• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

As for conflict of interest, I'll just say this... who has more conflict of interest than a dealer? I buy the books, I grade them, I do restoration checks, I price them and I sell them.

Dealers sell books, CGC sell an opinion. Apples to oranges there.

I agree with Gav, dealers aren't impartial at all by definition. A dealer can earn trust by being honest over a period of time but who actually trusts a dealer that they don't know? There are some dealers I trust, some I don't trust and some that I haven't formed an opinion of.

CGC on the other hand should be deserving of trust BECAUSE they should be impartial. If they had no business partnership to someone else in the business then they would have nothing to gain from not being impartial.

As before, I'm not saying they would do something to betray trust but the potential is there and why would I trust non impartial people that I don't personally know? My point is that a comparison between dealers and CGC on this point is apples and oranges.

It's not "apples and oranges" no matter who says it. It's still about trust. Period. A grading company can never have a greater conflict of interest than charging its service based on the FMV of an item. Yet you still trust them, as you believe they have proven themselves trustworthy. They could grade first submissions low banking on re-submission fees. Yet you still trust them because you believe they have proven themselves trustworthy. Unlike with a dealer, you don't even know who is grading their books, but you still trust them because you believe they have proven themselves trustowrthy. They could be, depite all statements, giving special grades to friends and favored dealers, yet you still trust them because you believe they have proven themselves trustworthy.

There is no such thing as an "impartial" grader the way you mean. If CGC has earned your trust in the past, despite myriad potential conflicts of interest, why at this point should hiring a restoration/pressing guy be a big deal? It seems minor to the potential conflicts that already exist, and with which few seem to feel CGC has betrayed. Why believe they are going to betray trust now?

If they've been trustworthy, it's logical to assume they will continue to be so. If you didn't deem them trustworthy in the past, it's logical to assume you wouldn't have been using their services anyway, and this should make no difference whatsoever.

Ok, can I suggest that ethical dealers are more deserving of your trust than CGC?

Why?

Because an ethical dealer will stand behind his opinion to the extent whereby he's willing to take a 3rd party opinion as to his competance and refund in full, inclusive of shipping, if he's found to be lacking.

Show me where CGC offers anything like that coverage?

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

OK, so wasn't it Matt himself, on these very boards, who insisted that the open market wouldn't diffentiate between books that have been identified as pressed as those that have not?

And that's why he thought it unnecessary to disclose?

I'm just thinking...cake and eat it? (shrug)

If I had a quid for every time I've heard someone round here say that the collecting community just doesn't care about pressing....... well, I'd certainly wine and dine comfortably for some time.

..... but noooooo, you can't possibly label books as definitely pressed because that would disadvantage the poor ol squished books that supposedly are at an equal Market level.

That list is sweet.

Roy would try to dominate parliament.

Nope. I would just try to get everyone to agree. Even Watson.

You have two hopes.

Bob Hope and no hope. :/

lol

I can be pretty convincing one on one as long as someone gives me the time.

Disclaimer: I use my powers for good.

:baiting:

We need some fundraiser ST's so we can fly all 10 + sha & POV to Vegas for a youtube broadcast summit.

DrWatson will be the special guest of honor.

Only if we can roast him...in a nice garlic butter wine sauce. Sprigs of rosemary tucked into those fatty crevices and voila!

We need some fundraiser ST's so we can fly all 10 + sha & POV to Vegas for a youtube broadcast summit.

I thinking the Vegas trip should be at the Mirage, in the ring. 12 rounds, 3 minutes each.

Only if we can roast him...in a nice garlic butter wine sauce. Sprigs of rosemary tucked into those fatty crevices and voila!

Better me than you. You would smell of curry.

Nah, more porcini and roma tomato. I don't eat Indian food much, although I do like it. At least 50% of what I eat is Italian. Second in line is Japanese. Then Chinese. THEN Indian and other regional cuisines.

Curry is the food of the goods. Only those weak of mind and stomach quiver in its presence.

We are constantly looking for qualified graders and if any of you would like to apply, we will be happy to evaluate your skills.

Regards,

Steve Eichenbaum

CEO

Certified Collectibles Group

How much does the job pay on average?

How average are you?

I am very disappointed by this acquisition. I hope and pray for the continued legitimacy of CGC that CGC creates clear rules that separate Classics Inc and CGC such that CGC employees and graders are unaware that Classics Inc. handled, pressed or otherwise serviced any comic which is subsequently graded by CGC. If this simple rule is not adopted and adherence to this rule is not demonstrated, I am afraid that CGC will lose considerable credibility in the field and that the appearance of impropriety will consume CGC. I do not believe that it matters whether or not there is actual impropriety only the appearance of impropriety. This separation is also important to eliminate perceived favoritism by CGC or discrimination against other pressing services or companies that offer services comparable to Classics Inc.

Ultimately, I and many others are opposed to this acquisition, but it is too late to undue what has been done without causing CGC considerable economic loss. As such, the only solution is to separate the businesses and keep the respective employees from knowing what the other business has done to a comic. If there is not explicit adherence to this principle, then I am afraid that CGC graded comics will be suspect and that buyers and consumers generally will be fearful that they are being taken advantage of by the relationship between CGC and Classics Inc..

So yes, even if they know it was pressed down tbe hall, it won't get labeled because, even if only by a fraction, it would put those books at a disadvantage on tbe open market and consumers would not use the service.

OK, so wasn't it Matt himself, on these very boards, who insisted that the open market wouldn't diffentiate between books that have been identified as pressed as those that have not?

I fully expected this response. Again, to myself and many others there is no reason to differentiate. As I said, even if it's a fraction, there are people out there in the market that may differentiate. You make up a part of that fraction.

That alone is cause enough for at least a few sellers to not want it on the label. Not to mention the many people who probably don't want to be villafied by a group of pressing haters and have their name added to some list or even their books added to some gallery.

Therefore, CGC, who is now in the business of pressing comics , does not want to give any customers the smallest reason to use another pressing service.

My reply was only to demonstrate why CGC would never put it on the label. It had nothing to do with whether or not people care about pressing or not. That debate has been run into the ground for most of us. Most of us have decided for ourselves with our dollar which way we go. You have made your statement by purging all of your CGC books and not submitting anymore. I have made mine by buying and selling both pressed and unpressed books for top dollar.

If I had a quid for every time I've heard someone round here say that the collecting community just doesn't care about pressing....... well, I'd certainly wine and dine comfortably for some time.

..... but noooooo, you can't possibly label books as definitely pressed because that would disadvantage the poor ol squished books that supposedly are at an equal Market level.

I already responded to FT, but I figured if I gave you guys a "fraction" you'd take a mile (1600 meters, just so no one is confused)