• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Never saw much in Champions. Bunch of B and C listers that didn't work.

No new characters or even new villains from memory. All I remember was Pluto, the Stranger, Swarm, among others.

Some are just buying up 1s and throwing darts at the board.

Agreed, kind of interesting as a kid, but nothing will "Happen" with Champions. If the Defenders get no respect, there is no way the Champions will with a 15 issue series.

Never saw much in Champions. Bunch of B and C listers that didn't work.

No new characters or even new villains from memory. All I remember was Pluto, the Stranger, Swarm, among others.

Some are just buying up 1s and throwing darts at the board.

During the 90's boom period I think it was hyped more because of Ghost Rider becoming a hot character?

#1s in general are getting lots of love even if not a 1st appearance. Why is Doctor Strange 1 and Black Panther 1 so hot right now? Both of them are not anywhere near the first appearances of those characters. Seems like if it's #1, it's gold.

#1s in general are getting lots of love even if not a 1st appearance. Why is Doctor Strange 1 and Black Panther 1 so hot right now? Both of them are not anywhere near the first appearances of those characters. Seems like if it's #1, it's gold.

I fell for this every time I saw it on the cover in the 70s -

firstissueballoon.jpg

Shhh! Don't ask questions unless they're about my stacks of Bronze Age #1s that I finally found in the back of the closet.

Black Panther #1 so super-rare I only have 10 copies left...

Because every time a Bronze #1 sells an angel gets his wings

Because every time a Bronze #1 sells an angel gets his wings

lol

I fell for this every time I saw it on the cover in the 70s -

firstissueballoon.jpg

Exactly. Just like I did when I was in my early teens in the 70s - especially with that issue, Star Wars 1. Time for another group to make all the same mistakes all over again.

Just a reminder. Marvel no longer has the trademark for The Champions. There will never be another Champions comic.

"Since 1987, Heroic Publishing has used the name "The Champions" for a role-playing game series which has been adapted into comic books. The United States Patent and Trademark Office has ruled that Marvel abandoned its trademark of the name and can no longer use "The Champions" as the name of a comic book series. A planned 2007 revival of the series was renamed The Order."

Just a reminder. Marvel no longer has the trademark for The Champions. There will never be another Champions comic.

"Since 1987, Heroic Publishing has used the name "The Champions" for a role-playing game series which has been adapted into comic books. The United States Patent and Trademark Office has ruled that Marvel abandoned its trademark of the name and can no longer use "The Champions" as the name of a comic book series. A planned 2007 revival of the series was renamed The Order."

Good info I did not know that !

Hmm, not sure...really?

interesting info

interesting info

While im sure if Disney wanted to, they could pick up this fight and win or just buy out that other company, I don't see why they would waste their time with it.

I also do no see this affecting them being able to name a MOVIE " The Champions" or a team inside another movie " The Champions"

It seems with that patent info, the only thing they lost is comic publishing rights to the name, nothing else.

interesting info

While im sure if Disney wanted to, they could pick up this fight and win or just buy out that other company, I don't see why they would waste their time with it.

I also do no see this affecting them being able to name a MOVIE " The Champions" or a team inside another movie " The Champions"

It seems with that patent info, the only thing they lost is comic publishing rights to the name, nothing else.

"The Champions" trademark is owned by Heroic Publishing. Once again, there will never be a comic, movie or tv show of "The Champions" done by Marvel.

If Disney really wanted to, it could buy Heroic. Probably for less than it spent on catering for the Avengers movie.

Then it could decide if it really wanted to do a movie about Ghost Rider, Hercules, Black Widow, Iceman and Angel. Three of which are under contract to other studios, one of which is public domain, and one of which is is in the Avengers.

lol

Hmm, not sure...really?

Well, nothing is 100% of course. However, why should Doctor Strange 1 and Black Panther 1 get hot if not for the fact that they are # 1 issues? We're seeing the same thing with Inhumans 1. None of these are first appearances (not even close) and yet they are in high demand right now.

Nobody seems to want Black Goliath # 1. However, if he's put in a movie then BOING! BG 1 isn't a first appearance either. However, it's a # 1 and would blow up if a movie came into play. When people pony up BIG bucks for 2nd appearances (think Rocket Raccoon and Black Adam) nothing surprises me anymore.

Hmm, not sure...really?

Well, nothing is 100% of course. However, why should Doctor Strange 1 and Black Panther 1 get hot if not for the fact that they are # 1 issues? We're seeing the same thing with Inhumans 1. None of these are first appearances (not even close) and yet they are in high demand right now.

Nobody seems to want Black Goliath # 1. However, if he's put in a movie then BOING! BG 1 isn't a first appearance either. However, it's a # 1 and would blow up if a movie came into play. When people pony up BIG bucks for 2nd appearances (think Rocket Raccoon and Black Adam) nothing surprises me anymore.

You answered your own question.