• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2017 at 9:29 AM, boomtown said:

As was mentioned previously, I'm surprised that 181 hasn't garnered interest as Gamora's first full appearance. In 180 we get 4 or 5 panels in a dark bar room, showing her sitting at a bar from the waist up. No mention of her name, just that she might want to kill Warlock. It's a classic textbook cameo appearance, a lead in to the next issues storyline. In 181 we find out who she is , she's featured throughout the whole book, ending with her first meeting with Warlock. Someday, when people actually read the stories, 181 will pick up steam.

I need 181 in 9.6 blue to complete my set. Haven't seen one come to for sale in a long time.

On 2/19/2017 at 7:31 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think all Jim Starlin stuff is vastly underrated. What makes him stand out from most other hot 70s artists is Jim Starlin actually wrote his stories. He was Frank Miller 5 years before Frank Miller! lol.  Starlin also created Drax and Thanos. Not to shabby for a resume..

Could not agree more.  Starlin was writing stuff that was so beyond anyone else at the time that it boggles the mind.  Smart,creative and trippy.  Warlock was a fairly lame character that was going no where with his band of teenage friends and he gave the character depth and life.  I am also a huge Frank Miller DD friend and they both did similar great things but Starlin created this outstanding cosmic universe as well.  I am re-reading the entire Starlin Warlock & Cap Marvel run and still enjoying it.     

50 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Could not agree more.  Starlin was writing stuff that was so beyond anyone else at the time that it boggles the mind.  Smart,creative and trippy.  Warlock was a fairly lame character that was going no where with his band of teenage friends and he gave the character depth and life.  I am also a huge Frank Miller DD friend and they both did similar great things but Starlin created this outstanding cosmic universe as well.  I am re-reading the entire Starlin Warlock & Cap Marvel run and still enjoying it.     

What gets me with no disrespect to Neal Adams who is a great artist is Jim Starlin wrote his own stuff and created more memorable characters,yet Neal Adams is considered the king of bronze age artists by a landslide compared to Jim Starlin. I could go back and read the Jim Starlin Warlock Masterwork and it is not dated. I did not have that same experience when I re-read the Denny O'neil/Neal Adams GL/GA or Roy Thomas/Neal Adams X-Men. 

58 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What gets me with no disrespect to Neal Adams who is a great artist is Jim Starlin wrote his own stuff and created more memorable characters,yet Neal Adams is considered the king of bronze age artists by a landslide compared to Jim Starlin. I could go back and read the Jim Starlin Warlock Masterwork and it is not dated. I did not have that same experience when I re-read the Denny O'neil/Neal Adams GL/GA or Roy Thomas/Neal Adams X-Men. 

Totally agree.  Neal Adams has a beautiful realistic and unique style but Starlin had gorgeous artwork with the even better writing on top of that.  I think Starlin gets less credit because he was not as prolific over time whereas Adams has been going strong in the industry consistently and is still a force.    

Because Starlin was before my time I had no idea that he was an artist till he did Breed I really only knew him from his writing on Silver Surfer. Over the years I have gone back to look at his other work.

I thought Adams art was cleaner especially if you look at his X-men vs Starlin's Warlock. An inker plays a part in this as well because Starlin's later stuff looks much better. Cover wise I think they are both brilliant I couldn't pick between the two.

Adams stuff may be dated content wise but the attitude it portrayed in dealing with social problems is generally well regarded these days while the druggy trippy psychobabble aspect of the 60s and early 70s is regarded with a bit of "what were they thinking".  Odd given the fact that Starlin seems incredibly grounded whenever we have spoken and Neal seems off in space and about to leave on a cosmic journey at a moment's notice.

Artistic merit only gets you so far; you need champions of your work for lasting notoriety. (This has been a growing and fascinating subject for me.)

12 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I love Adams/O'neil's Batman stuff, it's just timeless and classic, but when I first read Starlin's Warlock it blew my mind. I couldn't peel my eyes away from this page. How could he do so much on one page, catch up the reader, set up the story, and have a header with such meaning. I wasn't born until years after all this was written, and I had the ability to read it all in one go; but to me Starlin is just as, or more, brilliant, timeless, and classic.

kwHVTUF.jpg

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Adams stuff may be dated content wise but the attitude it portrayed in dealing with social problems is generally well regarded these days while the druggy trippy psychobabble aspect of the 60s and early 70s is regarded with a bit of "what were they thinking".  Odd given the fact that Starlin seems incredibly grounded whenever we have spoken and Neal seems off in space and about to leave on a cosmic journey at a moment's notice.

Artistic merit only gets you so far; you need champions of your work for lasting notoriety. (This has been a growing and fascinating subject for me.)

Bah! Miller, Starlin, Adams . . . they were all hacks.   :grin:

On 2/25/2017 at 9:55 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I feel that O'neil & Adams' GL/GA run still hold up quite well as does Adams' Strange Adventures Deadman series. Of course, Starlin's Warlock is on a whole different level.

It's funny when you look at the end of the original X-Men series, the artists back to back were Steranko, Smith and Adams, 3 giants in a row then the book went to all reprints. Crazy

1 hour ago, Lonzilla said:

I feel that O'neil & Adams' GL/GA run still hold up quite well as does Adams' Strange Adventures Deadman series. Of course, Starlin's Warlock is on a whole different level.

It's funny when you look at the end of the original X-Men series, the artists back to back were Steranko, Smith and Adams, 3 giants in a row then the book went to all reprints. Crazy

Starlin's Warlock is on a whole different level yes indeed. I think the reason why Neal Adams is 10 times more popular is because he drew Batman. Let`'s face it Batman got Neal Adams way more exposure than Jim Starlin writing and drawing Warlock. These Starlin Warlocks could be vastly undervalued now, as not many people in the mainstream ever heard of Warlock the key central figure in the Thanos saga.

16 hours ago, Chadwick said:

I love Adams/O'neil's Batman stuff, it's just timeless and classic, but when I first read Starlin's Warlock it blew my mind. I couldn't peel my eyes away from this page. How could he do so much on one page, catch up the reader, set up the story, and have a header with such meaning. I wasn't born until years after all this was written, and I had the ability to read it all in one go; but to me Starlin is just as, or more, brilliant, timeless, and classic.

kwHVTUF.jpg

Great example.

There is a period during his Captain Marvel run. I think, Starlin

drew the male heroes too muscular . It detracted from the aesthetic , and marred a few covers.

With Warlock ,the overly blocky, body builder, uber muscular look was discarded for a more streamlined look 

Captain_Marvel_31.jpg

Warlock-9.jpg

On 2/25/2017 at 10:56 PM, Bronx said:

Totally agree.  Neal Adams has a beautiful realistic and unique style but Starlin had gorgeous artwork with the even better writing on top of that.  I think Starlin gets less credit because he was not as prolific over time whereas Adams has been going strong in the industry consistently and is still a force.    

Love the starlin stuff, but Adams' pencils were technically stronger, even if starlin is a great story teller... starlin, however, tightened it up a lot for dreadstar

6 hours ago, MediumLover said:

Great example.

There is a period during his Captain Marvel run. I think, Starlin

drew the male heroes too muscular . It detracted from the aesthetic , and marred a few covers.

With Warlock ,the overly blocky, body builder, uber muscular look was discarded for a more streamlined look 

Captain_Marvel_31.jpg

Warlock-9.jpg

Anyone else think that Starlin had an Aryan fetish? All 3 of his most associated characters are blonde, and he made Mar-Vell from gray to blonde. Just a thought

3 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

None to peddle at all of your shill accounts , otherwise you would have provided the linkage :insane:

You should have looked at completed items . . . :bigsmile:  And you should know they aren't shills, if you did your homework.^^

Just now, divad said:

You should have looked at completed items . . . :bigsmile:  And you should know they aren't shills, if you did your homework.^^

Your admission to setting up numerous eBay accounts to dodge fees, yeah those shill accounts:foryou:

On 2/25/2017 at 9:55 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Well, it's a lot easier to write space stuff that doesn't date than earthbound stuff that doesn't date. And I believe Neal actually did a fair amount of credited writing back in the day. Deadman, I think, for one.

1 hour ago, divad said:

Plenty of Miller, Starlin and Adams available . . . tomorrow  :wink:

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Your admission to setting up numerous eBay accounts to dodge fees, yeah those shill accounts:foryou:

They're not shill accounts, they're fee dodging accounts.  If they were shill accounts they would be bidding on each others auctions.  Now, if he was hitting yuge BINS on one account to make the market value appear higher and then selling the same items on one of the other accounts, that would be shilly, but I don't see any evidence of that.  He asks top dollar and has the patience to hold out and sell one book a month from each of the accounts at the price he wants.