• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Just finished reading Marvel Premiere #1. High Evolutionary gives Warlock a jewel, but he does not refer to it as the "soul gem". If you want the first appearance of the jewel itself and could care less about the name, this would probably fit the bill. The one caveat to all this being if there is an obscure backstory somewhere as to how the High Evolutionary obtains the jewel.

They're all VF- or better IMO, minor corner wear.

#42 has a small soil smudge in the "A" of "Star" and small CBC on lower left corner.

#68 has a small very fine CBC in lower right corner on an otherwise spectacular cover.

#107 has a couple spine ticks and a light ink-smudge in the price-box.

PQ on all of these is excellent, W/OW and the backs are all clean and creaseless.

They were in a mixed box of bronze and not marked and so he offered $2 for each Boba and $3 for 107 and I said "Sure" - and then he pulled out a copy of OPG to get a gauge on 107 and said I was getting a good deal because 107 had a low print run.

I said "Thanks!"

I only go to this LCS maybe every other month, but now I'm putting this LCS on higher rotation for my LCS runs. :cool:

Sounds like you did well. Congrats.

I've tried that too.

It's a tough book. For me anyways...

It's a tough book period. But, there are still a lot of BA collections out there, and by it's nature (even with the internet) it is a very personal and private affair. :wishluck:

This is the one book I have never found in 9.4+ in any DC/Batman centric collection I have picked up. The main Batman issues (227, 232, 234, 251, etc.) and Tec issues (395, 400) are easy to land in high grade, but the post-400 Tec books tend to be hit and miss condition wise in the collections. Tec #405 (1st League of Assassins) is another tough book in high grade (9.4+).

They are out there. I bought two beautiful raw copies out of OO collections over the past 10 years. One slabbed out 9.8 white and the other in my collection is 9.4/9.6.

Still haven't found a 9.4+ Tomahawk 116 though. Now that's a tough Adams book in true NM or better.

Kept this one since the 9.8 had a miswrap.

Gorgeous copy! The best I have done with private OO collections is a 9.0ish copy. My old 9.2 was a purchase from Brian/foolkiller a few years back. The problem I find locally is that most Batman collectors up here upgraded/took better care of their Batman run issues and considered the Tecs to be less important to their collections. I have noticed a shift the past few years from Adams collectors wanting both titles at the local shows to them primarily going after only the Batman run........

A few years ago, a board member offered raw copies of 401-411 as a group for $120. This was among them...

detective411.jpg

You're welcome! :foryou:

I've tried that too.

It's a tough book period. But, there are still a lot of BA collections out there, and by it's nature (even with the internet) it is a very personal and private affair. :wishluck:

This is the one book I have never found in 9.4+ in any DC/Batman centric collection I have picked up. The main Batman issues (227, 232, 234, 251, etc.) and Tec issues (395, 400) are easy to land in high grade, but the post-400 Tec books tend to be hit and miss condition wise in the collections. Tec #405 (1st League of Assassins) is another tough book in high grade (9.4+).

They are out there. I bought two beautiful raw copies out of OO collections over the past 10 years. One slabbed out 9.8 white and the other in my collection is 9.4/9.6.

Still haven't found a 9.4+ Tomahawk 116 though. Now that's a tough Adams book in true NM or better.

Gorgeous copy! The best I have done with private OO collections is a 9.0ish copy. My old 9.2 was a purchase from Brian/foolkiller a few years back. The problem I find locally is that most Batman collectors up here upgraded/took better care of their Batman run issues and considered the Tecs to be less important to their collections. I have noticed a shift the past few years from Adams collectors wanting both titles at the local shows to them primarily going after only the Batman run........

A few years ago, a board member offered raw copies of 401-411 as a group for $120. This was among them...

detective411.jpg

Who is the woman tied at the stake? :whee:

I've tried that too.

detective411.jpg

(worship)

I still have the 407!

They're all VF- or better IMO, minor corner wear.

#42 has a small soil smudge in the "A" of "Star" and small CBC on lower left corner.

#68 has a small very fine CBC in lower right corner on an otherwise spectacular cover.

#107 has a couple spine ticks and a light ink-smudge in the price-box.

PQ on all of these is excellent, W/OW and the backs are all clean and creaseless.

They were in a mixed box of bronze and not marked and so he offered $2 for each Boba and $3 for 107 and I said "Sure" - and then he pulled out a copy of OPG to get a gauge on 107 and said I was getting a good deal because 107 had a low print run.

I said "Thanks!"

I only go to this LCS maybe every other month, but now I'm putting this LCS on higher rotation for my LCS runs. :cool: Out them :sumo: I have a pretty good guess which one it is...

hm if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a long drive for you, Mike

Boxs of unpriced books... I'm guessing either JJ or Howard. hm Edited by Mike's Rack

I've tried that too.

tec411-1.jpg

What's TEC again?

I didn't see anyone mention it but 1st Boba has now hit $700

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-42-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-/111668232710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff20206

And 68 and 81 are both very healthy

And of course Star Wars 1 is crazy hot with the latest sale at $2400.00 in 9.8 :insane:

Just picked up these three from a LCS.... $7 out the door. :cool:

StarWars42_68_107_zpse5iuzawg.jpg

There are still deals to be found!

That is an awesome find! Whatever you do, don't read #107. You'll be glad you didn't. ;)

Ah Gotcha. They should have just said DET :)

Seriously?

TEC, or sometimes 'tec, is a time-honored term as it's the most distinctive syllable in the word 'detective', and will be defended to levels that would stagger the mind. Probably.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-42-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-/111668232710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff20206

And of course Star Wars 1 is crazy hot with the latest sale at $2400.00 in 9.8 :insane:

No mention on the label, huh? I wonder if they're all like that or if at some point they started making note of it. IIRC, isn't there an earlier non-comic appearance that some claim to be the actual 1st appearance much like Rocket Raccoon?

No mention on the label, huh? I wonder if they're all like that or if at some point they started making note of it. IIRC, isn't there an earlier non-comic appearance that some claim to be the actual 1st appearance much like Rocket Raccoon?

Thank you! :acclaim:

Thank you! :acclaim:

lol

I guess that means 'yes'.

It depends on your definition of a comic book:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2014/12/first-appearance-boba-fett.html

Edited by rjrjr

I've also been buying the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics for much less than what people are buying Star Wars #42 for:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 1980 Marvel Comics 02114 1st UNREAD P4547

It's interesting to me that the 4th printing of the material goes for $700 (granted it is CGC 9.8) but the first printing of the material can be had for $12.50. :grin:

Edited by rjrjr

I've also been buying the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics for much less than what people are buying Star Wars #42 for:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 1980 Marvel Comics 02114 1st UNREAD P4547

It's interesting to me that the 4th printing of the material goes for $700 (granted it is CGC 9.8) but the first printing of the material can be had for $12.50. :grin:

The comic book format with Boba Fett on the cover will win out every day of the week in the eyes of the wanting. Good luck trying to change the prevailing perceptions.