• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Picked up a Marvel Tales 106 (First Punisher Reprint) for less than $20.00 in NM, same cover but different background color. Have to say this reprint is a cheap alternative and I have a feeling has lots of room for growth.

This is insane IMO! Not sure what the accepted offer was on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Tales-106-CGC-9-8-1st-App-of-the-Punisher-Reprints-ASM-129-/111531669252?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f7ce3704

Guessing it must have been somewhere within $100.00 or less of the asking price.

Why? Why? Spend that much on a reprint when you could get the real one for this: (not my auction)

$250.00

Seriously? $250.00?! Spend another $50 and someone could get this:(not my auction)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-129-Feb-1974-Marvel-1ST-PUNISHER-NICE-MID-GRADE-/251787285903?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a9fb1158f&rmvSB=true

Because collecting these days is also about rarity.

GPA on 9.8s anybody?

I understand that. I know that comic collectors have different tastes

and collecting focuses. Not trying to smack on whoever bought the

book (or derail this thread).

My comments and surprise on this was that I've read more

than once that this is a less expensive way to fill a key issue

hole in a collection now that the actual books / key issues are

getting way too expensive for a lot of collectors.

If someone is going to pay that much to fill a key issue hole

in a collection, then why not spend that kind of $$$

on a nice mid-grade of the actual issue. IMHO is the better

buy in the long run than the reprint, but if someone is focusing

on collecting 9.8s of Marvel Tales (or other reprint titles) then great!

Because collecting these days is also about rarity.

GPA on 9.8s anybody?

I understand that. I know that comic collectors have different tastes

and collecting focuses. Not trying to smack on whoever bought the

book (or derail this thread).

My comments and surprise on this was that I've read more

than once that this is a less expensive way to fill a key issue

hole in a collection now that the actual books / key issues are

getting way too expensive for a lot of collectors.

If someone is going to pay that much to fill a key issue hole

in a collection, then why not spend that kind of $$$

on a nice mid-grade of the actual issue. IMHO is the better

buy in the long run than the reprint, but if someone is focusing

on collecting 9.8s of Marvel Tales (or other reprint titles) then great!

+1 Agree with all of this.

Depends on the specific circumstances.

My personal choice to "fill a hole" in my Spidey run would be to purchase the 1st printing.

But if someone is collecting a Marvel Tales run, that is probably a jewel.

So I understand it coming from the two different perspectives.

Hard to judge without details.

I know there was talk about Marvel Tales 98 and 99 (ASM 121-122) heating up...then I felt as though they had cooled off...any thoughts?

I still grab them whenever I find them in the wild, and they're usually a quick sell. I don't think they go for quite as much as they did late summer... but I think in general the bronze reprint titles of key issues are still selling well.

The ASM #129 reprint is very nice, and I would settle with it, but having a low grade copy now, and a low grade copy of the original #129 I must say that the Marvel Tales reprint is printed a lot worse, as it came out in the late 1970s, the worst period ever for the printing quality of the insides.

The #129, being from the early 1970s is printed in an excellent way. That is, if you care to read the story in its best shape. :)

Marvel tales issues really are undervalued, let's face it Marvel Tales 1 is still a 60's book and has reprint stories of all the best heroes at a fraction of the price. Not withstanding how little a high grade copy exists, as people treated these as worthless reprints at the time.

Marvel tales issues really are undervalued, let's face it Marvel Tales 1 is still a 60's book and has reprint stories of all the best heroes at a fraction of the price. Not withstanding how little a high grade copy exists, as people treated these as worthless reprints at the time.

You think 98/99/106 is undervalued? They're reprints, I think when high grade versions start to equal the price, or close to the price, of low grade versions the ceiling is hit.

You think 98/99/106 is undervalued? They're reprints, I think when high grade versions start to equal the price, or close to the price, of low grade versions the ceiling is hit.

Yes and were not there yet.

The most interesting part about this to me is that DC just sat and watched Marvel reprint old stories for two decades. It's a testament to the brand of Spider-Man vs anybody else.

Yes and were not there yet.

The most interesting part about this to me is that DC just sat and watched Marvel reprint old stories for two decades. It's a testament to the brand of Spider-Man vs anybody else.

Alright, then I'll sell you 98 and 99 (low grade copies) for $40 shipped.

I know that seller, and it looks like all his auctions are on the high side. This was a good sale for him.

I had not realize these books had increased in value so much. However, is that a Whitman copy? (shrug)

Just looked at my copies of this book and both say "still 35 cents" in the price box.

I know that seller, and it looks like all his auctions are on the high side. This was a good sale for him.

I had not realize these books had increased in value so much. However, is that a Whitman copy? (shrug)

Just looked at my copies of this book and both say "still 35 cents" in the price box.

Your copies are newsstand copies, the diamond box is an example of early direct editions.

Your copies are newsstand copies, the diamond box is an example of early direct editions.

Yeah, certainly possible. I bought mine from either my LCS or off the newsstand. Just don't recall direct edition sales taking place that far back.

Yeah, certainly possible. I bought mine from either my LCS or off the newsstand. Just don't recall direct edition sales taking place that far back.

Direct Editions started around 1978 or so. Micronauts #1 is another good example of having a goo mix of direct editions and newsstand editions.