• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Marvel Preview 7 - 'First Appearance of Rocket Raccoon' Summer 1976

IH 271 - 'First Comic Book Appearance of Rocket Raccoon' May 1982

Seems pretty clear cut.

Well, except for those of us who think it should be...

IH 271 - 'Second Appearance of Rocket Raccoon' May 1982

My point is Marvel Preview #7 is the first appearance, although a magazine. Some people pimp IH #271 as the first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon (with a cover appearance). However, MP #7 is more valuable. Yet Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine) is the first appearance of Boba Fett, but Star wars #42 is more valuable. The same logic does not apply. Yes, the market will decide, but sometimes the "rules" are as clear cut as you think.

This surprises you why? Logic in our hobby is a purple unicorn...

:) I was being sarcastic - it's not consistent at all. It's just something the collective public has drifted towards. FWIW, thats what's called out on the CGC tags for these books.

So was I (thumbs u

The inconsistency is frustrating some times, but livetoplayanotherday...

...and technically, in that magazine he's 'Rocky Raccoon'... Not 'Rocket.' So... I don't know what that means. :)

Although we're removed from it a bit, I wonder why the 1st magazine and 1st comic appearances of Rocket skyrocketed (hehe), yet the 1st comic appearance of Star-Lord remains cheap.

I haven't read StarLord's first comic appearance. I have his first appearance in the Marvel Premiere, and it's a pretty good read. Much different type of character than whats been portrayed recently... cool glimpse into his origin as well.

Maybe Rocket's first comic appearance is higher than Starlord's is because its in a Hulk comic? Popularity of the character? Difference in print run between the two? Not really sure otherwise...

because his first comic appearance is like his 10th appearance overall?

Although we're removed from it a bit, I wonder why the 1st magazine and 1st comic appearances of Rocket skyrocketed (hehe), yet the 1st comic appearance of Star-Lord remains cheap.

I haven't read StarLord's first comic appearance. I have his first appearance in the Marvel Premiere, and it's a pretty good read. Much different type of character than whats been portrayed recently... cool glimpse into his origin as well.

Maybe Rocket's first comic appearance is higher than Starlord's is because its in a Hulk comic? Popularity of the character? Difference in print run between the two? Not really sure otherwise...

because his first comic appearance is like his 10th appearance overall?

Crazy talk

Seems pretty clear cut.

My point is Marvel Preview #7 is the first appearance, although a magazine. Some people pimp IH #271 as the first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon (with a cover appearance). However, MP #7 is more valuable. Yet Marvel Super Special #16 (magazine) is the first appearance of Boba Fett, but Star wars #42 is more valuable. The same logic does not apply. Yes, the market will decide, but sometimes the "rules" are as clear cut as you think.

:) I was being sarcastic - it's not consistent at all. It's just something the collective public has drifted towards. FWIW, thats what's called out on the CGC tags for these books.

So was I (thumbs u

The inconsistency is indeed, frustrating. The herd mentality further fueling that inconsistency is even more frustrating.

Seems pretty clear cut.

So was I (thumbs u

The inconsistency is indeed, frustrating. The herd mentality further fueling that inconsistency is even more frustrating.

And this is different from real life, how? (shrug)

...and technically, in that magazine he's 'Rocky Raccoon'... Not 'Rocket.' So... I don't know what that means. :)

It means nothing since the character's creator says it's the same raccoon. :)

Creator-schmeator. :baiting:

(stirs the pot) lol

Seems pretty clear cut.

So was I (thumbs u

Now I'm all frustrated

I didn't see anyone mention it but 1st Boba has now hit $700

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-42-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-/111668232710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff20206

And 68 and 81 are both very healthy

And of course Star Wars 1 is crazy hot with the latest sale at $2400.00 in 9.8 :insane:

No mention on the label, huh? I wonder if they're all like that or if at some point they started making note of it. IIRC, isn't there an earlier non-comic appearance that some claim to be the actual 1st appearance much like Rocket Raccoon?

It depends on your definition of a comic book:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2014/12/first-appearance-boba-fett.html

I've also been buying the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics for much less than what people are buying Star Wars #42 for:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 1980 Marvel Comics 02114 1st UNREAD P4547

It's interesting to me that the 4th printing of the material goes for $700 (granted it is CGC 9.8) but the first printing of the material can be had for $12.50. :grin:

The comic book format with Boba Fett on the cover will win out every day of the week in the eyes of the wanting. Good luck trying to change the prevailing perceptions.

Marvel Preview #7 and Incredible Hulk #271?

RR is on that cover!

Hes hiding behind Satana's bewbs :shy:

a lot of people get worked up over some odd stuff. I (and many others) come to these types of threads to see if there are items in my collection or available elsewhere that I can hopefully find/buy cheaply and possibly turn for a profit. I personally like that there's more than one valuable rocket raccoon comicS, I like that #1's might be profitable even though its not the first appearance. I like that there's some questions, leading to potentially more different valuable comics. It gives ME a better chance of finding an undervalued comic and making money on it. I LIKE that there's some debate, because if everyone could very obviously draw hard lines on what's first/key, most of the good stuff would have been bought up, and there'd be a lot less value out there for me to find.

I'm just as happy buying debateable keys and flipping them for multiples, rather than investing more into 1 key comic and netting 20-30% profit, even if the dollar value profit is the same.

I understand that the comic market can't be understood completely, and that consistency cannot be had. Its not some secret mystery to life that NEEDS to be understood, and to me not worth getting frustrated about. If you have an advantage in knowledge/experience/connections, then press that advantage. There's no moral high horse here. Your kids won't be prouder of you for convincing the strangers of the difference between the first magazine and comic appearances of Rocket/Rocky Raccoon, you won't get into a better college, you won't get hotter girls. Just get by while you can, make a buck while you can, and enjoy the ride. If you're not enjoying the ride, maybe you should switch roads.

Seems pretty clear cut.

So was I (thumbs u

Real life can be frustrating too.

They're all VF- or better IMO, minor corner wear.

#42 has a small soil smudge in the "A" of "Star" and small CBC on lower left corner.

#68 has a small very fine CBC in lower right corner on an otherwise spectacular cover.

#107 has a couple spine ticks and a light ink-smudge in the price-box.

PQ on all of these is excellent, W/OW and the backs are all clean and creaseless.

They were in a mixed box of bronze and not marked and so he offered $2 for each Boba and $3 for 107 and I said "Sure" - and then he pulled out a copy of OPG to get a gauge on 107 and said I was getting a good deal because 107 had a low print run.

I said "Thanks!"

I only go to this LCS maybe every other month, but now I'm putting this LCS on higher rotation for my LCS runs. :cool: Out them :sumo: I have a pretty good guess which one it is...

hm if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a long drive for you, Mike

Boxs of unpriced books... I'm guessing either JJ or Howard. hm

hm

My 1st guess would be Howard, but then again he's discovered the internet recently, so he's a little more up to date with some books than in the past.

:o:cry:

They're all VF- or better IMO, minor corner wear.

#42 has a small soil smudge in the "A" of "Star" and small CBC on lower left corner.

#68 has a small very fine CBC in lower right corner on an otherwise spectacular cover.

#107 has a couple spine ticks and a light ink-smudge in the price-box.

PQ on all of these is excellent, W/OW and the backs are all clean and creaseless.

They were in a mixed box of bronze and not marked and so he offered $2 for each Boba and $3 for 107 and I said "Sure" - and then he pulled out a copy of OPG to get a gauge on 107 and said I was getting a good deal because 107 had a low print run.

I said "Thanks!"

I only go to this LCS maybe every other month, but now I'm putting this LCS on higher rotation for my LCS runs. :cool: Out them :sumo: I have a pretty good guess which one it is...

hm if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a long drive for you, Mike

Boxs of unpriced books... I'm guessing either JJ or Howard. hm

hm

My 1st guess would be Howard, but then again he's discovered the internet recently, so he's a little more up to date with some books than in the past.

:o:cry:

Howard Harris is my favorite comic book dealer of all time. I can't believe I've known him for almost 20 years. He's a nice, decent, fair, unflappable guy.

And I'm not a fan of comic book dealers in general.

;)

Seems pretty clear cut.

6 years between the Rocket mag and comic might be the difference there.

Seems pretty clear cut.

So was I (thumbs u

Real life can be frustrating too.

You know what really frustrates me...the inconsistency in MLB with the designated hitter....and putting together IKEA furniture...

a lot of people get worked up over some odd stuff. I (and many others) come to these types of threads to see if there are items in my collection or available elsewhere that I can hopefully find/buy cheaply and possibly turn for a profit. I personally like that there's more than one valuable rocket raccoon comicS, I like that #1's might be profitable even though its not the first appearance. I like that there's some questions, leading to potentially more different valuable comics. It gives ME a better chance of finding an undervalued comic and making money on it. I LIKE that there's some debate, because if everyone could very obviously draw hard lines on what's first/key, most of the good stuff would have been bought up, and there'd be a lot less value out there for me to find.

I'm just as happy buying debateable keys and flipping them for multiples, rather than investing more into 1 key comic and netting 20-30% profit, even if the dollar value profit is the same.

I understand that the comic market can't be understood completely, and that consistency cannot be had. Its not some secret mystery to life that NEEDS to be understood, and to me not worth getting frustrated about. If you have an advantage in knowledge/experience/connections, then press that advantage. There's no moral high horse here. Your kids won't be prouder of you for convincing the strangers of the difference between the first magazine and comic appearances of Rocket/Rocky Raccoon, you won't get into a better college, you won't get hotter girls. Just get by while you can, make a buck while you can, and enjoy the ride. If you're not enjoying the ride, maybe you should switch roads.

Great post. :applause:

Great post. :applause:

thanks.

If it keeps you up at night that the masses (or well-intentioned boardies) think Xmen 266 is the first Gambit, you are doing it wrong. Take a deep breath, take a break, and go read some of the earliest Teen Titans, and privately chuckle to yourself about any and all dialogue involving Wondergirl.

Looks like a Forever People #1 CGC 9.4 sold on eBay Thursday for $899, which is very odd considering the number of copies that are available with BINs hundreds of dollars less.

I have a 9.6 white but it needs to be re-holdered. Glad I didn't sell it. I had no idea it would take off like this. Surely it will fall back just about as hard.