• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

War Is Hell 9 and 10 seem to be quickly gathering steam as early Death Appearances, rumored to be in the Doctor Strange movie.

I believe Captain Marvel 26 is the first appearance although it's a little fuzzy to me.

And I am quite sure I own zero copies of War is Hell 9 and 10. Those were the first non-reprint issues.

WIH #9 or CM #26..

I was always curious about this myself. Anyone?

But no one ever dies.

... in Modern comics.

That's the joke, since late-90's-2000's, Marvel Comics has been one big What If run and I am certain that writers are cribbing from the old issues. It's too close to be a massive coincidence.

WIH #9 or CM #26..

Captain Marvel 26 - that is a 1973 comic and War is Hell is a 1974. Even easier, CM 26 is 20-cent and WiH 9 is 25-cents.

WIH #9 or CM #26..

Captain Marvel 26 - that is a 1973 comic and War is Hell is a 1974. Even easier, CM 26 is 20-cent and WiH 9 is 25-cents.

In my mind, these are not even the same character. Mistress Death is an aspect of death that clearly is feminine. The other character is not.

WIH #9 or CM #26..

In my mind, these are not even the same character. Mistress Death is an aspect of death that clearly is feminine. The other character is not.

Well, aside from "the Pieta" swipe on the cover of the Death of Captain Marvel, death looks pretty androgenous (i.e., dead) to me - I never thought of the Grim Reaper as feminine . . . :grin:

WIH #9 or CM #26..

That was my assumption as well..

WIH #9 or CM #26..

That' just how it showed itself to Thanos.

WIH #9 or CM #26..

I think this makes sense. Death can appear to everyone differently.

How that guy is still selling is beyond me..

Makes me very curious what's required to be an overstreet price guide adviser.

Buying advertising in the book is the way to do it.

There are "Overstreet Price Guide Advisors" who post here and have no clue what they're talking about, and when shown proof that they don't, arrogantly dismiss it and those posting it.

There are also OPG advisors who are at the top of their games, and know exactly what's what (I'm looking at you, FD.)

There are people who aren't OPG advisors who know just as much as the most knowledgeable advisors, and more.

So...as in all things, just the label alone isn't nearly enough.

WIH #9 or CM #26..

I think this makes sense. Death can appear to everyone differently.

True.

Death appears to me as a bread-stick armed CGC board member.

:D