• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

Seems we got a crazy eagle who thinks he's spotted Frodo on Mt. Doom in Montreal.

We do have a lovely small mountain ( Mt-Royal )next to downtown Montreal and yes it used to be a volcano a long time ago but not anymore.

:o

Thankfully that kid was wearing winter attire,cause i'm scared to think what those claws wouldve done to him in a summer t-shirt.

Thats messed up! He actually had the kid off the ground :o

Like 6 years ago, some kind of hawk swooped down in my backyard trying to snatch our Pomeranian. Luckily, our 2 Scottish terriers were out there and as soon as they saw it getting close started barking at it and it aborted its attempt to snatch her.

Only pet peeve I have is that they loaded up the beginning with voice-over and then it all ended... they really should have put some in the middle or at least ended the story with a voice-over and old Bilbo writing... the last shot they used was pretty weak.

What difference does it make? Jackson did the exact same thing at the start of "Lord of the Rings" with Ian McKellan (Gandalf) doing narration summarizing the war that led to the ring being taken from Sauron.

To me it makes a difference. LOTR was a third person narrator giving backstory. This was first person, and he was writing as he was doing the voice-over. Try to think of another film that does that.

Besides, it would have been much more pleasing to bookend the movie with Bilbo and added a cliffhanger of sorts.... instead of the way they did.

Only pet peeve I have is that they loaded up the beginning with voice-over and then it all ended... they really should have put some in the middle or at least ended the story with a voice-over and old Bilbo writing... the last shot they used was pretty weak.

What difference does it make? Jackson did the exact same thing at the start of "Lord of the Rings" with Ian McKellan (Gandalf) doing narration summarizing the war that led to the ring being taken from Sauron.

It was Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) voicing the narration. :)

Seems we got a crazy eagle who thinks he's spotted Frodo on Mt. Doom in Montreal.

We do have a lovely small mountain ( Mt-Royal )next to downtown Montreal and yes it used to be a volcano a long time ago but not anymore.

:o

Thankfully that kid was wearing winter attire,cause i'm scared to think what those claws wouldve done to him in a summer t-shirt.

Well,i'll be darned.I fell for it.I think its still pretty amazing for a fake.

Man viral is powerful.2 million views in a few hours.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/montreal-school-admits-baby-snatching-eagle-video-is-a-hoax-1.1085355

It was Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) voicing the narration. :)

Oh yea...MUCH better voice, too. Soon as you said it I heard her voice in my head doing the narration.

I didn't even get around to watching the last two installments of LOTR, so I'll be missing this as well.

I recommend Django Unchained and Zero Dark 30 as two movies worth checking out this x-mas..

Took my daughter to a Les Miserables screening last night - she liked it but I thought it was a big snooze - and neither Hugh Jackman nor Russell Crow can sing.

Just saw the movie with my daughter in 3D iMax and absolutely loved it. My only regret is that there are only going to be 3 Hobbit movies. I wouldn`t complain if it was going to be 5 movies!

The time flew, and I loved how Jackson has the luxury of really building the background and isn`t forced into being as rushed or compressed as the LOTR movies were. My only complaint was there was actually too much action. It seemed like literally they were going from one action scene right into the next, without much down time for the audience to decompress a little.

I had deliberately avoided this thread because I didn`t want to have any preconceptions going in. Having now read the thread from the beginning, all I can say is that a lot of people here are the biggest freaking whiners imaginable. 48 fps! Wah! 3D makes my head hurt! Wah! If people in this thread ran the world, we`d still be riding around in horse-drawn carriages.

It was hilarious to see everyone negatively conjecturing in the first few pages, and then as people actually, you know, SAW the film, there`s like a 180 degree turn in sentiment, including towards 48 fps and 3D.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and cant wait for the next one now. I will likely be seeing this again very soon. I did feel like the escape from Goblintown was a bit long and leaning towards goofy and over the top but overall I loved the film and would highly recommend.

I did see this in a 25 seat theater with large automatic reclining seats that had separate heating options for the back and the seat, a swivel table and full menu of food and beverages (beer!). So it was difficult for me not to enjoy myself in that setting. $22 is not too much in my opinion for that level of comfort. However, I do wonder how much that improved my opinion.

Saw it last night - good B+ movie. For a 3 hour marathon it moved quickly and the battle scenes were fantastic. I hated the Brown wizard stuff - riding on a rabbit sled?? I'd see it again.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and cant wait for the next one now. I will likely be seeing this again very soon. I did feel like the escape from Goblintown was a bit long and leaning towards goofy and over the top but overall I loved the film and would highly recommend.

I did see this in a 25 seat theater with large automatic reclining seats that had separate heating options for the back and the seat, a swivel table and full menu of food and beverages (beer!). So it was difficult for me not to enjoy myself in that setting. $22 is not too much in my opinion for that level of comfort. However, I do wonder how much that improved my opinion.

I did the same - ipic theatre. I don't know how I can see a movie anywhere else ever again. By the time the dwarves were feasting in Bilbo's house, we were on our second round of beers and devouring appetizers.

Just saw the movie with my daughter in 3D iMax and absolutely loved it. My only regret is that there are only going to be 3 Hobbit movies. I wouldn`t complain if it was going to be 5 movies!

The time flew, and I loved how Jackson has the luxury of really building the background and isn`t forced into being as rushed or compressed as the LOTR movies were. My only complaint was there was actually too much action. It seemed like literally they were going from one action scene right into the next, without much down time for the audience to decompress a little.

I had deliberately avoided this thread because I didn`t want to have any preconceptions going in. Having now read the thread from the beginning, all I can say is that a lot of people here are the biggest freaking whiners imaginable. 48 fps! Wah! 3D makes my head hurt! Wah! If people in this thread ran the world, we`d still be riding around in horse-drawn carriages.

It was hilarious to see everyone negatively conjecturing in the first few pages, and then as people actually, you know, SAW the film, there`s like a 180 degree turn in sentiment, including towards 48 fps and 3D.

A great example of to 'each their own.' I fell asleep twice and was genuinely bored for the first half of the movie. The 48 fps was fine with me, as was the 3D. I would have preferred if they took better advantage of the 3D effects, though.

As long as the scope of the movies is smaller than LOTR, I'm sure I'll be happy. The Hobbit is a much smaller, more personal story than LOTR. The stakes are smaller, the world is smaller, and there isn't nearly as much backstory depth.

None of which is knocking The Hobbit, I love that book.

I hated the Brown wizard stuff - riding on a rabbit sled?? I'd see it again.

I have to admit, Ratigan and the rabbit sled came uncomfortably close to being a Jar Jar Binks or Little Anakin Tatooine Race moment.