• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

There is more grumpiness in that list than those two old dudes on the Muppets who sit up in the balcony.

Statler and Waldorf :cloud9:

There was more grumpiness in the early days of the board. I miss the old grumpiness and acrimony.

Part of the problem is this new, young crowd doesn't know the definition of such words as acrimonious.

There is more grumpiness in that list than those two old dudes on the Muppets who sit up in the balcony.

There was more grumpiness in the early days of the board. I miss the old grumpiness and acrimony.

I do miss some of the just 15 round prize fights we use to have. But there is a lot more civility here now

Part of the problem is this new, young crowd doesn't know the definition of such words as acrimonious.

I'm shocked you spelled it correctly.

Graders should grade - not answer phones,go to cons or be posting on here.

That annoyed the hell out of me to see a grader posting in moderns.

How do you know he was posting on company time? Maybe he wasn't at work, or if he was, he was on lunch/coffee/cig break? (shrug)

And apart from anything else, I think we should see more of the CGC employees here. I would certain help some with the less-than-stellar PR they currently get.

Because it was during working hours.

I would rather have hoped that someone with your respect on these boards would have supported some of my other suggestions rather than nit-picking.

TaT are very annoying for some of us.

Constant contests between long standing members of this forum:

a) Don't help solve a problem

b) Present a united front with which CGC might actually take our concerns seriously

c) Do anything but discourage new members to join.

This thread has again turned into a press v non-press, dealer vs dealer and a chance to score some points.

Meanwhile CGC are sitting back with a cuban stogie, a 40 yr old malt and laughing.

It is nothing short of disgraceful that a company has crept out to a 6 month delay without any consequences at all, as the only people with the clout to make them accountable are too busy playing 'my knobs bigger than yours'.

And its not even Friday Night for you blokes.

:screwy:

quality of grading comes before speed or the grading is mute

Moot.

Actually, mute is correct. Have you ever heard a comic speak?

No. Why would they? They haven't in the past and what would make you think they would change that stance now?

My question was directed to Steve Eichenbaum, I didn't know you were working for CGC and could answer for them.

As for why they would, one of the reasons that was given in the past is that pressing was very hard to detect and then that there was no way for CGC to confirm that a book has been pressed or not.

Now that this is going to change for several books, I would like to know what will be CGC stance for the books that they now know for sure that have been pressed.

Thank you in advance Mr Eichenbaum for your upcoming answer to my question.

My man, my opinion (and I don't think CGC is going to answer it which is why I'm giving it) is that CGC will not notate pressing on the label because it's impossible to detect with any great degree of accuracy.

Even if they notated all the books that came through the new service that were known to be pressed, the playing field would not be the same because they would not be able to notate (or detect it) on books that did not come through the new service.

The job of the grader is simply to grade the book as it sits in front of them with no prior knowledge of the book.

Forgive me if this has been stated already, as I haven't finished reading this thread yet.

The graders at CGC are not supposed to know who/where the book is coming from, right? They are presented the comic in a mylar with a bar code.

So, how would they know if any of the books are coming from Classics? How would they know if any of the books were pressed?

If the graders still get the books the same way, then they shouldn`t know these things.

My biggest question was if Classics was removing resto, is there going to be a CGC resto expert beside Matt to confirm that ``yes, this will now receive a blue label, I am satisfied`` Or ``no, you didn`t get it all, scratch a bit more off of the comics code and we`ll call it a day``.

My biggest question was if Classics was removing resto, is there going to be a CGC resto expert beside Matt to confirm that ``yes, this will now receive a blue label, I am satisfied`` Or ``no, you didn`t get it all, scratch a bit more off of the comics code and we`ll call it a day``.

I'm not sure how they would handle it, and in fact, I don't really see how the book is not still graded impartially even if they know a book was either pressed or resto was removed by Matt. They don't know what the previous state or grade of the book was and they certainly don't know who the owner is. hm

...but if I personally wanted to, I could make a system whereby the book is flagged in the system but not to the graders.

So, for example, a book comes from CI where resto was presumably removed but it still garners a purple label again because it still has resto on it. The system/software has an internal warning system that removes the book from the grading process without notifying graders (graders see a different screen than the rest of the office, which is probably how it is already) - for example a QC or an administrative person might remove these books from the grading line and send them back for additional work. The grader is none the wiser.

That way it's completely separate and yet the customer still gets what they paid for.

This is all hypothetical but it's the first thing that pops into my mind.

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

OK, so wasn't it Matt himself, on these very boards, who insisted that the open market wouldn't diffentiate between books that have been identified as pressed as those that have not?

And that's why he thought it unnecessary to disclose?

I'm just thinking...cake and eat it? (shrug)