• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So i'm watching Pawn stars and...

22 posts in this topic

A guy walks in with 2 beautiful Playboy OA for cartoons from the 1950's.

The artist is Phil Interlandi.

They look really nice and clean.

He's found them stuck inside something else he's bought at a sale.

Basically he got 'em free.

Goes to Big Hoss and deals.

Guy:I'd like to get 100 for both.

Big Hoss:I shouldn't be telling you this but they're worth a lot more.

I'll give you 500 for each.

I think i heard a thump in the back,probably Rick fainting.

Then every other episode,he keeps wondering how come they haven't made him partner yet.

Mmmmmm hm

Rick has done this before too with a piece of jewelry. And yes these are also setup so they don't look like complete scum.

They've done it more than just that time when the lady brought in a black widow Fabergé brooch. Hoss probably worded it that way because of the way that lady with the brooch tried to take advantage of Rick for being honest. Rick almost backed out of buying it because of the classless attitude the lady demonstrated in a situation where she should have been appreciative that he was being honest, rather than trying to squeeze him for ever penny she could.

Before I die I want to go to Vegas and visit this pawn shop...

+ 1

Hopefully I'll be surprised

And it not be the same

every pawnshop has.

I've been there... It's much smaller than it looks on television. They tend not to show the racks of Pawn Stars T-shirts and swag for sale either.

Otherwise, it's a ways down the strip past the Stratosphere...

I was watching American Pickers a couple of weeks ago. They go to a barber shop somewhere in Pa. The owner has a room under the barber shop, where he has toys and comic books. In a display case there are AF #15, Hulk #1, FF #1, etc, etc. He also has a storage building across the street, where he has a bunch of old signs and what-not.

The pickers fixate on the Amazing Fantasy #15 and end up buying it for $4,500. A "professional" comic guy later, gives it a grade of 2.5 or 3.0. It ain't a bad looking book but it does have a lot of Marvel Chipping.

The seller came down from 6,500 asking price. The "professional" tells them they could easily sell it for $5,500, so they figure they made a thousand bucks and give each other a high five.

Here's the thing. They don't even look at or ask about the Hulk and FF #1's. Nor the ASM #1, FF 48, Avengers #1, etc, on and on. At least they did not on camera.

I should take a trip to Pennsylvania and get a haircut.

I was watching American Pickers a couple of weeks ago. They go to a barber shop somewhere in Pa. The owner has a room under the barber shop, where he has toys and comic books. In a display case there are AF #15, Hulk #1, FF #1, etc, etc. He also has a storage building across the street, where he has a bunch of old signs and what-not.

The pickers fixate on the Amazing Fantasy #15 and end up buying it for $4,500. A "professional" comic guy later, gives it a grade of 2.5 or 3.0. It ain't a bad looking book but it does have a lot of Marvel Chipping.

The seller came down from 6,500 asking price. The "professional" tells them they could easily sell it for $5,500, so they figure they made a thousand bucks and give each other a high five.

Here's the thing. They don't even look at or ask about the Hulk and FF #1's. Nor the ASM #1, FF 48, Avengers #1, etc, on and on. At least they did not on camera.

If you have that episode on your DVR, I recommend going back and pausing it at the glass case with those books in it. I believe the FF # 1 and ASM # 1 were GRR's Golden record reprints. No cover price should be a dead give away.

Im just recalling what I remember from watching that show a few weeks ago. I deleted it.

I wondered why they didnt " Bundle " some books instead of just buying one. There were some other decents books there even taking away the GRR's.

If you have that episode on your DVR, I recommend going back and pausing it at the glass case with those books in it. I believe the FF # 1 and ASM # 1 were GRR's Golden record reprints. No cover price should be a dead give away.

Im just recalling what I remember from watching that show a few weeks ago. I deleted it.

I wondered why they didnt " Bundle " some books instead of just buying one. There were some other decents books there even taking away the GRR's.

Yeah they were the GRR's,but that Hulk #1 was sitting there and it was looking pretty good.

+ 1

Hopefully I'll be surprised

And it not be the same

every pawnshop has.

You would be disappointed. The place is small and a dump, overpriced, and full of promotional items for the show. The cameras are placed in spots where the store looks good.

They didn't charge admission when I went two years back, but the show merchandise was moving more than the actual store stock looked like it sat there a while.

I went last March. It is interesting, but there were too many souvenir things you could buy from the show. There was a Wonder Woman 2 behind the case for two grand. I passed.

So were the guys actually working there when you went in?

I think they're a 24 hour operation... So they have staggered shifts. They're all together for the show only I think.

The Old Man was there when we went during the late morning / early afternoon.

Everyone asked for Chumlee but he was off that day. (Cory was probably night shift...)