple as the fact that I don't think they can put a "pressed" notation on a label know comes through CI but not put "pressed" on a comic that doesn't come through CI because they can't tell accurately and market their books as all graded the same way.

It has to be the same standard for every book that comes through a grader's hands. Or as humanly possible. Simple as that.

Roy, Whether its pressed or not should not have anything to do with the grade of the book. They all get graded the same way, and if they are doing it the way they should be, the graders won't know it came through CI.

I'd say I'm right, there is a risk of giving submitters a reason to use another service or not use theirs at all. Even if I and many of us don't believe there should be one, there is some, albeit slim IMO, possibility the pressed label could become a stigmata, at which point Classics Inc (at least in association with CGC) would cease to exist.

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

OK, so wasn't it Matt himself, on these very boards, who insisted that the open market wouldn't diffentiate between books that have been identified as pressed as those that have not?

I fully expected this response. Again, to myself and many others there is no reason to differentiate. As I said, even if it's a fraction, there are people out there in the market that may differentiate. You make up a part of that fraction.

That alone is cause enough for at least a few sellers to not want it on the label.

And this, in a nutshell, is why disclosure will never happen...many sellers are not prepared to risk a single cent in potential lost revenue in exchange for being honest and transparent.

I'll give you credit, Mike, for at least having the balls to admit that's the case. (thumbs u It's certainly not what we've heard from a number of pro-pressing advocates.

That alone is cause enough for at least a few sellers to not want it on the label.

And this, in a nutshell, is why disclosure will never happen...many sellers are not prepared to risk a single cent in potential lost revenue in exchange for being honest and transparent.

I'll give you credit, Mike, for at least having the balls to admit that's the case. (thumbs u It's certainly not what we've heard from a number of pro-pressing advocates.

For the record. I don't necessarily agree that is the case (that there is a cent at risk). I definitely don't think it should be, but that's my opinion.

Roy, Whether its pressed or not should not have anything to do with the grade of the book. They all get graded the same way, and if they are doing it the way they should be, the graders won't know it came through CI.

I'd say I'm right, there is a risk of giving submitters a reason to use another service or not use theirs at all. Even if I and many of us don't believe there should be one, there is some, albeit slim IMO, possibility the pressed label could become a stigmata, at which point Classics Inc (at least in association with CGC) would cease to exist.

Wanted to add to this.

Roy, if what you were saying is if they label books pressed by CI then it would give the perception that they may have been graded differently (with less scrutiny)...well, that brings us right back to the other thread and the perception of a conflict of interest.

Wanted to add to this.

Roy, if what you were saying is if they label books pressed by CI then it would give the perception that they may have been graded differently (with less scrutiny)...well, that brings us right back to the other thread and the perception of a conflict of interest.

It's not a question of scrutiny, it's a question of levelling the playing field for the graders so that they making consistent grading calls. The entire reason CGC did not label books as pressed was because they could not detect it.

All books that come through CI that would be pressed would be labelled as pressed.

All books that don't come through CI that might be pressed would not be labelled as pressed.

It would be an unbalanced grading system with not all books being treated the same way.

Wanted to add to this.

It's not a question of scrutiny, it's a question of levelling the playing field for the graders so that they making consistent grading calls. The entire reason CGC did not label books as pressed was because they could not detect it.

All books that come through CI that would be pressed would be labelled as pressed.

All books that don't come through CI that might be pressed would not be labelled as pressed.

It would be an unbalanced grading system with not all books being treated the same way.

I agree 100% here. I brought it up a a few days ago in the first thread about this.

In general, I can see CGC taking a stance that since pressing has not been disclosed in the past, it could be implied that any book without a Pressed notification could be seen as an unpressed book. This would be true especially a few years down the road when the population of pressed books from the CI partnership is greatly increased.

I can also see them taking a stance that if they include a pressing notation on these books, they should do a pressing notation on any book that has been pressed. In many cases, though, that is impossible to determine.

Wanted to add to this.

Yes, but that is the decision CGC has made. They claimed they couldn't detect pressing so it couldn't be put on the label. Now what's their excuse?

They will know for sure that books that get pressed from CI are in fact pressed. No more speculation. It's right there for them to know.

As for others who press and submit, well again that goes back to the original rationale for not noting it was pressed...because they can't tell.

If they know a book is pressed because their own company is doing it....they should disclose it. End of story.

By not disclosing it, it's a conflict of interest as an impartial grading company.

At least that's the way I see it. 2c

Wanted to add to this.

Yes, but that is the decision CGC has made. They claimed they couldn't detect pressing so it couldn't be put on the label. Now what's their excuse?

They will know for sure that books that get pressed from CI are in fact pressed. No more speculation. It's right there for them to know.

As for others who press and submit, well again that goes back to the original rationale for not noting it was pressed...because they can't tell.

If they know a book is pressed because their own company is doing it....they should disclose it. End of story.

By not disclosing it, it's a conflict of interest as an impartial grading company.

+1

Wanted to add to this.

Who are they disclosing it to? The person who sent in the books already knows they're being pressed right? Does CGC disclose pressing on all the books they already receive from known pressers? IMHO, it's up to the discretion of the seller to disclose whether a book has been pressed or not.

Wanted to add to this.

Who are they disclosing it to? The person who sent in the books already knows they're being pressed right? Does CGC disclose pressing on all the books they already receive from known pressers? IMHO, it's up to the discretion of the seller to disclose whether a book has been pressed or not.

I can see your point as it relates to those known pressers who submit books already. I've thought to myself before that they know books coming from known pressers are most likely pressed....but that is MOST LIKELY. Not DEFINITELY.

Having the service in house takes any guessing away from the equation. They have an obligation as an impartial grading service to disclose what is absolutely known about the condition of a book. If they know without any uncertainty that a book has been pressed in house.....it should be noted.

Anything less is disingenuous. Again going back to the original reason why they said pressing couldn't be noted...because it was hard to detect. Now it's not so hard when you have the company down the hall doing it for you.

Wanted to add to this.

:eyeroll:

No mess, Roy. We all know they can't detect it with accuracy and that's why they don't/can't label it.

I sure hope the hell that books that come in front of the graders would NOT be labeled in any way. if they did come in front of the grader labeled as pressed by CI then of course anyone with any sense of company loyalty is going to have trouble treating the book the same way they would other books.

As I said, that brings us back to the whole conflict of interest thing, and the public perception of a lack of impartiality.

It's been said in the two threads concerning it over and over, and I think we are all saying the same thing. The only difference being that some have complete faith in CGC to do it the right way, some don't believe they will at all, and some of us believe that that their intentions may be good, but unless they have rules (chinese walls) in place and are transparent about it the public will suspect a things are shady.

Wanted to add to this.

I already addressed this.

Wanted to add to this.

I can see your point as it relates to those known pressers who submit books already. I've thought to myself before that they know books coming from known pressers are most likely pressed....but that is MOST LIKELY. Not DEFINITELY.

Having the service in house takes any guessing away from the equation. They have an obligation as an impartial grading service to disclose what is absolutely known about the condition of a book. If they know without any uncertainty that a book has been pressed in house.....it should be noted.

Anything less is disingenuous. Again going back to the original reason why they said pressing couldn't be noted...because it was hard to detect. Now it's not so hard when you have the company down the hall doing it for you.

If we're to believe the graders don't know who the books are coming from ( and I do believe this ) then how are they to know who has pressed them?

Wanted to add to this.

+1

One more time.

Just because they KNOW a book was pressed by CI doesn't mean they suddenly know books are pressed by the multiple others providing this service.

There is an iota of a chance that it may give the perception of stigma to books labeled pressed. Therefore they may be cutting out much of their customer base for the pressing service by labeling books as pressed because those customers will use an alternative pressing service that won't get their books labeled.

Wanted to add to this.

If we're to believe the graders don't know who the books are coming from ( and I do believe this ) then how are they to know who has pressed them?

That's a fair point. If they are truly blind to all of it and just get the book without any documentation (which is how it should be)....then you are right...they won't know.

However, CGC knows. Perhaps the grader won't know it's been pressed but someone knows for sure it has been pressed. For that, it should be noted.

Wanted to add to this.

+1

One more time.

Just because they KNOW a book was pressed by CI doesn't mean they suddenly know books are pressed by the multiple others providing this service.

There is an iota of a chance that it may give the perception of stigmata to books labeled pressed. Therefore they may be cutting out much of their customer base for the pressing service by labeling books as pressed because those customers will use an alternative pressing service that won't get their books labeled.

Then it's just deception to make more money. As an impartial grading company they have an obligation to note what they know for 100% sure what has been done to a comic. If they offer the service to press then it should be noted.

How about this one.....

If they know a book has had restoration removed....that should be noted as well.

I know it's unfathomable to think but this is why it's a conflict of interest.