• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

They're all VF- or better IMO, minor corner wear.

#42 has a small soil smudge in the "A" of "Star" and small CBC on lower left corner.

#68 has a small very fine CBC in lower right corner on an otherwise spectacular cover.

#107 has a couple spine ticks and a light ink-smudge in the price-box.

PQ on all of these is excellent, W/OW and the backs are all clean and creaseless.

They were in a mixed box of bronze and not marked and so he offered $2 for each Boba and $3 for 107 and I said "Sure" - and then he pulled out a copy of OPG to get a gauge on 107 and said I was getting a good deal because 107 had a low print run.

I said "Thanks!"

I only go to this LCS maybe every other month, but now I'm putting this LCS on higher rotation for my LCS runs. :cool: Out them :sumo: I have a pretty good guess which one it is...

hm if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a long drive for you, Mike

Boxs of unpriced books... I'm guessing either JJ or Howard. hm

hm

I didn't see anyone mention it but 1st Boba has now hit $700

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-42-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-/111668232710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff20206

And 68 and 81 are both very healthy

And of course Star Wars 1 is crazy hot with the latest sale at $2400.00 in 9.8 :insane:

No mention on the label, huh? I wonder if they're all like that or if at some point they started making note of it. IIRC, isn't there an earlier non-comic appearance that some claim to be the actual 1st appearance much like Rocket Raccoon?

It depends on your definition of a comic book:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2014/12/first-appearance-boba-fett.html

I've also been buying the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics for much less than what people are buying Star Wars #42 for:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 1980 Marvel Comics 02114 1st UNREAD P4547

It's interesting to me that the 4th printing of the material goes for $700 (granted it is CGC 9.8) but the first printing of the material can be had for $12.50. :grin:

The comic book format with Boba Fett on the cover will win out every day of the week in the eyes of the wanting. Good luck trying to change the prevailing perceptions.

Just like... a comic I talk about a lot!

:D:whistle::ohnoez:

-slym ( :jokealert: )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-42-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-/111668232710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff20206

And of course Star Wars 1 is crazy hot with the latest sale at $2400.00 in 9.8 :insane:

No mention on the label, huh? I wonder if they're all like that or if at some point they started making note of it. IIRC, isn't there an earlier non-comic appearance that some claim to be the actual 1st appearance much like Rocket Raccoon?

I've also been buying the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics for much less than what people are buying Star Wars #42 for:

It's interesting to me that the 4th printing of the material goes for $700 (granted it is CGC 9.8) but the first printing of the material can be had for $12.50. :grin:

The comic book format with Boba Fett on the cover will win out every day of the week in the eyes of the wanting. Good luck trying to change the prevailing perceptions.

I'm not trying to change the perception. I have far more copies of Star Wars #42 that I will ever have of the Marvel Illustration Version of The Empire Strikes Back. Finding the paperback in NM condition is not easy; finding Star Wars #42 is NM condition is easy if you have the money. I just find it amusing the difference in prices.

Edited by rjrjr

I agree with you 100%. I didn't mean good luck for you to try and change public perception. I meant in general for anyone.

You know how it is. Once the herd starts moving in one direction, it's not easy to steer them down the right path.

They're all VF- or better IMO, minor corner wear.

#42 has a small soil smudge in the "A" of "Star" and small CBC on lower left corner.

#68 has a small very fine CBC in lower right corner on an otherwise spectacular cover.

#107 has a couple spine ticks and a light ink-smudge in the price-box.

PQ on all of these is excellent, W/OW and the backs are all clean and creaseless.

They were in a mixed box of bronze and not marked and so he offered $2 for each Boba and $3 for 107 and I said "Sure" - and then he pulled out a copy of OPG to get a gauge on 107 and said I was getting a good deal because 107 had a low print run.

I said "Thanks!"

I only go to this LCS maybe every other month, but now I'm putting this LCS on higher rotation for my LCS runs. :cool: Out them :sumo: I have a pretty good guess which one it is...

hm if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a long drive for you, Mike

Boxs of unpriced books... I'm guessing either JJ or Howard. hm

hm

My 1st guess would be Howard, but then again he's discovered the internet recently, so he's a little more up to date with some books than in the past.

Marvel Preview #7 and Incredible Hulk #271?

Edited by jaeldubyoo

South/East valley

'nuff said :shy:

My stomping grounds :sumo:

You going to PhxCC? I don't think we've met

I'm thinking of going just Saturday for Steranko, and to cruise the dollar-bins and Ed's booth.

I think I bought some books from you last year (don't remember which ones). Did a local exchange at Chandler Mall Starbucks. Unless I'm thinking of someone else on the board.

Although we're removed from it a bit, I wonder why the 1st magazine and 1st comic appearances of Rocket skyrocketed (hehe), yet the 1st comic appearance of Star-Lord remains cheap.

I haven't read StarLord's first comic appearance. I have his first appearance in the Marvel Premiere, and it's a pretty good read. Much different type of character than whats been portrayed recently... cool glimpse into his origin as well.

Maybe Rocket's first comic appearance is higher than Starlord's is because its in a Hulk comic? Popularity of the character? Difference in print run between the two? Not really sure otherwise...

Edited by Cheesefrog

Marvel Preview 7 - 'First Appearance of Rocket Raccoon' Summer 1976

IH 271 - 'First Comic Book Appearance of Rocket Raccoon' May 1982

Seems pretty clear cut.

Well, except for those of us who think it should be...

IH 271 - 'Second Appearance of Rocket Raccoon' May 1982

South/East valley

'nuff said :shy:

My stomping grounds :sumo:

You going to PhxCC? I don't think we've met

I'm thinking of going just Saturday for Steranko, and to cruise the dollar-bins and Ed's booth.

I think I bought some books from you last year (don't remember which ones). Did a local exchange at Chandler Mall Starbucks. Unless I'm thinking of someone else on the board.

Oh yeah, I remember now - I sold you some GA & SA reprints.

I'll definitely be at PhxCC for Steranko .... And Ed :cloud9:

Edited by Hekla

Seems pretty clear cut.

My point is Marvel Preview #7 is the first appearance, although a magazine. Some people pimp IH #271 as the first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon (with a cover appearance). However, MP #7 is more valuable. Yet Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine) is the first appearance of Boba Fett, but Star wars #42 is more valuable. The same logic does not apply. Yes, the market will decide, but sometimes the "rules" are as clear cut as you think.

Seems pretty clear cut.

My point is Marvel Preview #7 is the first appearance, although a magazine. Some people pimp IH #271 as the first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon (with a cover appearance). However, MP #7 is more valuable. Yet Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine) is the first appearance of Boba Fett, but Star wars #42 is more valuable. The same logic does not apply. Yes, the market will decide, but sometimes the "rules" are as clear cut as you think.

This surprises you why? Logic in our hobby is a purple unicorn...

Seems pretty clear cut.

:) I was being sarcastic - it's not consistent at all. It's just something the collective public has drifted towards. FWIW, thats what's called out on the CGC tags for these books.

Seems pretty clear cut.

:) I was being sarcastic - it's not consistent at all. It's just something the collective public has drifted towards. FWIW, thats what's called out on the CGC tags for these books.

So was I (thumbs u

The inconsistency is frustrating some times, but livetoplayanotherday...