• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan Barbarian # 1 Pence Variant: Rarity is an understatement

188 posts in this topic

I've never seen a pence copy of Conan # 1 and I can't find any evidence of one having existed outside of McAlpines guide. I also have a great deal of respect for Kevins source on the non existence of them, he's a long time dealer and collector and was around when they came out.

I believe it's existence was a mistake by McAlpine. 2c

i am just very curious as to who that someone is and on what authority? Just because you respect that person's opinion does not mean that it is right. On the strength of persuasive merit, is he a collector and expert on Marvel pence printings, and was he around when the book was printed?? With all due respect,, be it to please the powers that be or because of someone's vested interests to stamp down awareness, we must let the truth prevail rather than be pressured into sweeping things under the carpet. We are afterall on the topics on comics collecting, and not engaged in dirty politics.

Sorry but i am not much for political-correctness, to hell with it .Hate to say it, but i find this sudden development appalling.

:eyeroll: No one is sweeping anything under the carpet. All we're saying is until a copy surfaces and can be confirmed, then it's all speculation.

I'm not one for political correctness either and I'm still calling BS until I see one.

I have seen pence copies of all the SA keys but never have i ever set eyes on one for CTB#1 though the existence of this #1 pence is known and well confirmed in the comics world.

Then why has this discussion gone on for as long as it has? Who has "well confirmed" its existence?

i am just very curious as to who that someone is and on what authority?

hm

The unsure statement from Kevin notwithstanding, what about those longtime comics dealers and collectors who confirmed that the pence #1 exist,

I have never seen one but assumed one existed because of McAlpines list.

I was informed yesterday by people who know far more than I do that it doesn't exist. I believe them.

Until one turns up I am happy to say it does not exist.

Guides & lists are wrong all the time. Unless someone you know and trusts has seen it and will confirm it, don't trust the list. There are some titles missing issue numbers but guides will list the missing issues as if they do exist. They try to make reasonable assumptions, but reasonable assumptions can be wrong.

DG

ya tell me on who's influence and credentials, and i will tell u who are those i have asked about this. Fair game. :eyeroll:Else its just your words against mine, nothing personal.

All the gang-up don't amount to anything away from the truth. Its just the words of many against one or few. This is afterall, a mere forum for people who are dealing in comics and slabbing, not representative of all collectors in the whole wide world, and most being based in the States. Self-contented collectors who have this copy are unlikely to want to sell it such that it hasn't appear in the secondary market as yet.

Now, don't get me wrong, its not that i am making light of the sudden change of statements from our few UK friends or questioning the motive of the influence behind it, only that the coordinated stand thus far is not even credible just because u guys have not seen it, nor can u find a scan of it thru' googling.

What we need are UK based conan collectors and 70s dealers, preferably not a child then when the bk came out in 1970, to give their views, rather than on two three persons unsure comments influenced by someone more senior, one of which bought CTB 1 much later as a child (Kevin). Let's do this the rational way. May the truth prevail (and be vindicated from any agenda)

All the gang-up don't amount to anything away from the truth. Its just the words of many against one or few. This is afterall, a mere forum for people who are dealing in comics and slabbing, not representative of all collectors in the whole wide world, and most being based in the States. Self-contented collectors who have this copy are unlikely to want to sell it such that it hasn't appear in the secondary market as yet.

Sigh

And we're just supposed to take this "truth" on your word alone.

If you know of someone who has a copy, get us a picture and let's stop all this needless wildly_fanciful_statement.

As I said previously, I want to be proven wrong.

Exactly, words from a few can't prove anything. One official printed Proof is in the McAlpine guide

That's not really proof. The guide could be wrong.

Look, you can't prove a negative. There's no way to prove the comic doesn't exist, people can only prove that it does exist by producing a copy. You seem to want the people who are saying they don't believe it exists to provide proof that it doesn't exist, but that's literally impossible.

Personally, until I see a copy, I am not going to believe it exists.

Exactly, words from a few can't prove anything. One official printed Proof is in the McAlpine guide

That's not really proof. The guide could be wrong.

Look, you can't prove a negative. There's no way to prove the comic doesn't exist, people can only prove that it does exist by producing a copy. You seem to want the people who are saying they don't believe it exists to provide proof that it doesn't exist, but that's literally impossible.

Personally, until I see a copy, I am not going to believe it exists.

A few people 's opinion are even wrong too, moreover they don't grew up in places where pence issues have been printed for. Moreover,r why should people who compile a guide ever make such a mistake over a key issue. I am certain it exist because i have personally heard from people in the UK that they have seen it.

Meant no disrespect, but i am sure we all heard the story of the frog in the well.